Amy Schumer's new show: 3m viewers, biggest debut of the year for Comedy Central

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
And yet it was a huge stinkeroo. I guess the massive marketing campaign paid off.

Oh, the 3 million viewers was over three airings, and by being the biggest debut of the year for Comedy Central, that means it beat out these shows:

Kroll Show
The Jeselnik Offensive
The Ben Show
Nathan for You

Umm...

So yeah, there was a sketch where Amy was in the casting call for 2 Girls 1 Cup where apparently the joke was bleeping out the word "shit" about 97,000 times. Way to start off your show with something topical.

The second bit was actually kind of funny: a split screen featuring the guy's and girl's perspective the day after a one night stand. Amy's half was completely and utterly predictable. The guy's side had a couple good scenes.

Then came an excruciating five minute faux dramatic reality segment about three people surviving various horrors and enduring them. Judging by the length, I'm assuming it was supposed to be this episode's pièce de résistance. Wow. Nothing even resembling humor here. See, because Amy's "horror" was enduring an in-flight movie without a headset. Get it?

The final sketch was Amy being helped by a black salesman, then not being able to recognize him next to the other two black salesmen when the black cashier asked who should get the commission. I'm all for a good they-all-look-alike joke, but this went on way too long and seemed like a throwaway SNL sketch. Not one good line.

Interspersed throughout were bits of Amy's standup and man on the street interviews. The standup was Amy's standard crap: I'm a sort of attractive girl who likes to talk about dirty sex. Notice me, daddy. The interviews were the best. She's a lot better at improv than at telling her well-rehearsed jokes.

And that's why the funniest part of the entire show was an interview with model Shelby Welinder, who's probably best known for a picture that isn't quite her:

Less sketches, more improv, please.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Haven't seen it. I only know Amy from ONA, where I've liked her.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Amy is funny. Her show isn't. I punched out during the horror bit.

Dec 12, 2007
All I can think of when I see Amy is Patrice's quote, "Amy is funny because she isn't as pretty as she wanted to be".

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I thought it was alright, but the "I Survived" thing was horrible.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
This is where the guys lose me. They talk about being honest, but all of them stated Amy's show was incredibly funny and that's not entirely true. They're as phony as anyone else when it comes to their close associates. Jimmy's probably the worst offender of that. Ozzy hasn't had a good album in 30 years, yet Jimmy won't admit to it.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
This is where the guys lose me. They talk about being honest, but all of them stated Amy's show was incredibly funny and that's not entirely true. They're as phony as anyone else when it comes to their close associates. Jimmy's probably the worst offender of that. Ozzy hasn't had a good album in 30 years, yet Jimmy won't admit to it.
You have to take that shit with a grain of salt when it comes to the people that are close to the show. Everything everyone does is always hilarious and their latest project is always the best thing they've ever done. You can't really expect them to trash the people that are their show's bread and butter (or Jimmy's childhood idols). Norton is already raving about Black Sabbath's new CD on the basis of one mediocre song.

This is when I really miss Patrice. He would dissect her show and just not give a fuck.

Dec 12, 2007
You have to take that shit with a grain of salt when it comes to the people that are close to the show. Everything everyone does is always hilarious and their latest project is always the best thing they've ever done. You can't really expect them to trash the people that are their show's bread and butter (or Jimmy's childhood idols). Norton is already raving about Black Sabbath's new CD on the basis of one mediocre song.

This is when I really miss Patrice. He would dissect her show and just not give a fuck.
You can tell it wasn't great. They all used the same key words they use when a movie stinks and a actors there in studio.

There's a general "we're lying" vibe you can feel, like when Jimmy does his "eh-heheh" laugh for Opie. It's kind of a half hearted grunt versus a laugh. When anthony does his horridly offensive jokes or when Colin Quinn comes in you see what it sounds like when Jimmy REALLY laughs. Everyone needs a little dose of the CQ to make things right.

Rash Rendering

Feb 9, 2010
I agree with the above assessments. Her on-the-street interviews were the highlight of the show. Opie's over the top praise of her show had me tuning in for utter disappointment. Granted it's her first show and maybe it'll get better.

Dec 12, 2007
Opie's over the top praise of her show had me tuning in for utter disappointment.
Never trust Opie. Opie might be a radio genius but after that hes as dumb as they get. He's a grown man who says "diner-saur", its dinosaur you fuckin dunce.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I agree with the above assessments. Her on-the-street interviews were the highlight of the show. Opie's over the top praise of her show had me tuning in for utter disappointment. Granted it's her first show and maybe it'll get better.
I never cared for her and the few minutes of show I saw didn't change my mind.

Last night I did a search for showings and they had 9 more showings scheduled. If they get good ratings, they drive it into the ground.

Oct 4, 2004
Las Vegas
Never trust Opie. Opie might be a radio genius but after that hes as dumb as they get. He's a grown man who says "diner-saur", its dinosaur you fuckin dunce.
If we can have a president who says "nyu-cular" we can have a radio host who says "diner-saur."

MelissaY1

Resident Star Fucker
Nov 28, 2005
NY
I appreciate everyone's honest opinions here on the show. While I haven't seen it yet, this kind of made up my mind that I'm not going to bother. I am not really familiar with Amy's standup, but I do enjoy her on O&A. I'm not a fan of Comedy Central in general these days. I think they have watered themselves down too much as far as editing, etc. I don't think they are as "edgy" as they claim to be.

I think "Legit" on FX is AMAZING, but FX is one of my favorite channels these days anyway.

MelissaY1

Resident Star Fucker
Nov 28, 2005
NY
Oh yeah and as for the boys praising people who are close to the show. Two people's comedy I just can't get into: Brian Regan and Dane Cook.

Gorilla Pimp

Popped a molly i'm sweatin, WOO
Nov 2, 2009
Mobile, AL
Oh yeah and as for the boys praising people who are close to the show. Two people's comedy I just can't get into: Brian Regan and Dane Cook.
Bob Kelly and Joe Derosa are funny on the show, but I think their standup routines are dogshit. To be honest I don't really care for Jim Norton's stand up either.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
Amy came through New Orleans about 2 months ago and I REALLY wanted to go see her, problem is she was charging $45 a ticket. I couldn't justify spending that much after seeing Stanhope only a few weeks earlier for $20/ticket.