All Things GoPro - Tips and Tricks

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
And a timelapse with the panning timer...

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
I finally broke down and got a 2-axis gyro gimbal, supposed to be for a quadcopter, but I'm using it to smooth out my hand held shots. Took it to a butterfly enclosure and shot some footage yesterday. Takes a little getting used to but I'm working out how best to hold it, getting flyovers and panning shots, etc.

This is the Instructable for how I made the connector on the gimbal so all my other mounts would work with it:

http://www.instructables.com/id/GoPro-2-Axis-Gimbal-Hand-and-Pole-Mount/

And this is the final edit of the footage:

For $70 or so, it is pretty cool and useful.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
These take mind numbing amounts of patience, time, effort to create and there many better examples of hyperlapse than this. Shirking the technology of even a basic analog steadicam is nothing more than a time wasting artistic choice. The amount of artifacts are as disturbing as a shaky camera - does this guy have palsy because I'm pretty sure I could be steadier in a dark forest after a Jaeger binge than this guy.

I'm very pleased with my progress with the gimbal. I have a 1Ah LiPo battery for it now and am hoping to do a duration test soon to see how long it lasts. Next up is a 20' extendable antenna mast to tie it to to get high flyover shots - about 600.00 cheaper than a drone and way less risky. Raising it up from ground level to 20' while staying shake-free should make for interesting shots over parked planes at the airport, car shows, street festivals, etc.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Went up to Morenci this week for work and did a little "hyperlapse"...

IT'S NOTHING MORE THAN SPED UP VIDEO - ENOUGH OF THE SHITTY MARKETING LINGO ALREADY!!!

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Which version are you using?

I'm thinking of getting one but I'm still looking
at what people are posting to figure out what
one is worth it for me.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
I have a Hero 3 Black - got it right as the 3+ came out last year so they were marking them down. Has all the settings I could ever need. I'm using 1080/60fps/ medium format lately as it takes out a lot of the fisheye, is sharp as a tack, and can be slowed down for decent slo-mo shots.

This guy Abe works for GoPro and has a great blog to help noobs - I bookmarked and refer to this one a lot: http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/

Going back to the butterfly place tomorrow with my daughter (and to re-shoot it). More fixed scenes, less panning and zooming, and I missed a lot of set-up shots from the outside, lobby, etc. Other mistakes were not turning off the record and wifi lights and getting reflections off glass and water, and not using a boom to reach into the foliage more and get the feeding bowls, water level of the fountain, and high overheads.

We'll see I guess...

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Did some more footage at the butterfly place yesterday - more for practice at editing than anything else. I'm trying to get the "storytelling" better so the viewer doesn't tune out half way through.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I wish I had "the eye" for video stills? No problem but all my video always looks like shitty home movies

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
I wish I had "the eye" for video stills? No problem but all my video always looks like shitty home movies
My video skill is same as my photography skill: 90 minutes of film for 2 minutes of semi-worthy material. 100's of pics to get a few keepers.

Plus this was a re-shoot - lots of flaws in first one...

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Bringin' my grandson home from the park:

Dicktator

I need a Vacation
And a timelapse with the panning timer...

I really like this thread. Good videos so far @Shootr . As a family we do a lot with photography. My wife shoots SLR and i enjoy my cannon Powershot. Its waterproof, dust, dirt, shock prof. I just used it last month in a Tough Mudder.

I've been thinking about getting a GoPro. Maybe I can find some good deals over the next few months with Christmas coming up.

Questions.
Why is the cord coming from the camera into the bag hanging down. Whats in the bag? Whats in the bag!

Whats the difficulty on the editing of the videos. I know I will love to take the video, but if I never edit them for viewing it's all for nothing. If it's difficult to edit I won do it.

How does time lapse work? Is that a setting on the camera or is that done in the editing .

Do I need the latest GOPro model?

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
I really like this thread. Good videos so far @Shootr . As a family we do a lot with photography. My wife shoots SLR and i enjoy my cannon Powershot. Its waterproof, dust, dirt, shock prof. I just used it last month in a Tough Mudder. Same here, have always loved photography and time lapse stuff, etc. When we booked our last cruise I swore I would have a GoPro to take with me and it has been fun to have around.

