Amazon Amazon's The Man In The High Castle

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Pilot available starting today and the buzz is good, I guess...

LINK TO WATCH FOR FREE EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE AMAZON PRIME

----

Amazon's New Series 'The Man In The High Castle' Is Amazing

What if the Allies had lost World War II, the Nazis had been first to develop the atomic bomb, and the Germans and Japanese had carved up control of United States? That's the premise of the new streaming series from Amazon, The Man in the High Castle — an adaptation of the 1962 book by the same name. And the show is fantastic.

Nazi brownshirts control New York City streets, San Francisco is lorded over by Japanese police, and postwar TV game shows prominently feature Nazis in full regalia. The people of the United States seem to more or less accept their fate. Except, of course, for a band of freedom fighters not content with the way that their former enemies rule this alt-America with an iron fist.

The new series is a dark and moody portrait of an America that could have been. And I really can't get enough. The production design is wonderful, the cinematography is phenomenal, and the acting is superb. The Man in the High Castle truly seems to transcend the pitfalls of so much genre fiction by letting the new world wash over you rather than scream that things aren't right with the space that these characters inhabit.

The attention to detail is exceptional, and even though I've only watched the pilot once, I'm sure the series will reward repeat viewing, provided it gets picked up at all. Amazon has a strange system where it delivers a bunch of pilots at once and then only produces more episodes for shows that do well. It makes sense, but can be such a tease for a show that you get invested in after just one episode. I can't wait to see episode two, but for the time being you can bet I'll happily watch the first episode again.

Countless books and short stories by legendary sci-fi author Philip K. Dick have been adapted for the screen. Minority Report, A Scanner Darkly, and of course the 1982 classic Blade Runner, adapted from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? rank among the most popular adaptations. But The Man In The High Castle is obviously a different experience in so many ways. Rather than be faced with the futuristic gesture control screens of Minority Report or the flying cars of Blade Runner, we're presented a different kind of "future," if you will. A future wherein the past has changed, not tomorrow.

If the first episode is any indication, this series stands on its own as a fascinating piece of alt-history — a genre that at its worst bludgeons you over the head with reminders of how clever the creators are, and at its best dissects important social and cultural issues of today.

It's hard to judge an entire series by just the first episode, but given what we've seen so far, this one is at least worth 60 minutes of your time. [Amazon Prime Instant]

-------------------

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
This sounds great.

Amazon is stepping up their game.

We just watched Mozart in the Jungle. It was surprisingly pretty good.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I just finished the pilot. It was fucking amazing. I've read like a 1/4 of the book and it was spot on to what I read. I think it'll be a great series if they pick it up and all the customer reviews have been positive so I don't see why they wont

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
TOO MANY THINGS TO WATCH!

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
everybody review it on amazon so it can get picked up.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I'm very interested, but probably won't watch the pilot until the entire season is up.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
This sounds great.

Amazon is stepping up their game.

We just watched Mozart in the Jungle. It was surprisingly pretty good.
I really enjoyed MitJ. I was surprised how good that was.

I just finished the pilot. It was fucking amazing. I've read like a 1/4 of the book and it was spot on to what I read. I think it'll be a great series if they pick it up and all the customer reviews have been positive so I don't see why they wont
I actually see this being a better TV series than book. I could never really get into the book, but the concept is great.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Cool premise. I'll give it a watch. People have been loving on Amazon lately but I've never watched a full season of their shows. I gave Transparent 5 tries before cutting out. I really hated every character and can't understand why anyone would want to watch their lives.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
I didn't even know this was a thing.

But I'm a big Dick fan so I'll be checking it out.
;)

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Cool premise. I'll give it a watch. People have been loving on Amazon lately but I've never watched a full season of their shows. I gave Transparent 5 tries before cutting out. I really hated every character and can't understand why anyone would want to watch their lives.
Watch Mozart in the Jungle.

Just go into it without any preconceived notions.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I felt the same exact way about Transparent. I wanted to punch everyone in the face.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Watch Mozart in the Jungle.

