OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

An unconventional, scientific approach to bodybuilding

Discussion in 'Science, Math, History and Language Studies' started by Norm Stansfield, May 12, 2012.

1. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

The two basic components are a modern version of High Intensity Training and the Paleo Diet. This is not the actual method, it's a video detailing the scientific argument for the principles behind the method.

I don't really follow (or know) what specific methods they are recommending, but I have been relying on the basic idea described in the video for my workouts for quite a while now, and it's working well.

You should just watch the whole video, it's an intelligent and easy to follow presentation, but I'll just sum up some of the main points:

a. The idea is to reach muscle fatigue, through aprox. 90 seconds worth of simple and slowly executed repetitions of bodybuilding exercise that's as simple and straight forward as possible. (it's not as easy as it sounds, because you have to learn to not panic and continue lifting past the point where you would normally quit - and by lifting I mean pushing, because you can't actually move the weight anymore - well past the point where it feels like you are done, and where most bodybuilders would just stop instinctively)

b. You need to exercise a muscle group only once every 5 to 10 days, which amounts to only 12 to 15 minutes of workout time a week. More is actually less effective at building muscle (the reasons are explained at length in the video).

c. Aerobic conditioning is unnecessary, because bodybuilding provides it (it is explained what aerobic conditioning is and why bodybuilding and specifically the production of lactic acid stimulates the aerobic cycle in cells for hours after the workout - about 1 hour and 5 minutes into the video).

This however doesn't mean that you shouldn't play sports. The guy actually recommends that you do. But you don't need to run, bike etc. at a high intensity and for long periods of time, for the purpose of aerobic conditioning.

d. A high carb diet destroys your metabolism, is responsible for the high incidences of diabetes, and creates a vicious cycle by which, whenever your body uses up all the energy from your latest meal, your energy levels drop and you have to eat again (as opposed to a healthy metabolism, where the body is able to seamlessly start using stored energy to fuel itself and keep your energy levels constant well past 3-4 hours after eating). The paleo diet (again, I don't know the actual diet, only the idea behind it) recommends low carb, high in protein (and not particularly low in fat) foods - basically the diet of hunter gatherers in the Paleolithic (hence the name), and fewer meals/ day.

2. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter.

So if I go to the gun I only have to exercise 90 seconds each of bi's, back, chest, tri's, shoulders and legs?

3. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

I don't take my bodybuilding all that seriously, so if you do, you should probably research all this yourself, but I'll try to answer: basically, yes. But if you're doing it right, you can't do them all in one session, because it's very intense.

I haven't read the guy's book yet, but from what I've read about it, he recommends a single set of five reps for each exercise (and gives you five basic exercises, he mentions them in the video), performed slowly enough to achieve 90 seconds under load before total fatigue.

But a lot of this is not set in stone. The things that are set in stone are the 1 to 3 minutes a muscle group should be under load, the need to go absolutely all out and beyond each time, and the 5-10 day recovery time, depending on the person.

Most HIT experts (including the guy recommended in the video, Drew Baye), seem flexible on the issue of sets. My understanding is that you can split your reps up into sets (you have to of course achieve fatigue in both sets), depending on what you're trying to achieve. And some will go with higher reps, too, especially for legs.

I aim for two sets of 5-8 reps, and together they usually take longer than just 90 seconds. But not more than 3 minutes. And I try not to pause between sets. Since I have my workout split up into two gym sessions, 3-4 days apart (one for arms, shoulders and legs, second for torso), it's not too taxing. I could do a lot better, if I really wanted to. I'm very lazy with the planning and keeping track of my progress, so it doesn't always work out perfectly.

4. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

I think I got one thing wrong: the one set of five reps in 90 seconds thing I said is in Doug McGruff's book, I actually got from this:
    http://www.renaissanceexercise.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/What-is-SuperSlow1.pdf

It's an exercise protocol called SuperSlow, where each rep takes 20 seconds: 10 for the expanding motion (lifting, pulling, etc) and 10 for the contracting motion, and you perform a total of 5 reps to failure.

I'm not sure what Doug McGruff recommends in his book, only that it's the same basic idea and takes about the same time. You can play around with the sets and reps, but not the overall load time and the need for muscle failure at the end of each set. The reason for that is that, if you're achieving a high enough intensity, you can't possibly do it for longer than a few minutes. If you can do it for longer, that means your intensity isn't high enough.

5. ruckstande

Would I do my normal routine? For example if I do shoulders I usually perform 6 different shoulder exercises. Would I do them all like this or just pick one?

6. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

HIT trainers would strongly disapprove of six different shoulder exercises. You only need one good shoulder isolation exercise (and for that matter, one triceps, one biceps, one traps, etc. isolation exercise - if any) on top of your core compound exercises. In fact they only recommend isolation exercises for problem areas, because the major compound exercises often take care of smaller muscle groups sufficiently.

Besides, if you really pushed your shoulder muscles to failure with one exercise, you shouldn't be able to do the other exercises. And muscle failure is necessary to stimulate muscle growth at the expense of other tissue (meaning that it's necessary to allow someone to add muscle while maintaining or losing weight through diet).

7. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

Six??? The most I ever did was 2: military and dumbell raises.

People who spend an hour lifting, let alone 1.5-2 hours are wasting their life.

Spend 30 minutes per part max.

8. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

If you're interested (meaning that you watched the other video and were reasonably convinced that what the guy was saying makes sense), this is a presentation that's focused on the HIT method itself. It goes into the details of how they train:

And how it works in practice. Helps actually understand the speed and intensity (understand that it's actually hard work, even though it doesn't take as long - go to 35 minutes in if you don't want to sit through the setup):

9. ruckstande

I will try and watch these tonight. Thank you. I tried reading the pdf. I don't smoke pot so I couldn't really follow.

10. DR. Jimcy M.E.

I exercise the same muscle 5 hours a day, every day until the muscle tears and I shit my pants. Thats how I know I'm getting ripped.

Wrecktum and Jambi like this.
  11. ruckstande

Shit these videos are long. I really need to sit down and plan on an afternoon of watching these.

12. ruckstande

I'm looking at this guy's book and wondering if it is something I can follow. Do you actually only workout once a week yourself?

13. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

I go to the gym twice a week, but it takes me two sessions to do all my exercises. So yes, for the most part I only work on any given muscles once every seven days. (if let's say I do legs, shoulders and arms on Monday, on Thursday I won't do legs at all, and only do arms and shoulders as part of the exercises that are focused on chest and back).

14. ruckstande

A book like this doesn't appear to be centered around diet as much as others. I am dieting however but it would be nice to know if exercising twice a week like you are doing would do anything for weight loss.

15. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

Not really (well maybe in combination with dieting, it might help a little bit). I actually also bike or play sports almost daily (basketball and soccer, occasional fucking around with a baseball), but I'm not losing weight at all. I know the reason why, too: it's because I can't stop myself from overeating, especially sweets. I don't think any amount of exercising is going to help me lose weight. You need to have a healthy, low carb diet for that.

But I am definitely gaining muscle and strength, and I'm not gaining weight despite my bad eating habits (I'm staying at 10 to 15 pounds above where I would like to be). I can see visible gains in muscle mass since I started the thread (which I wasn't seeing for quite a while, back when I was doing lower intensity, higher volume workouts), so in that sense it's working.