Amazon Amazon Confirms Multi-Season Lord of the Rings Spin-Off/Prequel Series

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Why not make a series out of Dragon Lance books Do the chronicles followed by the ledgends and thats at least six seasons of stuff.
This. The series is even intended to be a "cold start" so you don't need to know anything going in.

Why not make a series out of Dragon Lance books Do the chronicles followed by the ledgends and thats at least six seasons of stuff.
I think those are regarded as box office poison since the godawful animated movie.

Queen_Bona

From the fantasy realm, Netflix is working on the Witcher saga. That could be an interesting thing to watch for people who like it grittier than Tolkien's stuff.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Back when the Hobbit came out there was some controversy surrounding Christopher Tolkein and the rights to The Silmarllion. Chris is a crotchety old man who hated the LOTR movies and didn't want to give them the Silmarllion rights.

Anyway now this happens: He resigned as the Tolkein Estate director. Wouldn't be surprised if over this whole thing.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
Back when the Hobbit came out there was some controversy surrounding Christopher Tolkein and the rights to The Silmarllion. Chris is a crotchety old man who hated the LOTR movies and didn't want to give them the Silmarllion rights.

Anyway now this happens: He resigned as the Tolkein Estate director. Wouldn't be surprised if over this whole thing.

What the hell else is this limp wrist going to do?

LiddyRules

I put the over/under of watchable episodes at 6. I'm being generous today. I wanted to say 4.
Do you think they'll realize that GoT works because it's dark, sexy and violent and make LotR similar or do you think they'll make it more family friendly like the movies thus costing it any hook it might have had?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Do you think they'll realize that GoT works because it's dark, sexy and violent and make LotR similar or do you think they'll make it more family friendly like the movies thus costing it any hook it might have had?
That's a good question. I really don't know. I would lean toward the latter just because they would want it to be different.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Here's how the Amazon meeting went: "Does anyone here understand human nature and novelty? Anyone? Okay, I'm writing a check for $250 million."

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
And this is how a Netflix meeting goes: "Let's make a show/film that isn't good but seems like it is good. Or, let's just make something really bad. Either way our stock will go up."

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
And this is how a Netflix meeting goes: "Let's make a show/film that isn't good but seems like it is good. Or, let's just make something really bad. Either way our stock will go up."
"We need to make our own movies because our selection of movies that we are allowed to stream from other companies is not top-notch."

LiddyRules

I put the over/under of watchable episodes at 6. I'm being generous today. I wanted to say 4.
I'm trying to think of what could be okay elements of a LotR series. I think The Hobbits are the most interesting race, but having them go on adventures cheapens Bilbo/Frodo. Wormtongue/King Fringe could be good but would be unnecessary. And of course #RealTomBombadil.

I don't care about Elves. Men are generally boring. And The Hobbit ruined dwarfs, not that they were particularly interesting in the first place.

Discoman

Donator
I thought the Silmarillion was mostly mediocre and sometimes even dull. What a boondoggle they're getting themselves into with a 5 season deal right out of the gate.

Bobobie

We could see Smeagol before he finds the ring and murders his friend. There could be longer drawn out story that follows his slow slide into madness.

LiddyRules

We could see Smeagol before he finds the ring and murders his friend. There could be longer drawn out story that follows his slow slide into madness.
A) That would get boring quickly.
B) This is between Hobbit and LotR.

LiddyRules

"Netflix: Do you have a sci fi script no one's been willing to produce for the 8 years you've tried making it?"

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I'm trying to think of what could be okay elements of a LotR series. I think The Hobbits are the most interesting race, but having them go on adventures cheapens Bilbo/Frodo. Wormtongue/King Fringe could be good but would be unnecessary. And of course #RealTomBombadil.

I don't care about Elves. Men are generally boring. And The Hobbit ruined dwarfs, not that they were particularly interesting in the first place.
The ONLY thing I can think of would completely break canon, but a war between dwarves and elves could be interesting.

As for tone, I'm betting it'll be half way between the movies and GoT. Lots of violence, even graphic violence, but no sexy time.

Think Daredevil.

LiddyRules

The ONLY thing I can think of would completely break canon, but a war between dwarves and elves could be interesting.

As for tone, I'm betting it'll be half way between the movies and GoT. Lots of violence, even graphic violence, but no sexy time.

Think Daredevil.
I honestly can't think of a dwarf/elf war to be anything but an annoying slog to get through. Maybe it's because I'm not a fantasy guy, but I find them both to be incredibly boring races. War in and of itself is not interesting, especially in fiction. Arrows vs. axes don't have any allure to me. And half-assed political intrigue can only go so far without decent characters to hinge it on.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
It still blows my mind that Amazon owns Wheel of Time but is instead paying a billion dollars for this in an attempt to capture Game of Thrones lightning in a bottle. There really is a lot of fantasy out there that hasn't been done before and can really engross people. I'm still salty that Mistborn isn't already a show. It would work so well - strong female protagonist, themes of racism, slavery, environmentalism, and false religion, shocking twists, etc. And it's one self contained story (3-4 seasons-worth) and then another story set in the same world many years later, so if the show takes off you could always do the second story too.

LiddyRules

It still blows my mind that Amazon owns Wheel of Time but is instead paying a billion dollars for this in an attempt to capture Game of Thrones lightning in a bottle. There really is a lot of fantasy out there that hasn't been done before and can really engross people. I'm still salty that Mistborn isn't already a show. It would work so well - strong female protagonist, themes of racism, slavery, environmentalism, and false religion, shocking twists, etc. And it's one self contained story (3-4 seasons-worth) and then another story set in the same world many years later, so if the show takes off you could always do the second story too.
I don't even know what Mistborn is but I agree with this. I'm not a fantasy fan, but I recognize how many properties there are in book and how few there are in film/TV. I get why it's a gamble to do something new, but I really don't care about Middle Earth.

I also wonder how much The Hobbit has pushed people off Middle Earth.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Mistborn would be awesome. I'm halfway through the 2nd series. I think Wheel of time would be another great choice thought it's a much denser story. I would like to even see the king killer chronicles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk