Amazon Amazon Confirms Multi-Season Lord of the Rings Spin-Off/Prequel Series

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Last edited:

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
http://www.darkhorizons.com/amazons-middle-earth-series-teases-setting/

Amazon has updated the Twitter account for its mega-budget TV series adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings” and other Middle-Earth works.

As previously indicated, the series is expected to take place well before the events of the ‘Rings’ novels. Today, that social media account has been updated to reveal a new map of Middle-Earth and one that confirms the show will be set in the ‘Second Age’.

That means it will take place around three millennia before the start of ‘Rings’. The Second Age began with the banishment of Morgoth, the dark lord before Sauron, and it ended with the opening scene in Peter Jackson’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring” where a man and elf alliance defeated Sauron and his armies on the slopes of Mount Doom.

The map includes island kingdom Numenor, one that was lost beneath the sea to a cataclysm. Production on the series hasn’t yet begun and the show is expected to premiere in 2021.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Is that meant to inlcude the films in the same continuity?

DiggerNick

Donator
Is that meant to inlcude the films in the same continuity?
Peter Jackson said he had not been approached at all by Amazon.

So either Amazon is going to reinvent the wheel or Jackson will have a hell of a lawsuit on his hands.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Peter Jackson said he had not been approached at all by Amazon.

So either Amazon is going to reinvent the wheel or Jackson will have a hell of a lawsuit on his hands.
Well, my question might really be moot. By definition, it's all Tolkien, and this need not differentiate itself from the films at all if it's so far removed in time. Jackson can't sue to force them to write something fundamentally conflicting with his adaption.

I guess it will only be known if they race through that era over a few seasons and start approaching the third age. May never happen.