deathnote
trinity blood
and uhh many others

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Check out the last 10 or so pages of the "what are you watching now" thread. I've been watching nothing but anime for the past 7 or 8 weeks now and writing fuckloads about them. Favorites so far:

Elfen Lied
Ga Rei: Zero
Gunslinger Girl (season 1 only)
Death Note
Baccano!
Ghost in the Shell (everything)
Darker Than Black
and of course Cowboy Bebop. But I saw that years ago. These are recent favorites.

Many more, but everything on the above list is a must watch as far as I'm concerned. Also all of them (aside for Bebop) are on Netflix instant (in english, except for Death Note, but the English dubs are good on all of them. In fact, they are pretty damn great in some)

Fuck. Now that someone started an anime thread I'll have to migrate my ramblings here? Whatever.

Currently watching Durarara!!, from the makers of Baccano!. Not as good as Baccano, but pretty damn great. Had a little Baccano crossover moment, and a Darker Than Black cameo as well. Nice touches.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
No, but the promo shots for it look TERRIBLE. If you're going live action, why make it look so anime-ish? Some times the Japanese get too weird even for me, and I put up with a lot of their oddities.

jthmgirl

you stink and i don't like you
Jul 9, 2006
ft eustis VA
oh oh thought of somemore
bloodx
clanned ...ya ya i know im a sucker for a love story
fullmetal both thingys
soul eater
of course bleach
fruit basket .. it was cute
bah still cant watch ghost in a shell not sure why just never watched it
fullmetal panic was awesome

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
bloodx
fullmetal both thingys
soul eater
of course bleach
GitS is a brainfull. You gotta be in the right kinda mood. Full Metal Panic was ok. Not really my cup of tea, but done well. I'm more of a fan of the serious shit, but if you like funny stuff, check out Baccano. The story is fantastic, and it's just funny and awesome.

jthmgirl

Jul 9, 2006
ft eustis VA
i will do so thanks :) and i actully liked the live action on deathnote because well i do heart L and the shimmigamies (ya spelling i suck) looked awesome

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
i will do so thanks :) and i actully liked the live action on deathnote because well i do heart L and the shimmigamies (ya spelling i suck) looked awesome
If you managed to follow Death Note, you shouldn't have a problem with Baccano (which is also a bit complex) and GitS.

I would love to see a serious American version of Death Note on HBO or Showtime. If done right, it would be all kinds of awesome.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Anime fucking stinks. SCREAM AS RANDOM DEBRIS FLIES PAST FACE. WHOLE BODY SHAKES WHILE POURING CEREAL. FIREBALL COMES OUT OF DICK AND KILLS SMALL ANIMALS. I don't understand the appeal of this over the top superficial awkward animation.

jthmgirl

Jul 9, 2006
ft eustis VA
OMG it would but that will never happen, anything on hbo that is good they cancel. What is braccano about

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
I liked Ghost in the Shell, Akira, and a few others. I actually liked Afro Samurai as well.
My wife goes deep with Anime; that's all she watches on Netflix.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Anime fucking stinks. SCREAM AS RANDOM DEBRIS FLIES PAST FACE. WHOLE BODY SHAKES WHILE POURING CEREAL. FIREBALL COMES OUT OF DICK AND KILLS SMALL ANIMALS. I don't understand the appeal of this over the top superficial awkward animation.
That's only the kiddie shit. Anime is a medium, not a genre. Picasso and Da Vinci both used oil paint, but disliking one does not mean disliking the other. There is plenty of serious anime that I've seen recently that blows every show on American television out of the fucking water. Better written, more original, and some of them have truly breathtaking animation.

Seriously, Shooter - go read some of my posts in the what are you watching thread. You know me. Just see how apeshit I went over some of that stuff. You wanna tell me you'll dismiss it simply because of a misconception you have about the entire medium?

I liked Ghost in the Shell, Akira, and a few others. I actually liked Afro Samurai as well.
My wife goes deep with Anime; that's all she watches on Netflix.
It's what I've been doing recently. I've probably watched well over half of all their anime in the last couple of months.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
So does the NBA. GFY.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
bloodx
fullmetal both thingys
soul eater
of course bleach
Bleach is fantastic when you erase the filler, Naruto is good too (I tried to avoid the shit out of it but eventually I gave in), Trinity Blood wasn't bad either, nor was Black Blood Brothers.
There are a fuckton more I'm forgetting.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
Lol, most of you motherfuckers watch wrestling...shut the fuck up.

jthmgirl

Jul 9, 2006
ft eustis VA
oh oh black blood brothers was a good one i forgot about. I also likes its an ugly and beautiful world something like that

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
That's only the kiddie shit. Anime is a medium, not a genre. Picasso and Da Vinci both used oil paint, but disliking one does not mean disliking the other. There is plenty of serious anime that I've seen recently that blows every show on American television out of the fucking water. Better written, more original, and some of them have truly breathtaking animation.

Seriously, Shooter - go read some of my posts in the what are you watching thread. You know me. Just see how apeshit I went over some of that stuff. You wanna tell me you'll dismiss it simply because of a misconception you have about the entire medium?
Ive seen the adult stuff and the animation style is the same. I just hate the way its animated. It's choppy and indeed superficial kiddie shit or not. There was one ill admit I enjoyed that was made with 3d CG models which was smooth and did not feel like an Anime. But then the missiles started flying and it was back to MISSILE HITS. FREEZE FRAME. EXPLODE, SIDEWINDER WIND CARRIES SMOKE.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
By the way, if anyone gives a shit about my opinions, you can go to this link to see all the anime I've watched and ranked (not on a 1-10 scale. 10 is just the best ones, 9 is slightly less good, etc.).

THIS IS NOT A PLUG. I have nothing to gain, nor do I write anything about it on the site itself. It's just a good list of stuff that's mostly on Netflix in case you're looking for something good to watch, and it's easier than sifting through pages of posts looking for something.

Ive seen the adult stuff and the animation style is the same. I just hate the way its animated. It's choppy and indeed superficial kiddie shit or not. There was one ill admit I enjoyed that was made with 3d CG models which was smooth and did not feel like an Anime. But then the missiles started flying and it was back to MISSILE HITS. FREEZE FRAME. EXPLODE, SIDEWINDER WIND CARRIES SMOKE.
I swear I was going to be calm about this, but you're pissing me off with your lack of knowledge. For fuck's sake - some stuff is cheap, and some stuff is quality. None of the stuff I rank as must watch has any of the cliches or bad animation that you talk about. To borrow a phrase from politics, this sounds exactly like the anti-anime crowd talking points, none of which are actually true. Dude, I have nothing to gain by defending anime. You have everything to lose by not watching the stuff I recommended. I know your taste. You're just shooting yourself in the foot.

DeltaPin

Donator
Feb 17, 2005
NJ
Don't watch much anime, but I got into Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Just waiting for Netflix to put the last part on streaming.

Just started watching Claymore. Only 4 chapters in, but liking it so far.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
Spammer!!! 14K posts huh? You guys are really playing the long game these days.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
Don't watch much anime, but I got into Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Just waiting for Netflix to put the last part on streaming.

If you like Claymore you could also read the manga. It's REALLY good.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis

Claymore is great once it really gets going. You're almost there.

jthmgirl

Jul 9, 2006
ft eustis VA
meh i like neons eye pic he is cool lols lols lols sorry drinking