Alphas on SyFy

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Anyone catch this the other night? Pretty terrible but may hold some promise, if they learn how to act.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
Anyone catch this the other night? Pretty terrible but may hold some promise, if they learn how to act.
The only thing left on SyFy that I'll watch is Sanctuary and after they fire them via twitter then I'm done with that fucking network.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Warehouse 13 is still a pretty good watch.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004

OMG you got a Prius! With the sat-nav and iPod hookup!
That was a horrible product placement advertisment. Very cringe worthy, but not in a good way.

Fustercluck

Jul 25, 2005
FEMA Region 9
is it anything like Misfits from the BBC? I started watching those, they're pretty good in that british sort of way

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
I watch SyFy for replays of the Stargate series sans the new one and Star Trek Enterprise replays. Other than that, fuck SyFy in their shitty ass. Used to be a great network but it's crap now.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
The geek chick? I think she's really pretty hot, actually. I just HATED the obvious commercial in the middle of the fucking episode. That was really shitty.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
The geek chick? I think she's really pretty hot, actually. I just HATED the obvious commercial in the middle of the fucking episode. That was really shitty.
She's hot, but that's the only reason she's on the show. Her character is awful.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
Can't networks come up with a more original idea than the tired "ordinary people brought together by having superhuman powers" plot? It's been done to death.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Can't networks come up with a more original idea than the tired "ordinary people brought together by having superhuman powers" plot? It's been done to death.
They ran out of wrasslin shows to air.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
I liked Alphas better when it was Heroes. Liked it much better when it was The 4400. Fuck Alphas. Not a single one of those tools on that show can act to save their lives. It's the equivalent of 45 minute installments of their shitty SyFy Saturday original craptacular movies.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I don't think the acting is the problem. Besides from the aspergers kid, everyone else wasn't that bad. It was the all around lack of anything actually edgy or funny that kept it from being decent.

Zak Penn is a giant writer. And from what I remember they worked for like two or three years to make this show work. I only wonder what it started out like and who messed it up.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
My favorite Penn movie is PCU, but he did that before he became the Marvel guy.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
I liked Alphas better when it was Heroes. Liked it much better when it was The 4400. Fuck Alphas. Not a single one of those tools on that show can act to save their lives. It's the equivalent of 45 minute installments of their shitty SyFy Saturday original craptacular movies.
Honestly can everyone just accept that we are going to have product placement? You don't want to watch commercials and TV shows cost money so fucking deal with it. Overall I thought Alphas was strong. SyFy can't afford the best acting so accepting that it was a good story and could be better than the nonsense that Heroes plunged into. The 4400 was good as well, but the acting was shit in the first season there too.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Sorry, I stand by my original assessment. If the acting doesn't level out and show some improvement quickly, I don't see this show going more than three or four eps.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
The thing is SyFy can afford people and does pay well compared to many cable networks, some of the people on Battlestar and Stargate were getting 100,000+ per episode, that's higher then people on a lot of network shows get.

The lead guy on Alphas was nominated for an academy award for Good Night and Good Luck, he won the emmy for Temple Grandin, you can not say he can't act. I think it's more a sign of him not having much to work with or possibly poor direction, but Jack Bender usually does a solid job. I'm just at a loss why this show didn't gel.

I guess it just felt that Alphas didn't really strike any real tone. It wasn't campy entertainment with some stakes that Eureka or Warehouse 13 are. Neither was it a big science fiction epic like Battlestar was. I get what they were partially going for, this whole people with strange powers working this mundane job where they carpool to work in a mini van and work in a completely nondescript office, it just didn't work as is.

As for the product placement, I agree with Jagsfan, it's a part of TV we have to live with and it can be done well if they try a little bit. I didn't watch Warehouse yet, but it sounds like it was forced, they need to make it more natural like a real conversation people would have in a car. You don't jump in a car and go "look at that, look at that" you discuss it mixed in with what else you're talking about while your friend takes you for a ride.

And there's no way this show is being cancelled until the entire first season is aired. Cable channels aren't as quick to do that as networks. It might not come back for a season 2, but it would be so rare for it to not finish its first season.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
I agree with your points, kid. You are right, it wasn't so much the acting as the fact that there was almost nothing for them to work with. Whoever wrote the pilot should be fired, and they should hire some of the writers from Dollhouse to punch it up. At least nobody can say the stories on Dollhouse were boring.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Watched it because there was nothing else on.

Terrible.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
I hated the utter lack of explanation of how they all came together, the old dude "running" the show was a simpering, monotone bore, I did like Cylon governement agent, but they don't use him much. The autism kid made me angry. Black anger management dude was boring too. I would have liked to see the dude who played Winston in Human Target playing that role; he was a much more versitile actor. The girls only saving grace is her hotness.

Meh. I don't like this show.

Larz

****Self-Banned****
It's My Birthday!
Feb 12, 2006
NYC E. Village, No Homo
Damn this thread is depressing, I was looking forward to this show as part of my summer tv lineup but I trust the reviews from you guys. Guess I'll just wipe it off the DVR. Oh well... still got breaking bad and true blood.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Well, give it a shot! One mans trash is another's treasure! I personally was not impressed, but you may be.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
the old dude "running" the show was a simpering, monotone bore
I was surprised to see David Strathairn in something this obviously cheap. I got the feeling he signed on three or four script drafts ago, and now he's stuck in this shitfest.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
The old guy in charge reminds me of Monks first shrink. I've seen him in too many guest star roles to take him seriously as a main character. The rest of the cast isn't that bad. I'll have to watch more episodes and see if the show gets some kind of flow.