Another one gone? Demonoid shut down.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Here's an article

The popular BitTorrent tracker Demonoid has been taken offline again and this time it looks like the site is gone for good. A notice on the Demonoid homepage reads: "The CRIA threatened the company renting the servers to us, and because of this it is not possible to keep the site online. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding." The CRIA, Canada's answer to the RIAA, started to go after Demonoid earlier this year, but the site was able to get back online after a few days. However, this time the Canadian anti-piracy group may have forced it off for good. According to some reports, while the site is gone, the tracker appears to still be functioning and the downloading continues.
Of course, if there’s anything we’ve learned from covering BitTorrent shutdowns, it’s that there will be at least five new sites up by the end of the week all vying for Demonoid’s former members. When the site Oink was raided and shut down last month, the Pirate Bay promised to resurrect it and a number of new competitors have sprung up since. We have no doubt the same will happen with Demonoid — whack a mole and ten more pop up. [Update: There are also rumblings on IRC, that Demonoid may be back in the near future. I also updated the Pirate Bay statement to reflect that while they've vowed to bring back Oink, as the commentors below note, they haven't actually done it.]
Of course the Pirate Bay themselves have been making headlines today. TorrentFreak reports that the Swedish authorities are preparing to actually press charges against some of the people involved with The Pirate Bay.
The Pirate Bay has downplayed the news and doesn’t seem to think that the authorities have much of a case (the Pirate Bay doesn’t host any of the files, so it’ll be tough to prove the sites has violated copyrights). Reports in Sweden also suggest that the Swedish police were unable to find any usable evidence on the servers they confiscated during last year’s raid.
Even if The Pirate Bay does lose the case in Sweden, it has already vowed it will simply move to another country and even promises to do so without any down time.

poopiebottoms

Sparkling Wiggles Lover
Aug 23, 2002
1989 - Baba Booey!
I was reading an article about the RIAA fighting torrent sites in a magazine, and the author made an interesting comparison.

He compared the RIAA of today to the big steel and auto industries in the US of the 70's. In the 70's cheap imports, like Honda and Toyota, came in and slowly began to take over the american car market.

Rather than improving their product, the auto industry took the import manufacturers to court, wasting millions of dollars on legal fees trying to levy import tariffs, and other restrictions on the import makers.
In the end, they lost a lot of money, a lot of respect and a lot of business, and to this day have never recouped their market share.

The RIAA, rather than improving their product, pricing strategies or means of distribution spends millions of dollars suing penniless teenagers for downloading the latest pop song that isn't even worth the 99 cents they charge at iTunes.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
All I know is, get Peer Guardian 2 and Tor. Saw a bunch of shit from Media Sentry being blocked by PG. I'm praying I didn't fuck up.

boardsofcanada

You're a Charcoal Briquette..ditsoon..a moolinyan
Jun 8, 2006
this was the best torrent site....what happened.this is a little suspicious.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
I pretty much only use Pirate Bay or BtJunkie,had a membership to demonoid but somehow got my password fucked up. Never really had anything I couldn't find elsewhere.Bet the Pirate Bay boys have a contingency plan,lawyers on speed dial,spare servers and bags packed.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Psst..... Usenet.... :action-sm
I have a membership to easynews, but I suck at using it. I can never find what I want. I used to have a membership to demonoid, and I'll be getting one to waffles.fm very shortly. So once I have some invites to spare there, I'll be more than happy to give some out to you fellas.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
I have a membership to easynews, but I suck at using it. I can never find what I want. I used to have a membership to demonoid, and I'll be getting one to waffles.fm very shortly. So once I have some invites to spare there, I'll be more than happy to give some out to you fellas.
http://www.newsbin.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZB

Google nzb and use the files with newsbin and you will find almost anything you are looking for.

Easynews stinks. They only have 3 weeks retention of the binaries at most. Giganews has 200 days.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
http://www.newsbin.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZB

Google nzb and use the files with newsbin and you will find almost anything you are looking for.

Easynews stinks. They only have 3 weeks retention of the binaries at most. Giganews has 200 days.
I was actually going to switch to Giganews at the end of this billing cycle. I don't even use a program like newsbin though, I just look through the newsgroups on the easynews site, which is probably why I suck at using it.

Thanks for that info.

Hog_Juice

Misery loves company
Aug 17, 2005
From South Philly to South FL
demonoid is great, btjunkie is what i use the most.cinemageddon is best for hard to find movies or .cinema-obscura which i have invites to if anyone needs

K

Kragen

Do you guys have an invite to spare my user name dosen't work anymore