All fans will have free TV access to Giants-Pats game

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
The New England Patriots' shot at history Saturday night will be available for every household in the country with a television after months of wrangling.

The game against the New York Giants, in which the Patriots could become the first NFL team to go 16-0 in the regular season, was originally scheduled to be shown only on the NFL Network, which is available in fewer than 40 percent of the nation's homes with TVs.

But the league announced today that the NFL Network feed will be simulcast on NBC and CBS. It's a major concession by league officials, who repeatedly said they would not show the game anywhere but the NFL Network. The NFL had faced mounting pressure from politicians in recent weeks to make the game available to more viewers.

This will be the first three-network simulcast in NFL history and the first simulcast of any kind of an NFL game since the first Super Bowl in 1967, when CBS and NBC both televised the first meeting of the champions of the newly merged National Football League and American Football League.

"We have taken this extraordinary step because it is in the best interest of our fans," Commissioner Roger Goodell said. "What we have seen for the past year is a very strong consumer demand for NFL Network. We appreciate CBS and NBC delivering the NFL Network telecast on Saturday night to the broad audience that deserves to see this potentially historic game. Our commitment to the NFL Network is stronger than ever."

Ronreddog

Unofficial O&A Twitter Tough Guy
May 11, 2007
Sunny Florida
This is awesome news! I was going to go out, and now, I can get drunk if front of my HDTV!

Thanks for the thread MJ!

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Big deal.:rolleyes:
If the Giants are smart they won't put up a fight.
They won a wild card and need to be healthy to play in the next round.

No sense hurting your players for a basically meaningless game.
The Pats going undefeated means nothing to them.
This is a b/s game at this point.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
This is great news. And I don't think the game is as meaningless to either team as BB suggests.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
Yay! Now the politicians are going to step in to help ensure that major cable companies like Comcast can continue to operate under monopoly type conditions and continue to fuck customers over by overcharging while spending the minimum possible to provide the cheapest content possible and rest easy knowing that any group responsible for an event that would create enough public momentum to threaten those conditions will be strong armed into opening it up so the cable companies can carry them....without additional cost to them. That's really a great thing for politicians to be thinking about in war time and all.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
that's awfully white of em.

hopefully we don't miss any of the game watching commercials.

Ronreddog

May 11, 2007
Sunny Florida
I agree BB, and the Giants won't win the game, but, at least I can watch it from the comfort of my apartment, and not have to go out to a sports bar and spend money I don't have.

I wish there would be some settlement with regards to the NFL Network situation, I miss watching it! :(

PartyRock24

Lingering Longer since summer of '06
May 23, 2007
Washington DC
yea im glad even thoguth i dont like the pats. on wackbag who actually gets the NFL network?

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I get the NFL network. I went through the hassle of getting Direct TV to get it (and a couple other channels). I really hoped the NFL wasn't going to buckle on this. There's no need for the cable companies to to back down if there isn't anything to make the majority of people really want these channels.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
I get the NFL network on Cox cable, but not in HD. The only way I'll watch it is if it's a Pats game. I wouldn't have have missed the game, but seeing it in HD is a bonus.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
I get the NFL Network on Comcast. They are really good about getting new networks on for the most part.

Ronreddog

May 11, 2007
Sunny Florida
I want the NFL Network, and have written TWICE to get it, but, Bright House, the cable company I have in the Tampa Bay area, won't carry it. I am not willing to switch to DirecTV just for NFL Network.

I did have it when I lived in Philly last year.

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I get the NFL Network on Comcast. They are really good about getting new networks on for the most part.
They are as bad as any of them.

I did have it when I lived in Philly last year.
Lat year, yes. This year you would have to pay extra for it. And God forbid if you are a Penn State fan. There's no chance of getting the Big Ten network any time soon.

fkornre

Boogity Boogity Boogity...Let's go racing boys...
Nov 4, 2006
monroe twp, nj
doesnt matter to me...i will be there live to watch my pats kick the shit out of the new jersey giants...

btw...the nfl network was free for me last year, now comcast is forcing us to pay...fuck them!!!

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Yay! Now the politicians are going to step in to help ensure that major cable companies like Comcast can continue to operate under monopoly type conditions and continue to fuck customers over by overcharging while spending the minimum possible to provide the cheapest content possible and rest easy knowing that any group responsible for an event that would create enough public momentum to threaten those conditions will be strong armed into opening it up so the cable companies can carry them....without additional cost to them. That's really a great thing for politicians to be thinking about in war time and all.
I don't just like Hoag Posts

I LOOOOOOVE THEM

Steam

May 18, 2003
Fuck the talk about the cable companies and all of that fucking nonsense. The bottom line is that this move makes the most sense for the public.

As someone who doesn't have the NFL Network and follows both teams I am happy that this is being done. I get all of the other regular season games on Fox or CBS so I should get this one too.

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
Fuck the talk about the cable companies and all of that fucking nonsense. The bottom line is that this move makes the most sense for the public.

As someone who doesn't have the NFL Network and follows both teams I am happy that this is being done. I get all of the other regular season games on Fox or CBS so I should get this one too.
No you don't. There are several weeks that have Thursday and Saturday night games that on the NFL network. This was supposed to be one of them.

Apr 12, 2003
cleveland
why would anyone outside of NE want to watch this? we all know they are gonna dominate and it doesn't mean anything unless they win the superbowl....

Nov 29, 2006
FL
[highlight]why would anyone outside of NE want to watch this? [/highlight]we all know they are gonna dominate and it doesn't mean anything unless they win the superbowl....
1. Not all Patriots fans live in New England.

2. People want to see the Patriots make history.

3. Most of the country hates NY. :action-sm

Nov 29, 2006
FL
i'd think about 90% of the country likes NY over new england and boston area.
So you're saying that the first ever 3-network simulcast of a football game is to see the NY Giants?

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
So you're saying that the first ever 3-network simulcast of a football game is to see the NY Giants?
According to the SportsCenter poll on ESPN the majority of the country is tuning in with the hope that the Giants will win at least.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
why NBC and CBS
that's unnecessary
unless i'm missing something

Nov 29, 2006
FL
According to the SportsCenter poll on ESPN the majority of the country is tuning in with the hope that the Giants will win at least.
That doesn't even make sense. If the Giants win, it's just another game. If the Pats win, it's history. The majority of the country will be tuning in to see history made.