Anonymous Supposedly Plans to "Kill" the Internet on March 31

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
Planned DDOS campaign against DNS is meant to highlight piracy legislation issues

Al Gore may have finally met his match. While members of Anonymous aren't planning on inventing the internet, they are planning on destroying it -- supposedly.

The tricky thing about Anonymous is that they're Anonymous, so it's hard to differentiate fact from fictional prank, even if you want to. But a Pastebin has been posted dubbed "Operation Global Blackout", which claims that the Anons are going to test the limits of their distributed denial of service attacking capabilities at the end of March.

The DDOS campaign is expected to target the world's 13 domain name servers (DNSs), that allow the public to use the internet by translating human legible text-string URLs into machine-readable IP addresses. If the attack indeed materializes and if the DNS servers are all taken down, the Mayan apocalypse could come early -- the internet could blink offline.

The Pastebin describes:
By cutting these off the Internet, nobody will be able to perform a domain name lookup, thus, disabling the HTTP Internet, which is, after all, the most widely used function of the Web. Anybody entering "http://www.google.com" or ANY other url, will get an error page, thus, they will think the Internet is down, which is, close enough. Remember, this is a protest, we are not trying to 'kill' the Internet, we are only temporarily shutting it down where it hurts the most.

In other words "we're not trying to kill the internet, but we're trying to kill it for a little bit," implies Anonymous.

The posting goes into the planned attack in explicit detail. The tool use will be the Reflective DNS Amplification DDoS tool. By spoofing the DNS server with small UDP packets which appear to have orginated from the DNS server itself, the attacker tricks the DNS server into sending messages to itself creating a cascade of failures. The "amplified" part comes from the fact that the sent packets are small, but they trigger a large barrage of data.

Anonymous will reportedly try to shut down DNS servers worldwide at the end of the month.
[Image Source: Renjus Blog]​

So what's the point of this planned attack? According to Anonymous:
To protest SOPA, Wallstreet, our irresponsible leaders and the beloved bankers who are starving the world for their own selfish needs out of sheer sadistic fun, On March 31, anonymous will shut the Internet down.

Again, there's no confirmation this post is real -- it could simply be the work of a clever security researcher trying to scare the DNS servers into beefing up their security. Also, given that the Anons have explained their reported attack vector, it may be easier to block.

It's a bit hard to believe that they could actually take down the internet. Past attacks on DNS servers have failed to accomplish the unthinkable -- worldwide internet outage. And Anonymous's purported past claims -- such as a threat that Facebook would be taken down (a claim later denied by some members), an attack on the NYSE, and a DDOS attack on BART all failed to have the intended level of service disruption. On the other hand Anonymous did help take down Sony Corp.'s (TYO:6758) digital properties as well as the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency's public homepage.

Thus it's a bit premature to start panicking, but it couldn't hurt to grab a few IP addresses of your favorite sites, just in case things get anywhere close to as crazy as the post promises. Sources: PasteBin, NeoWin
Yeah, that's going to work.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
So, what's the IP address of Wackbag? It'll be fun to keep posting on the 'bag when nobody else can get to it.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
If any of this happens the government will put restrictions on the internet and take control of it so we can be safe.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
If any of this happens the government will put restrictions on the internet and take control of it so we can be safe.
Settle down. That's not impossible, but it is improbable (especially in an election year).

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
I wouldn't put it past the idiots in DC to try it.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
Kirk may have a point. The government can shut down the internet, blame anonymous and then "protect us" with a revised SOPA. Of course the outcry to shut down anonymous forever because of the billions lost in commerce will be grounds for black helicopter operations.

Tinfoil hats, gentleman.

Edit - Seriously, I would put nothing past this government trying to get SOPA and other restrictions back on the table. Shutting down the net for a day would costs hundreds of billions in lost commerce and disrupt every business on the planet.

South Jersey

I told you so ... too
Sep 14, 2004
South Jersey
How funny would it be if WB is the only site running that day??? :trollol:

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Hack the Planet yo! Crash and burn! Let's fly through mainframes, because that's how hacking works apparently or something.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Time to dust out the old vhs "happy time" collection.

afternoonquil

Apology Ostrich
Apr 2, 2011
Sounds to me like they will be force quitting java nurbs while simultaneously fracking some https on the capture scratches.

It's pretty basic computing, 101 at the highest.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
What if Anonymous IS the government?

May 24, 2004
Queens, NY
Anonymous Supposedly Plans to "Kill" the Internet
I accidentally the internet a few years ago just by browsing FoundryMusic.Com. Launched a few nukes by mistake, too...

Nick the Pig

Scraping a dull comment across your tender eyeball
May 6, 2011
Some place faaar away ....yes, that'll do
I could handle a week or two without the Internet for the big payoff of seeing these wannabe badasses in Serious trouble. The whole story about the Lulzsec leader pissing his pants and ratting out the entire operation was beautiful but worldwide Internet shutdown? That's actual full blown terrorism and is likely to be treated as such. I doubt they would or could go through with such a thing but it would be worth it to have them find out that the only thing keeping them from life in prison hasn't been their l33t skillz but the fact that the government thus far hasn't considered them worthy of the effort.