And that's Supreme Court Associate Justice Brett Kavanaugh!

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Passing an amendment would have been a good solution in the early 70's, but it would be a pointless exercise now, as the matter has been settled. The Constitution left it (and other things as you mentioned) open to interpretation, and the SC did their job and interpreted it. As Judge Kavanaugh said, it's settled law - precedent on top of precedent. There would have to be a paradigm shift in either the science used to make the decision or in the opinion of the American people. In fact, I would say now that if people want to ban abortions, they should pass a constitutional amendment doing so.

I think saying that exposes why you use that argument - you use it to "trap" people because you know that a constitutional amendment would never be passed, but I'm not sure you really know why that is. If you're a fiscal conservative like me, you want there to always be some sliver of hope that RvW could be overturned. Because as Susan Collins pointed out the other day, Republicans have been exploiting that faint hope as a way to build their base among Christians since 1980. But when they've had a chance to find judges that would work to do so, they haven't. Not Reagan, not Bush, not Bush Jr, and not Trump. All of them lied through their teeth to Christians and Constitutionalist folks like yourself. And that might very well be because there are no qualified Judges that would overturn it, because there's simply not a reason to.
I don't disagree with this besides your interpretation of why I say it should have been a constitutional amendment.. it should have been simply because it should have been, or the court needs to rule much more liberally on individual freedom, which I support. My argument is solely with the means, not the end. And there's an extremely, extremely small chance it can be overturned, I agree (which is why Democrats are crazy still focusing on this), but it CAN be overturned by a Supreme Court that decides to ignore precedent. And to that point maybe you're right in regards to political motives... both sides can use that threat to gain support, so neither has motivation to either secure the right or kick it back to the states per the 10th amendment.

I personally don't care if it's overturned, if it is and there's a constitutional amendment for abortion, I'd probably support it. And I never once spoke to the hope of it being overturned. Again, all my recent posts regarding the issue have been with how the right was "secured" in the first place. It was either a) the court misinterpreting the Constitution or b) the court not using its justification for that decision universally across all personal liberty issues... because abortions being federally protected but marijuana use not being protected is fucking crazy.

KRSOne

The precedent argument makes no sense to me, it wasn't in the constitution when it was ruled on and its still not. Thus then its a states issue. By that logic if the left ever got enough activists in the court they could rule the 2nd amendment protects the governments right to have guns and not the people and you could never change that if you take the court back because precedent.

Abortion is a big money maker for the left, if RvW was ever ended it would cost them a lot of money if states could vote on it. It would still be legal in NY but not Alabama. The other issue they lose their mind over are unions because its another huge money maker for the left. Right to work laws empty their coffers.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Abortion is a big money maker for the left
You mean like as a fund-raising issue, or is Big Abortion raking in the bucks actually performing abortions?

if RvW was ever ended it would cost them a lot of money if states could vote on it. It would still be legal in NY but not Alabama. The other issue they lose their mind over are unions because its another huge money maker for the left. Right to work laws empty their coffers.
If Roe V Wade was overturned it would just split one big issue into 50 little issues. There would probably be even more money to be raked in on fundraising as they ran around fighting to keep abortion legal in each state.

All this is moot, because RvW isn't even almost going anywhere., so calm down, ya speds.

Plunkies

The precedent argument makes no sense to me, it wasn't in the constitution when it was ruled on and its still not. Thus then its a states issue. By that logic if the left ever got enough activists in the court they could rule the 2nd amendment protects the governments right to have guns and not the people and you could never change that if you take the court back because precedent.
This is correct. If the constitution doesn't stop them how would precedent stop them? The supreme court can do whatever the hell they want. The left understands this and that's why they're freaking out, but for some reason the right never seems to catch on.

Pickle

Is Lindsay Graham gay? Is that what McCain was holding over him all along?

domelogic

Is Lindsay Graham gay? Is that what McCain was holding over him all along?

Why would anyone care? I certainly hope not. It’s 2018 and people quite frankly could not give a shit. Ram I down their throats and then it’s a problem

domelogic

Wait wait wait....so Kavanaugh was a "powerful appellate court Judge" but Ford couldn't be bothered for years to lodge a complaint against him for the indiscretions of his youth? Something doesn't add up here.

Exactly. I said it in this thread. It only became her civic duty when nominated for the sc. Nomination to the 9th circuit did not have any affect on her civic duty. Hmm wonder why

Pickle

Why would anyone care? I certainly hope not. It’s 2018 and people quite frankly could not give a shit. Ram I down their throats and then it’s a problem
Conservatives and those I know who lean far-right don’t and won’t care, but the intolerant left will use it against him (there were many protest signs urging LG to come out of the closet).

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
@skjultster: Lindsey's like "Is that her real voice?"

Opie&JimmyShow

Donator

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Ginsberg looks like she can barely stay in her seat. She also looks supremely pissed off that she has to accept Kav on the bench. Can't wait until she opens a new spot.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Wait wait wait....so Kavanaugh was a "powerful appellate court Judge" but Ford couldn't be bothered for years to lodge a complaint against him for the indiscretions of his youth? Something doesn't add up here.
The timing is indeed quite suspicious.

None of this was Ford's idea. She was a hapless dumbbell who was suckered into this by the mastermind.

Monica McClean.

She was an FBI agent who worked in California(where Ford lives), and also with the notoriously-salty Southern District of NY courts.

She was an FBI agent who "retired" in 2016. Hmm, what happened in 2016?

She was a high school classmate, and lifelong friend of Ford, and she was one of the signers of the "we believe her letter".

McClean cooked the whole "Smear Kavanaugh" scheme up, but, she couldn't play the role of "the victim" herself, because it would've looked way too fishy her being so connected to the same FBI swamp rats that tried to frame Trump with the Russian bullshit.

So she got her lifelong friend, and perfect "victim" to play the part. McClean put everything together, and made it all happen.

McClean tried to keep herself mostly out of it, because she knows her fingerprints all over this makes it stink on ice. Notice she didn't come forward as "the friend who was there at the party with Ford", again, because that would've stunk to high heaven. So she just picked a high school friend of theirs that they prayed would go along with the scheme, but the friend didn't play along(even after they tried to pressure her to play ball) and so McLean and Ford threw her under the bus and slandered her as not remembering the party, or Kavanaugh, because of her "health issues"(a blatant lie). The one, and only, other sap they got to play along with the scheme was Ford's husband. They got him to confirm the "recovered memory" fairytale. That's it... that was all the "corroboration" they managed to gin up.

The notes from the therapist's "recovered memory" session, and the polygraph test(McClean's FBI connections), all of that was McLean-manufactured bullshit. And that's why none of it has been handed over to the FBI despite numerous official requests being made.

McLean cooked this whole bullshit scheme up because she saw an opportunity to fuck over Trump hard, and Ford went along with it because she's a brainwashed California college campus radical liberal, and she's a dummy who had no idea it was going to blow up as big as it did. She thought she could be "the face" behind the scheme that McClean cooked up, and just sign the letter, and do a few interviews with friendly Democrats, and that's all it would take to torpedo Kavanaugh, and motherfuck Trump.

Ford is clearly too dumb to put together an operation like this, but this is exactly the kind of scheme a Trump-hating, Obama-loving lifelong FBI agent could, and would, cook up.

Last edited:

lajikal

Wouldn’t matter either way. What else ya got? Don’t you live in canadia? All your geopolitics are belong to us.
Looks like he was the only Red to vote against impeaching Clinton. And he's in favor of immigration and climate reform.. I guess he ain't all bad. :haha7: