Another Government Shutdown Casualty - Views of Mt. Rushmore

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Rushmore blockage stirs anger in S.D.
Barring visitors from view an unexpected effect of shutdown

Blocking access to trails and programs at South Dakota’s most popular attraction was one thing, but state officials didn’t expect Congress’ budget stalemate to shut down a view of Mount Rushmore.

The National Park Service placed cones along highway viewing areas outside Mount Rushmore this week, barring visitors from pulling over and taking pictures of the famed monument.

The cones first went up Oct. 1, said Dusty Johnson, Gov. Dennis Daugaard’s chief of staff. The state asked that they be taken down, and federal officials did so with some of them. The state was told the cones were a safety precaution to help channel cars into viewing areas rather than to bar their entrance.

“I think reasonable people can disagree about that,” Johnson said.

The cones were down again Friday as a blizzard hit the Black Hills and plows needed access to the roads, Johnson said. He said the state would be monitoring to see whether the cones are put back along viewing areas.

“Once the snow’s off the ground, we’re going to be keeping an eye on how the cones go up,” Johnson said.

The Buffalo News reported that a tour group of dozens of people from western New York was unable to take pictures of the monument because highway viewing areas were coned off.

“It’s all closed up,” the newspaper quoted North Collins, N.Y., resident Hilde Werneth as saying. “They won’t even let you stop and take a picture. You can only drive by.”

Jim Hagen, secretary of the South Dakota Department of Tourism, said the situation is hurting people from out-of-state and international visitors who are in South Dakota to visit the monument.

“They won’t even let you pull off on the side of the road,” Hagen said. “I just don’t know what they’re trying to accomplish.”

A spokeswoman for the National Park Service in Omaha confirmed that the monument is closed, but she said she didn’t have details about cones. A message left at Mount Rushmore was not returned.

The closure is part of a budget showdown between House Republicans who want to defund the Affordable Care Act and Democrats who want to preserve funding. Republicans have passed spending bills that would open the parks and restore services to other areas of the federal government, but Democrats say the Republicans should pass a spending that bill that funds the Affordable Care Act, too.
http://siouxfallsbusinessjournal.ar...rom-highway-viewing-areas-near-Mount-Rushmore

The cones are bad enough, but using HAARP to obscure the monument with clouds is just cruel. Thanks Obama!

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Don't worry, as soon as it reopens you'll all be more than welcome to come and take pictures of the improved Mt. Rushmore with Lord Obama's mug carved into it.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Don't worry, as soon as it reopens you'll all be more than welcome to come and take pictures of the improved Mt. Rushmore with Lord Obama's mug carved into it.

THRILLHO

Apr 5, 2009
Bothell, Wa.
Looks like Lincoln is having second thoughts about fighting that war

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
I was supposed to be going to go on vacation to Yellowstone starting tomorrow, but we have cancelled because this and the weather.

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
Aug 24, 2012
I am heading up to Maine starting tomorrow morning and several of the parks I planned on visiting along the way won't be happening. Luckily, I enjoy driving so I'm still going to see a part of the country I've never been to before.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
So in response to not having any money, the government spends more money to put out the cones. Our country is run by a bunch of douche bags.

And how about we become a country of adults... if we want to enter OUR (not the government's) property, we do so at our own risk for a while. For free.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
And how about we become a country of adults... if we want to enter OUR (not the government's) property, we do so at our own risk for a while. For free.
It's like that anyway. I heard that there is a crazy amount of people that go missing in our national parks that are never found. They don't keep track of how many.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
It's like that anyway. I heard that there is a crazy amount of people that go missing in our national parks that are never found. They don't keep track of how many.
That's because people are too stupid to respect these very rugged areas. They think because they pay entry and the trails have signs, it's perfectly safe. In Yosemite every year it seems people will fall over Vernal or Nevada Falls doing something stupid. Last time I went there I watched scuba divers trying to recover three bodies at the base of Vernal Falls... they had been searching for 6 or 7 days at that point.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
That's because people are too stupid to respect these very rugged areas. They think because they pay entry and the trails have signs, it's perfectly safe. In Yosemite every year it seems people will fall over Vernal or Nevada Falls doing something stupid. Last time I went there I watched scuba divers trying to recover three bodies at the base of Vernal Falls... they had been searching for 6 or 7 days at that point.
I once read a book called something like Death at Yellowstone. It was full on inventive and innovative ways the tourists developed to get themselves killed.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
They should just leave the bodies there to be returned to the earth by nature. No need to be spending my fucking tax money to find the bodies of dumb asses.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Maybe because I wasn't raised in a big city, but I don't get how people get lost while hiking. I mean, get out of your car, look at two land features in the distance. If you have too, take a pic with your phone. With that you should be able to find your way back from anywhere.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
They should just leave the bodies there to be returned to the earth by nature. No need to be spending my fucking tax money to find the bodies of dumb asses.
I doubt they did find them. It's really difficult because the falls can hold the bodies down at the base for some time, and then spit them up and they wash down the river.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
I doubt they did find them. It's really difficult because the falls can hold the bodies down at the base for some time, and then spit them up and they wash down the river.
Exactly my point. Why waste tax money and risk the lives of others just to find bodies. I mean fuck it, their dead. It's not like they'll be less dead if they find them under the falls. Let the bodies wash up down river and then get them or something. And I honestly don't give two fucks if the family has to wait months to have bodies to bury.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Maybe because I wasn't raised in a big city, but I don't get how people get lost while hiking. I mean, get out of your car, look at two land features in the distance. If you have too, take a pic with your phone. With that you should be able to find your way back from anywhere.
I absolutely understand it. Distance can be very deceiving in the mountains. And you may not always have a visual of those features, like if you have to drop down into an overgrown valley or if weather moves in. All someone has to do is leave the trail for a while, and they may not be able to find it again. I've been in the outdoors to some capacity or another most of my life, and when I go backpacking I take a map/compass as well as have a GPS app with maps on my phone. I also plan out my trips extensively.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Exactly my point. Why waste tax money and risk the lives of others just to find bodies. I mean fuck it, their dead. It's not like they'll be less dead if they find them under the falls. Let the bodies wash up down river and then get them or something. And I honestly don't give two fucks if the family has to wait months to have bodies to bury.
I don't disagree with this.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I once read a book called something like Death at Yellowstone. It was full on inventive and innovative ways the tourists developed to get themselves killed.
It's amazing how many ways people die. Getting swept off a mountain by the wind, a friend falls in the river above a waterfall and you go in after them, both being swept over the edge. Lightning, falling rocks, falling over a 3,000' cliff, animal attacks, even getting the shits, etc etc.

There was even a serial killer in Yosemite years ago.