OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Android phones

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by VMS, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Cunt Smasher

Cunt Smasher Caligula Jr.

Motorola makes the n6. I love mine except no SD card or removable battery. Unfortunately might be about over, I'm on android 7.1.1 and word is starting with 7.1.2 android will be 64 bit only. They'll just stop making stuff for my 32 bit phone.

2. steve500

steve500 Registered User

Where do you get good quality batteries? I seem to wind up with counterfeits 80% of the time

Why not Samsung, out of curiosity? Not a fan myself, but not morally opposed either.

How much are you willing to spend?

Wish I had known a few weeks ago..They had the LG G5 for $120 so I grabbed 3. Kept one and I'm loving it, especially with the free 2nd battery, and sold the other 2 for about $300.
    The Nexus 4 is the LG G2, but the 5x is the LG G4 at heart.

3. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

The Nexus 6P is made by Huwaei. I own one. Dog knocked it off the table and the screen shattered when it hit the tile floor.

I replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge because I needed a new phone immediately for work. I like it, but I am seriously considering spending the $120 and getting the Nexus fixed. My daughter needs a phone and I am thinking I'll give her the Samsung and reactivate the Nexus for myself.

MayrMeninoCrash likes this.
  4. steve500

steve500 Registered User

If you exclude Samsung, LG, and Moto, there's really no one left that makes a decent CDMA smartphone. Of the big 3, modern Moto phones are by far the closest to a Nexus device...They don't have dump trucks full of shitware like the Koreans do.

Here's a screaming deal if you can give Moto another shot...$37 for a Moto Play G4. I've used one for a bit and it's fairly snappy, plus it's splash resistant

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon...mory-cell-phone-black/5577481.p?skuId=5577481

5. steve500

steve500 Registered User

Well worth the cost to fix the 6P. Does your daughter need a fancy 7 edge? Otherwise you can eBay it for a good chunk of money and get her something else.

6. stellarcomics

stellarcomics Registered User

I don't want an exploding phone! :) Seriously, I've had a Samsung device before, not a great experience.
    I don't want to spend more than $250 off contract. I also don't want to sign another contract to get it.
    I also heard that some of those Verizon prepaid phones are locked out of the regular Verizon contract lines (even if it's the same model they offer to contracts). Correct me if I'm wrong!

7. steve500

steve500 Registered User

On the Moto G4 I linked to, you have to activate prepaid service (do the $30 wifi only plan from the app in the phone) and it will work on post-paid right away.

Don't over-think this... It's $68 (including the prepaid service) for an excellent phone that's water resistant, has a removable battery and memory, and in real world usage is as fast as an LG G4, Nexus 5, or somewhere between a Galaxy S5 and S6.

The deal isn't going to last long, and there's no restocking fee if you don't open it, so consider buying first and thinking later.

8. gorram

gorram ;)

Was curious about this too, I've had nothing but luck with Samsung Galaxy phones. As someone who has past experience repairing electronic devices I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say I will never buy ________ brand again. Guess what, EVERY brand has models that fail, no matter what. The two Korean brands LG and Samsung are the new Japanese brands, they make some of the best consumer electronics gear, and in some cases commercial. Like Japanese brands from the 80s you're probably not going to find better consumer electronics brands. They also make dirt cheap models too, these devices don't always best represent the brand.

LZMF1 likes this.
  9. peewee

peewee Registered User

I've had pretty good luck with http://www.repairsuniverse.com/

10. stellarcomics

stellarcomics Registered User

FYI; Amazon has the same deal on that phone: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M61A8JK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm still not sold on it, however.

11. RobeSoup&Tears

RobeSoup&Tears Get 'em while they're hot

Here’s a short video on how to activate Google Assistance on devices with at least 6.0 (Marshmallow).

It worked for my S7 Edge and Note 7.

12. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!

Just pre-ordered the S8 plus... fucking thing is beautiful.

13. chumpy

chumpy Neurological Anomaly
    Donator

I hope it doesn't explode in your pocket.

14. JoeyDVDZ

Don't you mean you hope it does? What kinda wackbagger are ya, anyway?

Nah, they fixed all that battery shit, managed to turn the Note 7 debacle into a "Feature of the S8 & S8 plus: Multi-point battery testing, FOR YOUR SAFETY!

:haha7: That Samsung, never let a PR nightmare go to waste!

15. jnoble

jnoble Registered User

I have two LG L7's. I only use them for basic things like calls, internet, texting, taking photos and uploading pics to the company dropbox site while in the field at work. My biggest problem is the memory. I'm always on the edge of running out of memory, (always clearing up the cache) even though I don't have that many apps installed and don't download any music or movies. Any hints? I really don't want to have to drop more money into another phone just for the memory upgrade.

16. steve500

steve500 Registered User

Is dropbox hogging a ton of room? When you sort apps by size, what's eating the most.

You only have 4GB though and that doesn't leave much leeway

17. jnoble

jnoble Registered User

They have 8GBs. It's actually a model K7, my mistake

18. JoeyDVDZ

Getting the S8+ tomorrow. Anyone here get an S8 or S8+ yet? T-Mobile shipped theirs this week & most people got them yesterday. VZW won't let Best Buy deploy them until tomorrow for some stupid reason.

19. JoeyDVDZ

Got my S8+. Damn phone is stupid fast. Beast mode 100%. Love this phone.

20. Cunt Smasher

Cunt Smasher Caligula Jr.

I played with one in the store, I guess I'm just used to my N6, the s8 seems too narrow.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

21. JoeyDVDZ

It is a bit narrow, especially compared to my Note 4; the display is stunning though. The sound is really impressive as well. And the iris unlock feature kicks some serious ass. Overall, I can see what all the hype is about. This phone's a solid winner, IMO.

22. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Question for the crew here, especially the Pixel guys

What do you think of the fingerprint scanner on the back? I prefer it there since I can pick up my phone and unlock it with one hand. With the Samsung and Apple ones on the front, I never used them because they required 2 hands. But I hear a lot of hatred for the back scanners. Do you guys use them and do you prefer front or back?

23. JoeyDVDZ

I tried the fingerprint unlock on the Note 4, didn't care for it. Probably won't bother with it on the S8+ either. Iris unlock is fucking amazing. It almost immediately picks up my eyes and unlocks. Had my wife look at it last night to see if it was some sort of gimmick, it wouldn't unlock for her eyes. So it works. Love it.

The phone itself feels really comfortable in the hand, even with an OtterBox on it. All in all, a practically perfect phablet phone.

24. NotSoFast

NotSoFast Registered User

Why does it require two hands? Scan your thumb, too. You can do all ten fingers if you want. I scanned both index fingers and both thumbs for convenience on my iPhone. I pick it up and unlock one-handed every time.

stellarcomics likes this.
  25. chumpy

chumpy Neurological Anomaly
    Donator

Looks like the HTC 11 isn't happening this year so I'm thinking g6 or pixel maybe. Opinions? just Android.