"Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business"

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
An incredible book by Neil Postman. Think I'm going to pick this up tomorrow. It's related to Op & Ant's tooling on the morning news & stuff.

thought I'd share...

"From the author of Teaching as a Subversive Activity comes a sustained, withering and thought-provoking attack on television and what it is doing to us. Postman's theme is the decline of the printed word and the ascendancy of the "tube" with its tendency to present everything..murder, mayhem, politics, weather as entertainment. The ultimate effect, as Postman sees it, is the shrivelling of public discourse as TV degrades our conception of what constitutes news, political debate, art, even religious thought. Early chapters trace America's one-time love affair with the printed word, from colonial pamphlets to the publication of the Lincoln-Douglas debates. There's a biting analysis of TV commercials as a form of "instant therapy" based on the assumption that human problems are easily solvable. Postman goes further than other critics in demonstrating that television represents a hostile attack on literate culture." - Publisher's Weekly

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
the tv is evil mannnnnnnn,

sorry im watching "how its' made" bbl

Got One?

.....and she was a stewardess.
Aug 3, 2004
ak-ROWDY
How It's Made

the most boring, and MYSTIFYING show ever created. i can't turn that shit off. of course, after seeing ben bailey driving a cab.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
the god damn music is mesmerizing, it also makes me love my job even more, some of the processes that i see make me so glad that im not a factory worker

Got One?

.....and she was a stewardess.
Aug 3, 2004
ak-ROWDY
How It's Made

the most boring, and MYSTIFYING show ever created. i can't turn that shit off. of course, after seeing ben bailey driving a cab.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
How It's Made

the most boring, and MYSTIFYING show ever created. I can't turn that shit off of course, after seeing Ben Bailey driving a cab.

commish13

Personal Friend of Chris Jericho
May 24, 2005
Emerson, NJ
Speaking of this book, I destroyed some of my bedroom a couple days ago and rearranged things, and I came across it in a pile of crap. I had to buy the book for a class in freshman or sophomore year of college, but we never used it and I never read it. Maybe I'll check it out some time.