I've been thinking about getting a GoPro. Maybe I can find some good deals over the next few months with Christmas coming up. You should, I picked my Hero 3 Black Edition up new for almost half off because I waited until the 3+ model was released. It had all the resolution and settings I wanted: 4K if I ever want it, but haven't so far, 1080/60fps and 720/120fps for great hi-def, and timelapse and other settings. Carefully compare 3+ to 4, and Black to Silver editions: they all have different levels of capabilities, with the Blacks being at the top, then Silver, and finally White, if they even make those anymore.

Questions.
Why is the cord coming from the camera into the bag hanging down. Whats in the bag? Whats in the bag! An auxiliary battery (and a naked pic of Gwyneth to keep it company). Battery life is the weak point of GoPro. If I get 45 minutes of constant-on video at 1080/60 then I did good. I took a second housing, cut a hole in the side where the usb plugin is, and ran a cable to the backup battery to power it for several-hours-long time lapse projects.

Whats the difficulty on the editing of the videos. I know I will love to take the video, but if I never edit them for viewing it's all for nothing. If it's difficult to edit I won do it. I won't sugar coat it - editing family vacation footage, holiday events - anything with lots of scenes and cuts and fades, etc. - is arduous and took me months to feel like I have the hang of it.

The GoPro provided program is mediocre at best - but it is free so I don't ding them for that. You can create quick simple projects with it, but all the footage has to be "converted"(?) to another format so the editing program can work with it. Depending on your computer and amount of footage, figure hours for that before you can even start to edit. Then I use an AMD A10 Quad Core laptop - and it still can't keep up and playback the drafts smoothly so it's hard to get a feel if your efforts are working the way you want. Then you have to "output" the project to a common video format, another hour or two. It blows in my opinion.

I currently use Corel Video Studio Pro X6, after trying a lot of free demos of all sorts of recommended programs. 1] You drag your clips to the storyboard, and you can start editing right away - nice. 2] The playback is still pretty bad though, so a shortcut I now do is preview all the video I shot in a regular media player, and have a notebook ready. The playback is smooth as glass, so as I see scenes I want I note the timeline start/finish for each keeper. 3] Then when I start Corel and add all the clips, I just scrub through each one and clip out the scenes I want and delete the chaff. Then it's pretty easy to put them in order, add the transitions, titles, music etc. 4] Outputting my projects takes maybe 10-30 minutes at most. Much more enjoyable program to use (lots of transitions, custom zooming around and in and out of a scene - lots of You Tube video tutorials, etc.)

How does time lapse work? Is that a setting on the camera or is that done in the editing . 2 ways to do them: Just shoot video and speed it up in editing, or a crap load of stills (settings for this is in the camera) and compile them in post production as well. I do video more often than not, if the project is 2.5 hours or less (I only have 32GB class 10 memory cards and that's all they will hold). Especially when there are going to be significant light level changes this is the way to go to avoid the flickering you will get from compiling thousands of photographs that the camera adjusted for lighting each and every time - one or two clouds float by in the middle of the day isn't a problem, but at sunset/sunrise you will have a strobe effect in the finished video. Well lit or midday projects - either way works and provides good results. Corel is a pain to compile the pictures into a time lapse so again, I just stick with video (1080/30). The subject can be tricky when it comes to picking a frame rate if you do still pictures too. Clouds and nature - every 5-10 seconds is fine, but with people, traffic, etc. you have to go to 1-2 seconds at most. The workload can go up significantly creating the final project.

Do I need the latest GOPro model?
Only if you are an uber geek that lives and dies by the razor thin bleeding edge of technology or creating professional money-making films. My model is now two removed from the current generation and I do not use anything higher than 1080/60, even though higher resolutions are available in it. The ONLY thing cool (IMO) of the newest is they will work MUCH better at night - anything older than a Hero 4 sucks at night - it's just not what they were designed for.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Color Dash - 720p/120fps. Sped up, slowed down, and stabilized:

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
that stuff looks toxic

you better get checked out

kinda looks like that indian holiday on An Idiot Abroad

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
My boogers have been quite spectacular...

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Broke down and bought a hero 7 silver today, I actually almost threw it in the trash immediately because the video coming from the camera via WiFi to my iPad was absolutely awful, I had an old flip phone that shot better video, I pulled the card and loaded it directly into my MacBook, I’m impressed, now I just need to learn how to get the most out of it