OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Allen Iverniger broke?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Ballbuster1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

This made me lol :

They just never learn. :haha7:

2. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

Well, what did you expect? He was the walking, talking definition of N Person Rich when he was still NBA royalty.

Still, 154 MILLION DOLLARS and he's broke. goddamn.

3. Ballbuster1

Wackbag Staff

That just fucking amazes me. How the fuck do you blow it all?

I'd be set for life and so would my kids and grandkids.

4. Yesterdays Hero

Yesterdays Hero She's better than you, Smirkalicious.

Melanin.

5. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

Word around the campfire is that Iverson had a gambling problem. But I can guarantee he tried to take care of everybody thinking it was the right thing to do.

My advice to any person who comes from a shitty background and makes it big is to move your immediate family from the ghetto and only return when you're doing charity work there.

6. domelogic

domelogic Registered User

It was a little more than that considering that number didnt take into account his earnings outside the nba salary. Couldnt happen to a better person, right T.O. Dumb fucks will always be dumbfucks

7. ughh

ughh Registered User

My advice to any person who comes from a shitty background and makes it big is to move your immediate family from the ghetto and only return when you're doing charity work there.

------------------

That is always what does happens, they always buy their momma a big mansion in the nice part of town. Then they get stuck paying crazy property taxes till the end of time. Then they of course have to buy momma a nice car to get to her nice mansion and a staff to take care of momma's mansion since you aren't going to have your dear sweet ma take care of an 11 bedroom mansion by herself.

Shit like that starts to get expensive real fast.

8. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

It's the hangers-on... the entourage... their fambly... their "peeps". That's how these fools get bled dry. Moms, grandmoms, aunties and uncles, second cuzins on my stepsister's first and forf baby daddy side of da fambly... they all come out of the woodwork when they smell big cash on a nig... and they don't leave until the well runs dry.

Dave Ramsey.

Dave has been saving the bacon of many a Tennessee Titan. He's based out of Tennessee and he's a huge Titans fan. He's been working with the players and offering them money management advice and services... and, so far, none of the players who have taken him up on his offer have gone the typical NpersonFL player route of cash to trash in a few short years.

9. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy
    It's My Birthday!

LOL at an Indoor Soccer Team is offering him $20,000 for 2 games. and $5,000 per goal.

And people are talking about how he "should" and "needs" to do it? Really, you need $40,000 that bad AI? Very sad

10. Ballbuster1

Wackbag Staff

Yeah, I heard that on the news at noon.

Fucking hilarious.

11. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy
    It's My Birthday!

2 games...
    I can see if it were a whole season maybe, but you're going to fly to wherever this is and play 2 games?
    England?

12. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

Pretty much this.

1.) Learn how to use the "reply with quote" function. It's really not that hard.

2.) No, not really. I mean, if you're a "normal" pro athlete, then yes this will break you. Most guys who make it to the pros only play for a couple of years (whatever sport) and maybe make a couple of million if they're lucky before they're cut. There are a lot more guys who were the 40-53rd man on an NFL roster or the 8th-12th player on an NBA roster than there are starters in those sports, just because the guys at the bottom of the rosters are rotated in and out so much. Those guys shouldn't be doing anything with their money except putting it away and spending every minute they can trying to make friends with rich fans/owners and trying to get a job in the real world. Stormrider said "makes it big" not "spends a couple of years as a minimum salary guy".

Making it big is if you're a superstar player like Iverson was. It takes fucking effort to destroy your life like this if you've made it big. Iverson had an incident where he parked his Rolls Royce in the handicapped parking of the Philly airports for months while he was out of town. The reason why he didn't leave it at his Philly area mansion? He didn't trust his entourage to not fuck it up while he was gone.

Just a hint: if you have friends that you can't trust around your kid/your home/your life savings in cash, they're not your friends. And you need to find real friends.

The entourage is what gets these guys into trouble.

Buying your mom a house if you make it big (ie- you can fucking afford it) isn't stupid: it's being a good son/daughter. You don't have to buy the biggest house in the world, you don't have to staff it with maids and butlers, and you don't have to buy her a fucking Bentley. Buy her a nice McMansion in a nice suburb (where the mil rates are usually lower than in bad neighborhoods, though the total property tax is higher due to higher property values), a nice Lexus SUV to blend in with the other yuppies in her neighborhood, and let her be happy. Iverson could have set his mom up like that for easily under $2 million (obviously a lot of variability on this), even counting a hefty interest-bearing fund to pay for the property taxes. That's not much of a dent in ~$150 million.

Stormrider is right: if you make it big, get your immediate family the fuck out of dodge. Use your big money to set up a safe, smart, LEGAL (hey to Michael Vick...) business back in the old neighborhood, give your old friends REAL jobs working for that business, and make some money for yourself while doing good for the old neighborhood. Magic Johnson made crazy money on movie theaters, did well for the people who worked for him: do THAT with your fucking money and fame instead of just spending what you make. When you have that kind of money, your money can make money for you. Just stop paying tens of thousands in parking fines because you can't trust your crew to not fuck up your Rolls.

13. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

I think you offered good advice for somebody who makes it rich, but the absolute last thing I'm telling some dumb jig to do is to start investing in "businesses."

Fuck that. Get some silver and gold, some safe bonds and mutual funds and stock indices and blue chip stocks.

Wu Tang Financials that shit. DIVERSIFY YO BONDZ NIGGA!

All of these athletes with double digit IQ get bamboozled by slick talking conmen with "surefire business opportunities."

I bet Iverson has a ton of "surefire business opportunities" that were multi-million dollar schemes that he lost everything on.

14. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

Yep... Magic Johnson's movie theatre peeps did real well for themselves. Matter of fact... they made out like bandits.

15. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

That boy should have diversified in co-fucking-caine, marijuana, and Heroin. If he did, he'd still still be rollin' in dough.

16. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

17. DJ Evel Ed

DJ Evel Ed MayYourCumCrustedCocksBeConstantlyCoveredInCunt

I heard he hated travelling with luggage. His "answer" was to buy new expensive clothes everytime he went to play somewhere. Instead of taking the clothes with him, he would leave them behind, donate them, give them away.

My knew some guys in a famous band (Limp Bizkit) who would come off stage and throw away their socks and just buy new ones. But that was just socks. Iverson did this with his entire expensive wardrobe. Every road game! IDIOT!

18. Jim's HIV

Jim's HIV Registered User

Looks like he did talk to a financial adviser early in his career:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...d=maing-grid7|main5|dl2|sec3_lnk3&pLid=140258

19. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy
    It's My Birthday!

But how can you possibly survive on $1M a year...

20. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Most likely, he won't make it to 55. Being hardcore colored and all that.

21. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

Considering what many Americans have to do to survive on less than that, it can be done.