Android phones

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
What happens to the balance at the end of the lease?
The phone leases are kind of like interest free loans. They split the price of the phone over the 18 months and when that time is up the phone is yours and your monthly payment will drop to just the price of the plan.

Unless something changed AT&T spreads the length of the phone lease over 24 months. So it could be cheaper with them if they have a similar data/minute plan.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I'm in desperate need of an upgrade, but I'm not looking forward to the cost.

I really dumb about this shit so I could use any guidance you can give me.

So you know where I'm coming from, I'm currently in a Galaxy S3 on virgin mobile. My plan is $35/mo with unlimited data and 400 minutes.

I'm looking at the S8. Sprint gas a half off deal that is 18/mo for 18 months + 60/mo for the unlimited data plan.

1. Is this the way to go?

2. What happens to the balance at the end of the lease?
Why not try project Fi or Ting. You can finance a Samsung Galaxy S9 for two years also.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
I'm in desperate need of an upgrade, but I'm not looking forward to the cost.

I really dumb about this shit so I could use any guidance you can give me.

So you know where I'm coming from, I'm currently in a Galaxy S3 on virgin mobile. My plan is $35/mo with unlimited data and 400 minutes.

I'm looking at the S8. Sprint gas a half off deal that is 18/mo for 18 months + 60/mo for the unlimited data plan.

1. Is this the way to go?

2. What happens to the balance at the end of the lease?
After 18 months, the phone is yours, you can keep using it with Sprint, unlock it and take it to another carrier or trade it in on a new phone from Sprint. If you cancel or switch early, you'll be liable for whatever unpaid balance exists on the phone.

Check all the carriers, since they are fighting for your business. Especially if you have a spouse or friend to go in with because a lot of offers are 2 for 1 type deals.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
I got the S9+ the other day. Getting used to going back to Samsung after the Pixel but one of the coolest dumb features (or dumbest cool features) is the ability to copy an entire chat in one picture, not doing several screenshots like before.

The little things...

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I got the S9+ the other day. Getting used to going back to Samsung after the Pixel but one of the coolest dumb features (or dumbest cool features) is the ability to copy an entire chat in one picture, not doing several screenshots like before.

The little things...
Get bxactions from the play store, it allows you to reprogram the useless Bixby button. I have it set to Google Now, but you can have it do a ton of stuff.

Another cool feature is Samsung Secure Folder. It's a Knox encrypted sandbox within your phone. You can even have a second copy of apps with their own profiles in it.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Get bxactions from the play store, it allows you to reprogram the useless Bixby button. I have it set to Google Now, but you can have it do a ton of stuff.

Another cool feature is Samsung Secure Folder. It's a Knox encrypted sandbox within your phone. You can even have a second copy of apps with their own profiles in it.
I saw the secure folder but haven't played with it. Sounds good.

Yeah Bixby is pretty lame

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
My S7 Edge is rebooting randomly, once to a few times a day since the upgrade to Android 8...

Honestly, I think it's because I left it outside by accident in direct sun a few weeks ago. The thing was ripping hot and in mega-freakout cooldown mode,

It was only for like 15-20 minutes but, it was hot and in direct Florida sun. It just hasn't been the same since,

It's pretty much paid off. Thinking of replacing it, because I don't have time for this shit...

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
My S7 Edge is rebooting randomly, once to a few times a day since the upgrade to Android 8...

Honestly, I think it's because I left it outside by accident in direct sun a few weeks ago. The thing was ripping hot and in mega-freakout cooldown mode,

It was only for like 15-20 minutes but, it was hot and in direct Florida sun. It just hasn't been the same since,

It's pretty much paid off. Thinking of replacing it, because I don't have time for this shit...
Try a reset. Random reboots aren't unusual after an update.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Fixed!

Since the factory reset didn't fix it, I was resigned to the fact I was going to have to drop serious coin on a new phone. It was going to be the plan late next week when I start my vacation, as I can't afford to dick around with changing phones while I am on-call for work.

Strangely enough, the program I've used for years to access my work e-mail (Touchdown) just stopped working the other day (Wednesday). It worked fine after the post-reset reinstall, but for some reason It just wouldn't sync with our exchange server anymore. It synced once at like 7:30 AM when I woke up and picked up the phone. It pulled down a few emails that came in overnight. After that, nothing all day. I contacted out administrator and he said nothing changed. I screwed around most of the day as time allowed trying to get it working, because my boss loves communicating via email and has a hissy fit if you don't check your email throughout the day because he just might send you something. I uninstalled it and reinstalled Touchdown, set up the account information again from scratch, etc. It still wouldn't sync.

Screw it, I de-installed it and installed Outlook for Android in it's place. Didn't think about at all but today I realized that I haven't had a single random reboot since.

It was rebooting 2-3 times a day on me before I ditched Touchdown.