NETFLIX Altered Carbon - Staring Joel Kinnaman

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
The Killing alum Joel Kinnaman is set as the lead in Netflix’s Altered Carbon, a futuristic drama series conceived, written and executive produced by Laeta Kalogridis (Avatar). Miguel Sapochnik (Game Of Thrones) has come on board to direct the first episode of the series, from Skydance Television.

Based on Richard Morgan’s award-winning 2002 cyberpunk sci-fi novel, Altered Carbon is set in the 25th century when the human mind has been digitized and the soul is transferable from one body to the next. Takeshi Kovacs (Kinnaman), a former elite interstellar warrior known as an Envoy who has been imprisoned for 500 years, is downloaded into a future he’d tried to stop. If he can solve a single murder in a world where technology has made death nearly obsolete, he’ll get a chance at a new life on Earth.

Known for his role as Detective Stephen Holder on AMC’s The Killing, Kinnaman next will be seen in Warner Bros’ Suicide Squad, set for an August 5 release. He also has a co-starring role in the fourth season of Netflix’s House Of Cards.
http://deadline.com/2016/05/joel-ki...fi-series-miguel-sapochnik-direct-1201754452/

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Might be good.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Sounds like the issue of the digitized mind is just something you are meant to just accept, and that irks me.

I'm not digging this Kurzweil transhumanism crap working it's way into popular culture as a foregone conclusion. If the crux of this series is whether he's really dead or alive, and it gets into the philosophical question of it, then great, but don't shove the concept that you can do such a thing and call it a soul. When we all get comfortable with that idea, life will truly be cheap.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Sounds like the issue of the digitized mind is just something you are meant to just accept, and that irks me.

I'm not digging this Kurzweil transhumanism crap working it's way into popular culture as a foregone conclusion. If the crux of this series is whether he's really dead or alive, and it gets into the philosophical question of it, then great, but don't shove the concept that you can do such a thing and call it a soul. When we all get comfortable with that idea, life will truly be cheap.
Dude, it's a sci-fi show. Lighten up Francis.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

Soul, lol.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Individual consciousness, sentience, what have you. You know what I mean.

The transhumanist concept of the future of the human race has been far too embraced for my comfort. Maybe this show won't push the idea, but the synopsis makes me think it's the backbone.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
After The Killing, old boy seems drawn to mid-range sci-fi stuff.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
I still stand by my earlier sentiment. Hopefully this series will show it's not real immortality, but only appears that way to others.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Sweet, still have enough time to read the book so I tell everyone the adaptation is shit.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Yeah, this looks pretty good. Has a strong William Gibson vibe to it.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
Pfft SO much white washing.
Ugh, I was right, but two years late.

https://thenerdsofcolor.org/2016/06...rbon-and-asian-consciousness-in-white-bodies/

A few weeks ago it was announced that Netflix is adapting Richard K. Morgan’s 2002 sci-fi novel Altered Carbon, and that the main character, Takeshi Kovacs, will be played by Joel Kinnaman.

© Brian To/WENN.com
This guy. Playing somebody named Takeshi, who is specifically described in the articles as being at least biracial Japanese.

In the wake of the Ghost in the Shell debacle and the #whitewashedOUT hashtag, I flipped my lid. But then it was pointed out to me that the casting was technically canon, as the original novel is about super soldier Takeshi being inserted into the body of a white detective, Elias Ryker, to solve a crime. For the first time it was an actual canon-sanctioned whitewashing, and I felt as if I had prematurely jumped to conclusions.

But still, I felt off about the concept. Literature and TV are two very different mediums, with TV obviously being more visual and leaving less to the imagination. A white man playing the part of an Asian man stuck in a white body? How could that not feel ridiculous, at best, and be offensive, at worst?

And did Takeshi’s body have to be white? With only eight percent of the top grossing sci-fi films starring a protagonist of color (Keanu Reeves being the only Asian), and only four percent of any TV characters being Asian, did we really need another show featuring a white guy, especially if it came at the expense of a character’s Asianness being subsumed under a white veneer?

Because let’s be real, Asians are erased pretty frequently when it comes to Hollywood sci-fi adaptations. Firefly, the Star Wars series, and Blade Runner all heavily rely on Asian aesthetics to convey a futuristic feel, and yet there are no Asians in lead roles. Cloud Atlas was about souls reincarnating into any body regardless of race, and yet most of the actors were white, which led them to yellowface when one of the plotlines took place in future Korea. Ex Machina abused and quite literally skinned its Asian robots. The live-action Ghost in the Shell cast Scarlett Johansson as Motoko Kusanagi. And Battle Angel Alita had a shortlist of four actresses, none of whom were Asian, to play the lead character.

Hollywood definitely has a history of erasing Asians in stories that should reasonably have Asians, and choosing to adapt Altered Carbon felt like a clever way for them to continue doing the same ol’ but without the criticism of whitewashing.

This ate at me, so I decided to just read the first novel and see the Takeshi/Ryker dynamic for myself.

And y’all. Kinnaman should not have been cast. This is still a case of Hollywood whitewashing.
---
etc etc

America is what 4% Asian? Sorry that Hollywood tries to appeal to the majority of moviegoers.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Keanu Reeves is Asian? I thought he looked like that because a retard gene came to close to the surface.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Keanu Reeves is Asian? I thought he looked like that because a retard gene came to close to the surface.
I think he's Nanook Asian. He's actually a fairly brilliant man in real life, based on all the stuff I've read about him. Also suffered a shit ton of tragedy in his life, and still manages to keep a positive outlook. I kinda admire the dude.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I think he's Nanook Asian. He's actually a fairly brilliant man in real life, based on all the stuff I've read about him. Also suffered a shit ton of tragedy in his life, and still manages to keep a positive outlook. I kinda admire the dude.
one of his business venture is from his love of motorcycles. he started a cutting edge chopper company. one bike they make goes for close to 100k and its got a fuck load of power to the tune of about 250hp irrc in a bike that clocks in at about 5-600lbs

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
one of his business venture is from his love of motorcycles. he started a cutting edge chopper company. one bike they make goes for close to 100k and its got a fuck load of power to the tune of about 250hp irrc in a bike that clocks in at about 5-600lbs
I know. Took a look at some of the concept bikes on their site; can't say they're my cup of tea, but I do like that he's doing something innovative. They look like sick futuristic terminator bikes.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I know. Took a look at some of the concept bikes on their site; can't say they're my cup of tea, but I do like that he's doing something innovative. They look like sick futuristic terminator bikes.
the one im talking about kinda looks like Jaxs bike from SOA. its got that small front fairing he had that a lot of 1% guys in cali rock. kinda looks like a streched out superglide

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I like Joe Cinnamon and can't explain why.