All Of the Munchkins Are Now Spooky Gheest

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
https://pagesix.com/2018/06/06/oldest-munchkin-from-wizard-of-oz-dies-at-98/

Oldest Munchkin from ‘Wizard of Oz’ dies at 98

The oldest Munchkin from “The Wizard of Oz” has died, according to a report.

Jerry Maren, who was just 18 years old when he appeared in the 1939 classic as a member of the Lollipop Guild, died last week at the age of 98, TMZ reported Wednesday.

According to the celebrity gossip site, the actor — born Gerard Marenghi on Jan. 24, 1920, in Boston — suffered from dementia and died at a San Diego nursing care facility.

His funeral was held over the weekend at Forest Lawn in Hollywood, according to the report.

In the film, Maren was part of a trio of Munchkins who welcomed Judy Garland‘s Dorothy to Munchkinland.

After the three sing their song, Maren, wearing a green checkered outfit, hands the famed actress an oversized lollipop.

In 2009, Maren told The Post in an interview that filming his number “was so simple” for him because he “was a dancer.”

Modal TriggerJerry Maren and Harry Earles as Munchkins in “The Wizard of Oz”Courtesy Everett Collection
“The two other guys weren’t, and I felt sorry for them,” Maren said at the time. “We wore rubber caps on our heads, which was very hot under the Technicolor lights.”

Maren said he worked on the MGM movie for about two weeks.

“Whenever they needed a Munchkin extra in another scene, I was in there,” he said. “I loved Judy Garland. She was an angel to work with.”

After “The Wizard of Oz,” Maren had a decades-long acting career, with appearances in films, commercials and TV shows like “Seinfeld” and “The Gong Show.”

In 2016, rumors circulated that Maren died of pancreatic cancer, but those reports were false.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
The article says he was the oldest munchkin, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was the last munchkin

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
Thinking about this man's life makes me realize how much of a relief death must've been. Imagine having to do the same damn cheery munchkin shtick since 1939.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
He probably didn't even have dementia, just told everyone he didn't know what the fuck they were talking about as soon as he figured he was old enough it would be believable.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
The article says he was the oldest munchkin, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was the last munchkin
I could have sworn I saw in another article that he was the last.

Thinking about this man's life makes me realize how much of a relief death must've been. Imagine having to do the same damn cheery munchkin shtick since 1939.
Even St. Peter's only questions are "What was it like working on the Wizard of Oz?" and "Can you do the line?"

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
What the fuck is that!?!?