Another new desktop thread...

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
While I am a techie, I quit keeping up with processor and motherboard specs years ago. My current desktop has an Athlon 64 X2 6000+, 4GB of RAM, and a GTX 260 Core 216 video card, plus the usual miscellaneous crap. I plan to build a new PC before the end of the year specifically for gaming, and more specifically Battlefield 3. I'm starting my research NOW, so when time comes to pull the trigger, I can have a parts list ready to go. This is going to be a wholly new system from scratch, including new PSU, and likely a new case, so I can get rid of my full tower Thermaltake I have now (or at least upgrade to a newer case design)

Some things I already know that I want...

Quad core CPU (or better)
At least 1-2 USB 3.0 ports
Would like to get some SATA 6GB support, at least for an OS drive
Smaller HDD for OS, one or more 1TB+ drives for storage. Possibly a dedicated 10k RPM drive for gaming.
Single video card - I have no real interest in multi-card systems, due to heat and PSU requirements.
8+ GB of RAM, with enough addressing space on the motherboard to allow for the video card, as well (Had a mobo in the past that only saw 4GB of RAM, and with 4GB system RAM installed I lost some of it due to the 868MB video card sharing addressing space)

I also want to look at the possibility of going water cooled - either CPU only, or CPU and GPU. I like the look of the Corsair all-in-one sealed kit, except you can't seem to externally mount the radiator, since it is a sealed system.

As I mentioned, I stopped keeping up with processor specs and performance YEARS ago (shortly after the A64 X2 series), so I haven't got a clue as to what is the best bang for the buck now. The last speculative BF3 system spec sheet I saw recommended "CPU: Core i5-760 Quad 2.8GHz or Phenom II X4 965" for maximum performance.

So, where do I need to start looking? I have had great experience with eVGA in the past, and would like to continue with that if possible. If they have gone downhill in terms of quality or pricing, though, I am willing to look at other options.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
My BF3 setup:

Mobo: Asus Rampage III Formula
CPU: Intel Core i7 QUAD CORE 960 3.2GHz 8MB 130W (Socket 1366 45nm)
RAM: Kingston DDR3-1333 4096MB (x3 = 12 gig)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 3GB
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E
PS: Antec HCP-1200 1200W Power Supply (might need if I add a second vidcard later)
HD: Western Digital SATA 6 Gb/s VelociRaptor 600GB 10,000 RPM (plus adding my old 7200RPM 600GB in)
Case: Antec P193 V3 (Gunmetal Grey)

Looking into a liquid cooling thingy for the CPU but all the above stuff is ordered already.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
What are current thoughts on AMD processors? Last I looked into it, they had gone from best deal for the money (95% of the performance for 50% of the price of the best Intel procs) to crap, and then seemed to be back on their way up again.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I would not hesitate to buy an AMD rig.

I got the parts downstairs to build a new one for my stepson, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Apr 6, 2005
I Will Pay Snakes To Bite You
Desktops are becoming obsolete. My latest rig is a "desktop replacement" laptop that is just as fast as any desktop. It was built by AVA Direct. Lots of customization options and cheap prices. I love it.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Desktops are becoming obsolete. My latest rig is a "desktop replacement" laptop that is just as fast as any desktop. It was built by AVA Direct. Lots of customization options and cheap prices. I love it.
Desktops will not be obsolete for budget gamers who don't have two grand for a gaming laptop. There is also the simple fact that they are not as reliable nor can you easily repair them, compared to a desktop.

Wooden Plank, Air cooled is more popular than water cooling now. It's become a lot more efficient and refined over the past few years. Water cooling is coming back into vogue because people are trying to make their PC boxes quieter. You can get a Sealed CPU/Radiator combo for under $100, but it doesn't work any better than a decent after-market Fan. It is quieter.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Boboie, that was my main concern was noise. My current rig has 2x120mm, 2x80mm, 120mm PSU fan, GPU, CPU, and chipset fans, and it sounds similar to a C-130 when you start it up. Being able to reduce some of the fans and overall noise is a big goal for me.

I have been checking newegg, and the Phenom II 4 and 6 core processors look like a crazy deal for the money. A little slower on IPC than the Intels, but also WAY cheaper. Im having issues finding a motherboard for the Phenom IIs I like, though.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I was watching something on TWit and they were building a computer on "This Week in Computer Hardware" with quiet features built into the case. I liked how they put the Power Supply on the bottom, in it's own compartment, keeping it's heat out of the case. It also had little things to keep vibration down, another thing that causes a lot of noise. This is a link to the episode. You can stream it online or download it.

http://twit.tv/twich133

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
I would not hesitate to buy an AMD rig.

I got the parts downstairs to build a new one for my stepson, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
SF, any thoughts on the Phenom II 1090t? Looks like a fucking screaming deal at $170, but I also understand the new processor line (Bulldozer) from AMD will be coming out later in the year.