Aliens in America [Mondays - The CW]

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I know most people don't even know where their local CW resides without looking at the programing guide, but this show is really worth checking out.

I saw the original cut of the pilot a couple months ago and it was easily the best new sitcom of the fall season. They did replace the dad with the guy who owned the diner in "Gilmore Girls" but it really shouldn't be that big of a difference.

It's on at 8:30, if you were a fan of "Freaks and Geeks" or the first couple of seasons of "Malcolm in the Middle" you'd probably like it.

It is a lot better than the standard 3 camera bullshit "Big Bang Theory" airing on CBS at the same time and I think it's on par with Chuck.

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
The Edge of the Water, Norf Jersey
I watched as well...saw strong elements of Arrested Development in it...like most pilot eps, I give a bit of leeway on the storyline for the usually hacky setup endings since that's what it takes to move the storyline along (unless they wanted to make the whole season about how the mom tried to get out of the contract). I laughed more than I thought I would and am looking forward to next week's ep.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
I saw the pre air pilot. It was ok.

I too saw a little Arrested Development in it and that was my biggest problem with it. It tried too hard to be quirky, like with the alpacas and the dead clown joke. A lot of obvious "Americans are so ignorant of other cultures" material didn't help either.

The two leads were good but this isn't on par with Freaks And Geeks or Malcolm In The Middle.

Factor in weak promotion ( I knew nothing about this until a week ago) and I say this puppy is dead by the end of the month.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Factor in weak promotion ( I knew nothing about this until a week ago) and I say this puppy is dead by the end of the month.
It got the same ratings as "Everybody Hates Chris" "Girlfriends" and "The Game". The ratings for all four was up almost 15% from their Sunday night premiers a year ago and the ratings are up a tick from "7th Heaven" and "Runaway" which aired on Mondays last fall.

It's the CW not NBC, this show will stick around for at least 13 eps. We'll know in the next two months if they get picked up for the back nine.

I dug it, as long as it stays consistent, I'll keep dvr'ing it and watching it at some point.

queeby

Irrelevant Liberal
Jun 12, 2004
Columbus OH
I really liked it, I laughed consistantly. I hope it stays funny, it seems like it will be a good show.