AND THE REMAKE MACHINE KEEPS ON GOING Fright Night now

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
Holland, Sony to Talk Fright Night Remake
Source:Icons of Fright March 10, 2008

Last September, Shock was the first to alert you to Sony's flirtations with a remake to the '80s vampire flick Fright Night (details). Months later, the studio is still mulling it over. Icons of Fright sat down with the original film's director, Tom Holland, over the weekend. What they learned was that Holland is heading into Sony soon to discuss the remake ("Which, apparently, has gone through 3 unusable drafts...") and a possible long-overdue special edition of his 1985 film.

And in other "Fright" news, Holland is eyeing the possibilities of re-releasing the Fright Night novelization (penned by the splatterpunk duo John Skipp and Craig Spector) and out-of-print NOW comic books.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Fright Night was on my On Demand thing for awhile. I actually liked it, it was fun.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
They are really getting just silly with this shit now. It's pathetic.

Fright Night is a favorite from back in the day. Rent the original.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Loved this movie.

Brewsteeeer

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
they really need some new ideas man.

wish i wasnt a plumber... I think i could make a kikc ass movie.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
So when are they remaking Superman, Apocalypse Now, Jaws, etc? Enough with the fucking remakes already!!

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
Well this is back on track and actually has a decent cast lined up with Colin Farrell and Toni Collette attached so far:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64A0AU20100511

I've given up being appalled by remakes, I just hope they can at least make a decent movie. The 80s horror flick is near and dear to me, don't fuck this up!

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Was Fright Night responsible for the gay vampire trend?

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
I've given up being appalled by remakes
Yeah, who's got the energy anymore? Still every so often a truly awesome remake does come around (The Thing, The Fly, Cape Fear etc.) And it's not like the original film goes away. The one thing that does suck is that you'll be flipping through channels and you'll see a movie on that you like but it turns out to be the awful remake.

I don't think Fright Night needs a remake at this point though. The original still holds up pretty well (although some of the look is a little dated).

No. It was made way before that. But yeah, they better not ghey up the remake because of Twilight and True Blood.

and a possible long-overdue special edition of his 1985 film.
That is one good thing about remakes, it usually gets the original a special edition DVD/Blu-Ray release.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
Nah there was always a kind of gay/romantic angle that I never particularly cared for with certain vampire flicks (even though I still loved Fright Night).

But just look at the influence Twilight has had. Here is the old dvd cover for Near Dark (another 80s fave of mine):

And here is the newer blu ray cover:

Just disgusting.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
No. It was made way before that. But yeah, they better not ghey up the remake because of Twilight and True Blood.
Chris Sarandon basically made out with his male concubine. Making it more like Twilight would actually make it less gay.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Can't deny there were some movie ideas that were ruined just by being made in the 80s, but, they were made in the fucking 80s. Let them die.

I guess we have all the Brat Pack remakes to look forward to. Breakfast Club, Young Guns. Yay. Can't wait for fuckin' Mannequin.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=16384
Peter Vincent - the character featured in Tom Holland's 1985 film Fright Night - is being dusted off for an upcoming Fright Night remake. And he's unrecognizable in more ways than one. Gone is the old coat and white hair. In comes the Chriss Angel style with his flowing black hair. It's no secret that Peter Vincent is going to be a master of illusion in the redo. He's a Vegas act. One that has a regular show at the Hard Rock apparently called "Fright Night" and, below, you'll find a look at actor David Tennant as Vincent on a banner we spotted recently. Can you even recognize the former Dr. Who in there?

Directed by Craig Gillespie and starring Anton Yelchin, Colin Farrell, Imogen Poots, Tennant, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Toni Collette, Fright Night opens on October 7, 2011.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Anton Yelchin, Colin Farrell, Imogen Poots, Tennant, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Toni Collette
I actually really like the cast.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
Yeah, it does seem like a professional cast which is a good sign. I just hope it's not a watered down PG-13 movie.

The original actually still holds up pretty well. There are some dated aspects, but the effects are still relatively convincing.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
Mad Max is supposed to be done in 2012. I look forward to them ruining it with CGI.

While Jaws could be improved with a good CGI shark, the actors performances could NEVER be duplicated in any way, shape or form. The greatest scene in any movie I have ever watched was Quint talking about the USS Indianapolis. You can hire any actors in the world and pay them millions and you will never get the same chemistry of Quint, Brody and Hooper that the original actors had. Even the Mayor with his anchor jacket was great.