Just go into it without any preconceived notions.
I might do that because I've never heard about it before and the title sounds odd enough to just pop on blind.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I might do that because I've never heard about it before and the title sounds odd enough to just pop on blind.
I turned it on as a "Hey, what's this?" Four episodes later I was still watching.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Did anyone else pick up the Amazon fire stick when it went on sale for 19 bucks? I already had a chromecast, but not having an amazon prime app was annoying having to mirror it from the laptop.

So I picked one up. I've found it pretty solid and well worth it if you have Prime. I've added a couple dozen albums to the music section also for free. There's also a bunch of other channels you can add, like a Hasbro one that has all the old Gi Joe cartoons from the 80's.

It's been well worth the price.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Great pilot. The kid from Pretty Little Liars still can't act, so it kind of sucks that he's a lead, but the story was great and it looked fantastic. The dialogue was a little rough, but I get that they had shoehorn in a lot of expository. I remember that bit Anthony did about how the American version of Life on Mars kept trying to be cutesy with "Hey, look, it's the 70s" references. This wasn't anything like that, though. Overall, I liked it a lot. Now how long to wait for episode two?

I felt the same exact way about Transparent. I wanted to punch everyone in the face.
I hated the pilot. Tambor and Gaby Hoffman were great acting-wise, but you can't have an entire cast of completely unlikable characters. The thing that surprised me the most was how long it dragged out. I thought maybe the pilot was 90 minutes instead of 60, and then I checked and it was only 30. Ponderous.

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
"I've been waiting for ages for a show to depict how WW2 should have ended!" would be a glowing review that would push them to making a second season.
i didn't know Anthony Cumia had an amazon account.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
I will watch this. I just watched hand of god and it was pretty good. It got picked up for a full season which comes out this year.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
They seem to have changed one of the central plot points of the book.
In the book "The Grasshopper Lies Heavy" is an alternate history novel in which the Allies win WWII, but not in the same way that they did in real life (FDR steps down after 2 terms, the attack at Pearl Harbor is averted, Hitler is tried at Neuremberg, etc). The film that takes the novel's place in the story appears to be actual newsreel footage from our universe.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
They seem to have changed one of the central plot points of the book.
In the book "The Grasshopper Lies Heavy" is an alternate history novel in which the Allies win WWII, but not in the same way that they did in real life (FDR steps down after 2 terms, the attack at Pearl Harbor is averted, Hitler is tried at Neuremberg, etc). The film that takes the novel's place in the story appears to be actual newsreel footage from our universe.
I haven't watched the episode yet, but:

It was like the point of the book was that there was an alternate world (worlds?). Probably just easier to show "our" world in this kind of narrative context. Conveys the same idea in an easier way. Also the book was published in 1962 and I think some of the divergence from real events was simply a product of him having written it at that time.

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York
I read the book a long time ago, might have been my first PKD novel. I'll have to check out, but I don't know if it will incorporate the usual PKD weirdness that the story takes.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
Watched the first episode last night. Pretty good for a first episode that has to set the stage for everything. At least good enough to keep me interested. I was frustrated that they moved things along so quickly. I feel like they are halfway through the book in just the one episode. And where the fuck is Childan, the antiques and fake Americana salesman? His was the most engaging and carefully wrought plotline of the entire book. That's where we really got to see the complexity of Dick's alternate history and the culture of post-war California.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Okay, call me half a fag if you want to but I watched that other pilot, Super Model of the Year 1998 or whatever it's called and it was pretty funny.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Did anyone else pick up the Amazon fire stick when it went on sale for 19 bucks? I already had a chromecast, but not having an amazon prime app was annoying having to mirror it from the laptop.

So I picked one up. I've found it pretty solid and well worth it if you have Prime. I've added a couple dozen albums to the music section also for free. There's also a bunch of other channels you can add, like a Hasbro one that has all the old Gi Joe cartoons from the 80's.

It's been well worth the price.
I picked one up, though I already had the original Fire TV. Figured at $19 I couldn't go wrong. For some stupid reason I was unable to initially update the software on it via my wifi connection, had to turn on my phone tethering to do it, but once I did it works really well. I'll keep it around for times when I'm on the road and want Fire TV with me. Same with my Roku stick. I love these little tech toys.