OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Amazon Is a Great Company Because It Has the Most Generous Shareholders in the World

Discussion in 'Wackbag Tech Support' started by BIV, Dec 13, 2012.

1. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2012/12/12/amazon_s_zero_profit_business_strategy_it_s_amazing_but_someday_we_may_all.html

2. Atomic Fireball

Atomic Fireball Well-Known Member
    Donator

I was fuming when Amazon started collecting California taxes a few months back. A few days ago they emailed me a 10% off code for the duration of the Christmas shopping season, which coincidently cancels out the CA tax for that duration. Smart.

They also own Woot - I dropped an insane bundle during the last wootoff because they recently instituted a flat $5 shipping fee for all purchases during a 24 hour period. Also smart.

3. DR. Jimcy M.E.

I saw a piece on the business channel not long ago on this. Amazon doesn't make massive profits but huge share holders keep buying into them because they move such massive volume of products.

4. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

Amazon rules. That is all.

Ballbuster1 likes this.
  5. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Just got my Kindle Fire HD (8.9") and I'm very impressed with it so far. Still need more games for it, but they'll be coming.

6. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

The Amazon business model focuses on extremely-long term planning as far as internet companies go. Everything they do is to build a customer base that will use all of their services, so each service is cheaper but profits accumulate over all of them. You buy inexpensive goods from Amazon, which motivates you to get Amazon Prime. Amazon Prime includes free streaming of some movies/TV shows, which gets you use to the delivery method so you buy/rent other streaming movies from them. They sell inexpensive tablets so you use their priority streaming services and App market, not to mention their ebook store. It's a very smart way of running a business, and ensures longevity in the company.

The reason they have to pay CA sales tax is they are building distribution centers in California and many other states, so they can provide 1 day shipping for many items at a low cost.

7. DR. Jimcy M.E.

Say "massive" again you illiterate cunt. I fucking stink.

8. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

Amazon Prime rules. Netflix is starting to suck in comparison. I've purchased over a dozen kindle books, coffee, a puzzle game, a laptop Power Supply just in the last few months.

9. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

I spend way too much money on Amazon

I blame Amazon prime

speaking of that, I need a Roku box to watch their streaming video service for free

be right back

10. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

I always shop Amazon 1st.

Usually get the best deals there.

11. Bill Lehecka

Bill Lehecka The Fat Horse v. 2.0
    Donator

Remember when Amazon was just a bookstore?

Jeff Bezos is the new Steve Jobs, BTW. Or at least Jeff wants to be him.

12. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Absolutely. Used to buy tons of books from them when I was living in Israel. Had no real access to lots of science fiction in English, so I was on Amazon real early. I remember what an amazing concept that was for me back then. A basically unlimited selection.

13. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

I think I 1st ordered from Amazon in '95 or '96 CD Now too, which Amazon ended up buying

In 15+ years I've probably spent close to $75k on Amazon

14. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Fuck, I forgot all about CD Now. That was another one I frequented way back when. And judging by where I was living at the time, my first Amazon orders were right around 95-96 as well. Pretty impressive considering I was in Israel (things took longer to take root there back then).

#14 Neon, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  15. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

Yea I spend way to much money on Amazon as well - the easier you make it for someone to buy something, the more likely they're going to buy something is the first rule of business and Amazon realizes that more than any other retailer internet or B&M

I've been subscribing to Amazon Prime almost since they first offered the service, I'm only 1 ship day from their hub in KY and about 60% of what I order comes from that location.

I really wish USAA and Amazon would work out a deal like USAA has with just about every other web retailer, but I'm guessing its not likely to happen since Amazon has a deal with Chase

Apple TV really needs to get Amazon Prime, but its also on the PlayStation & Xbox

16. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I just looked it up in Quicken and I've spent ~$5,000 at Amazon since 1/1/2009... holy shit. I was also going to college from the start of 2010 to last June, so not a lot of disposable income.

Add to that the fact that I use Amazon Wish Lists for Christmas, so family members buy shit on behalf of me, and that's a decent amount of money.

On a side note, fuck Quicken. In that same time frame, I've spent $5,100 on alcohol, $2,000 on cigs, and $2,240 at bars. That doesn't even count when I paid with "petty cash".

17. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

just made another Amazon order today

brake parts for my 64 GMC pickup. they have them in stock

I could drive all over town and maybe havet order stuff

the NAPA didn't have the shoes but Autozone did

but Amazon has everything and better price too

18. DanaReevesLungs

DanaReevesLungs I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
    Donator

I've had Amazon Prime since it's inception so, like 2004 or so. With the amount of stuff I order in a year from there that $80 a year is saving me a ton on shipping cost. It's gotten to the point where I buy some bulk goods I can't find anywhere else to take on the road with me.

19. blazin

blazin Registered User

Im starting to love Amazon more and more these days.

Their local courier express delivery is a thing of magic. I can order some items at 3AM and get them by noon.

Just started taxing PA customers, so that kind of sucks. I just bought a DSLR and had to pay 6% tax, but in 35 days I am getting 2% back, I suppose in store credit - plus no interest for 12 months and maybe a $150 promotional credit if I read it correctly. They certainly make buying stuff attractive, and easy.