OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Another Republican shows his true colors

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Norm Stansfield, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

This time, we didn't actually have to read his lips, because he signed a document about not raising taxes.

I think what the country needs is some honest politicians, who won't defraud the people they represent less than a month after the elections.

Any other profession, and ignoring a signed agreement would at least earn you a lawsuit. If it can be proven that you never meant to live up to that agreement in the first place, and only signed it to get people to vote you into office (which I bet any prosecutor could easily convince a Georgia jury of right about now), you'd be loving your country from jail.

2. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!

I would have to agree with you. Any politician who makes promises to get into office should be held accountable for making good on those promises. Wanna bet you'd see a lot less power mongers trying to get into office if that rule went into effect?

3. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

OTOH, who would vote for the guy who says "Well, I'll try my best, but it might not be possible"? Signing pledges and promising impossible things are what motivates the voters.

4. JoeyDVDZ

You're right of course. People claim to want the truth, then don't vote the guy in who tells it.

5. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

Really, that's what you took away from this? That politicians should just stop making promises?

What exactly is the "impossible thing" about someone promising to not raise taxes?

6. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

What is this truth? That taxes have to be raised, no matter what? That's not the truth, that's the main lie the Washington establishment is built on.

7. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

If he said it when talking about taxes? Democrats. That's pretty much the official Democratic Party platform: we'll try to not raise taxes, but sometimes it's necessary.

That of course is still a lie (because raising taxes isn't "necessary", except to further their own power), but it's not fraud. At least they aren't openly promising something they have no intention of delivering on, like establishment Republicans are. They're keeping it vague enough (kinda like "this toothpaste is preferred by most American dentists *according to a study performed by our marketing department, on a sample of three dentists who work for us") to not qualify as fraud.

At least, with Democrats, there would still be room for someone who honestly believes in economic freedom to run against them. But when someone is openly fraudulent, and the justice system and the media (the two institutions who's job it should be to expose fraud) are ignoring it, that's a problem. It makes it almost impossible to distinguish between someone who's telling the truth and someone who's lying (although, in the case of establishment Republicans, I think everyone should be able to see through it by now)

#7 Norm Stansfield, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  8. JoeyDVDZ

I never specifically said anything about taxes. I'm talking more generally, the way every politican who ever ran for any office in the past 30 years at least, tends to sugar coat everything, and promise to fix everything. They never say it's going to take sacrifice, because most people don't want to give up their comfy world in favor of fixing things long term.

9. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Why is it impossible to not raise taxes? That's a ludicrous notion.

10. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

his voters should just do a recall on him

either he has principals or he doesn't

11. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Romney tried that......didn't work.

12. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

Ummm since we don't have a link....I have to believe he signed that pledge 20 years ago. There's not enough info there.

13. KRSOne

KRSOne Registered User

Everyone says that but no one votes for the honest guys. They vote for the guy who says what they want to hear even if he/she has a track record of doing the opposite.

14. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

15. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

I copy pasted it from the NYPost website. I wanted to add the link, I guess I forgot.

16. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

It's a 20 year old pact!!...things were greatly different 20 years ago than today.

peewee likes this.
  17. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

Raising taxes is only going to make the economy worse. High taxes decrease the amount of disposable income the populous has to put into the private sector and drives more people below the poverty line (which reduces the the amount of people that pay taxes) and forces more people into accepting government assistance (which increases the amount of people who take tax money). Drastically cutting taxes and government spending is the ONLY way to go. Anything else is bullshit meant to pacify the populous.

whiskeyguy likes this.
  18. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

I think that might be just when he signed it. Good ol' Grover has been recruiting new members even recently.

Saw this referenced on another site last week, would have posted it but it's Salon, so TIFW...

19. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

I shall smash your skull like a clam on my tummy!

20. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

How dare Grover Norquist fight for low taxes!

21. peewee

peewee Registered User

I laugh every time this pledge bites someone in the ass. It's really funny to me how the Republican party has let a lobbyist take the whole party hostage. Just another reason why I no longer vote Republican.

22. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

The last time he ran on an absolute, iron-clad "No tax-hikes" platform was in 2008, not 20 years ago.

No one is saying that you have to stick with everything you sign up to until you die. But, if you do change your mind, you should let the electorate know before the elections, not after. The problems start when you take the benefits of a deal, but then you refuse to deliver your end of the bargain.

Instead, he took the votes and the political support. For instance, he was perfectly happy to accept the support of several anti-tax advocacy groups, including Americans for Tax Reform (Norquist's group), which in 2008 gave him a rating of 100% on tax issues.

That would've been Chambliss' golden opportunity to opt out of the pact he signed. Again: not 20 years ago, but during his last reelection campaign. Or, just as good, he could wait another two years before he starts voting for higher taxes. That would be perfectly acceptable. In light of these recent comments, those of us not interested in having a tax and spend guy representing us would know to vote for someone else in two years, and would have no complaints against him if he won anyway and chose to raise taxes.

23. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

All I gotta say is enjoy the extra 4 to 8 thousand dollars a year a lot of you guys are going to be paying the government for now on. I'm sure they will use that money wisely.

24. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I laugh every time a liberal demonizes Grover Norquist for having the audacity to deny them their free shit.

25. peewee

peewee Registered User

Yeah I know blah blah blah free shit, took you long enough. I don't demonize him, but I would never vote for someone who signs his pledge. Any time you make up your mind based on ideology and not the facts your a fool.