America's Best Fries

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
America's Best Fries

By The Daily Meal | Shine Food – Tue, Apr 3, 2012 2:01 PM EDT
A collection of the finest spuds in the countryEven though their name sounds very international, french fries are about as American as any food can be - they're deep-fried, they're the quintessential vehicle for ketchup (America's favorite condiment, hands down), and they're made from one of the country's most bountiful crops, potatoes. However, while french fries are so popular in the U.S. that they can be found on most menus, those who know fries know that the standard, mediocre orders stand worlds apart from the outstanding examples.

So what makes a perfect fry? There's the crunchiness element for sure - that crisp exterior texture that holds up against the impending threat of sogginess. Then, the soft, fluffy interior, filled with potato that's cooked through but not dried out or raw-tasting. The color also comes into play - the best fries have that undeniable golden-brown hue. When all of these elements come together, they create the perfect fry that needs no condiments.

Creating this list was no easy feat, as fries are so prevalent in the U.S. and there are so many varieties to consider. To start things off, we compiled the "best of" fries lists from publications across the country and noted fries that have won awards for their excellence in the past two years. Then, we consulted The Daily Meal's knowledgeable editorial staff and network of acclaimed experts and contributors to get their take on the nominations and help to narrow down the choices. From there, the 15 best fries in America emerged.

For the purposes of this list, only standard potato fries are being considered, not including sweet potato fries. While yucca, avocado, and other alterna-fries are certainly delectable, this list accounts only for the classic spud-derived variety. By the same token, some fries on this list may come doused in white truffle oil and accompanied by the likes of smoky tomato ketchup, but they made the list because the fries are outstanding on their own.

Facebook/Boise Fry CompanyIdaho Potato Fries - Boise Fry Company, Boise, Idaho
It comes as no surprise that an Idaho fry shop would make some of the best fries in the country, given the integral connection that Idahoans have to their potatoes. The fries at the Boise Fry Company come with lots of options - first is the potato itself (choose between russet, purple, gold, sweet, okinawa, and yam), next is the preparation (shoestring, regular, home-style, curly, or the famous po-balls). From there, all that's left to do is fry them up and devour the whole serving. boisefrycompany.com

Flickr/CherryletMonk's Frites - The Publick House, Brookline, Mass.
This Belgian brew pub specializes in suds (no surprise there), but they also serve a menu of delightful pub fare. Hand-cut Yukon Gold potatoes are fried until golden brown, then dusted with sea salt, and when they're not accompanying a burger, they're served in a traditional Belgian paper cone with a choice of two dipping sauces, such as McChouffe roasted garlic-asiago mayo and creamy Wostyntje beer mustard. eatgoodfooddrinkbetterbeer.com

Yelp/LoiccHerbed Fries - Tavern, Los Angeles
The fries at Suzanne Goin's restaurant, Tavern, are fresh-cut, double-fried, and tossed with delicate fresh herbs. Does it get any better than that? Simple and straightforward, the fries are a perfect reflection of Goin's culinary philosophy. tavernnla.com

Flickr/KennejimaBelgian Fries - Frjtz Fries, San Francisco
The fries are the specialty at Frjtz - they're available in original, white truffle oil, spicy, and garlic. They also come with the option of more than 22 varieties of dipping sauces, available in flavors like Kalamata ketchup, ginger orange mayo, and Parmesan peppercorn ranch. They're fried up golden brown and delicious, just like they're done in Belgium. frjtzfries.com

Yelp/Casey H.Jonesy's World Famous Fries - Jonesy's EatBar, Denver
These thick-cut steak fries from Jonesy's EatBar are crisp and crunchy on their own, but for those looking for something extra, they also come with truffle aioli and Parmesan cheese, Frank's hot sauce and blue cheese, or sausage gravy and Cheddar cheese. jeatbar.com

Facebook/Edzo's Burger ShopFrench Fries - Edzo's Burger Shop, Evanston, Ill.
Eddie Lakin, the owner of Edzo's, has had a long, notable career in the fine dining world of Chicago, but Edzo's is his first and only solo space. Never mind the fact that college students like those of Evanston's Northwestern University happen to be the perfect consumers for a burger-and-fries place, the offerings at Edzo's are truly outstanding. The fries here are cut thin and fried until extra crispy. edzos.com

Facebook/DMK BurgerSea Salt and Black Pepper Fries - DMK Burger, Chicago
Michael Kornick rose to fame in the Chicago dining scene thanks to his elegantly executed fare and upscale atmosphere at his restaurant MK in the city's Near North Side neighborhood. So when Kornick decided to open up a burger-and-fries joint a few years ago, the venture seemed like quite a departure - but not so surprisingly, he created another success. The fries at DMK come in a variety of flavors and combinations, but the standard sea salt and black pepper hand-cut ones, made from russet potatoes, are the claim to fame. dmkburgerbar.com

Eamonn's: A Dublin Chipper Chips - Eamonn's: A Dublin Chipper, Alexandria, Va.
This little restaurant in the nation's capital serves up authentic Irish chips (which are the equivalent of fries in the States for those who don't know). They come in two sizes - "single" and "large" and are hand-cut and double-fried to achieve the perfect level of crispness. eamonnsdublinchipper.com

Yelp/Norry H. The Fry Plate - Palena Café, Washington, D.C.
The more casual half of Palena in D.C.'s Cleveland Park neighborhood offers a menu brimming with Italian- and American-inspired dishes that change according to the season. And while the more formal dining room is renowned in its own right, the café is the part of Palena that made The Daily Meal's list of the 101 best restaurants in America for 2012. One of the most notable standbys on the menu is the fry plate, a serving fit for a crowd filled with fried white and dauphine potatoes, onions, and lemons with a side of Sriracha mayonnaise. palenarestaurant.com
http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/americas-best-fries-180100626.html

Slide show with a few more at the link.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Fuck I'm starving...we got any fries back there?

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I fucking love fries. Carnival fries are the best. Ketchup and hot sauce is pretty good, ketchup an mayonnaise is pretty good too.

starfsckers inc

Ambitious, but rubbish.
Dec 2, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Five Guys have great fries.
x2. Love them.

Curley's Fries down at the piers in Wildwood are phenomenal. That was my introduction to using vinegar as a dip, and...well, it's probably the only time I ever do.

I'm also a sucker for cheese and/or garbage fries.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
Rally's now sells their fries in my local wally world. I typically bake fries and these are fucking superb.

Fair fries are typically the best, but I haven't had those in a long damned time.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I am a fry-eating motherfucker. I like all different kinds, but my favorite probably has to be steak fries from a local place near me. They put something on them, just a subtle seasoning that makes them just amazing.

Chickie's crab fries are overrated, IMO. The novelty wore off for me I guess. I'll eat them, but I don't go out of my way for them.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
The best tasting fries are cooked in Duck Fat. Not many places serve them, but usually 1-2 places make them in major cities. Go to Hot Dougs if you are ever in Chicago.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I am a fry-eating motherfucker. I like all different kinds, but my favorite probably has to be steak fries from a local place near me. They put something on them, just a subtle seasoning that makes them just amazing.

Chickie's crab fries are overrated, IMO. The novelty wore off for me I guess. I'll eat them, but I don't go out of my way for them.
Never cared for Chickie's fries. I don't like fries fancy. Five Guys or Boardwalk Burgers fries are delicious.

JC510

Mar 3, 2006
Frosty Cream. They're .60 for the medium, .75 for the large.