American Dad Moving to TBS in 2014

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/american-dad-moving-to-tbs-in-2014/

BREAKING … TBS continues to boost its slate to provide better primetime lead-ins to its flagship talk show Conan. The network announced today that has picked up Fox’s animated comedy American Dad! and will air it beginning in 2014 — the Turner net has ordered 15 episodes of the 20th Century Fox TV-produced series’ 11th season. The Seth MacFarlane comedy premiered on Fox in 2005 and has been a long-standing member of that network’s Sunday animation block. American Dad! will kick off its 10th (and now last) season on Fox on September 29. Under the new deal, fellow Turner network Adult Swim will present encores of each episode after initial airings on TBS. TBS and Adult Swim already air reruns of American Dad! and MacFarlane’s Family Guy throughout the networks’ lineups.

American Dad! is a great fit for TBS, a favorite of comedy fans who like smart, irreverent humor with ample doses of biting wit and skewering satire,” said Michael Wright, president, head of programming for TBS, TNT and Turner Classic Movie, in announcing the deal. “We look forward to welcoming Seth MacFarlane and the rest of his team as they bring this iconic show to TBS.”

Creators MacFarlane, Mike Barker and Matt Weitzman are exec producers.

“American Dad! is a brilliantly inventive series, and TBS’s desire to platform new episodes demonstrates the enduring power of great and compelling content,” commented Twentieth Century Fox TV Chairmen Gary Newman and Dana Walden. “Seth, Mike and Matt have created an incredibly rich world of unique characters, and we couldn’t be happier that they will be able to continue to tell their trademark brand of subversive, hilarious stories to their millions of fans.”
This seems weird.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I think its a smart move for TBS. But it sucks for Fox because it leaves a huge hole in their Animation Domination line up.

But the real question is, what become ofs one of Wackbag's longest running threads, Fox Toons?

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
I wonder why FOX let it go? I think it showed stronger than FG pretty often. Bob's Burgers still is fresher than either of them, but I suspect that's because Bob's hasn't been around as long.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Could TBS be trying to directly compete with Comedy Central?

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
BREAKING … TBS continues to boost its slate to provide better primetime lead-ins to its flagship talk show Conan. The network announced today that has picked up Fox’s animated comedy American Dad! and will air it beginning in 2014 — the Turner net has ordered 15 episodes of the 20th Century Fox TV-produced series’ 11th season.

How exactly do 15 episodes of a weekly series help Conan, especially if they keep it on Sunday?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I know you're getting grief, but I think you may be on to something...
I don't think it's such a weird concept either, even if the "TBS- We Mean Funny" campaign seems to be several years old by now. Either way, I definitely think IFC has been trying to take a bite out of Comedy Central with its original programming, and has become relatively successful at that. It seems to know how to tap into the more "modern" alternative comedy while Comedy Central seems stuck doing its "frat" comedy. Though I think I have read more interest in IFC's comedy fare than CC's latest. I don't know TBS' voice yet. Castoffs from other networks? I know Conan hasn't made waves (because it's stuck in the same format). American Dad is American Dad. And I haven't seen Opie's show yet.

Though it's nice that IFC is following its mission statement with movies like Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.