Another satellite radio company?

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Dec 4, 2005
Gloucestershire
http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/primosphere-the-next-satellite-radio-service.html

Hot Damn! Could there be something else in the works other than censored FCC and XM radio?

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 05:54 PM
Filed under: XM Sirius Satellite Radio Regulatory Merger FCC

Primosphere was one of the four companies who bid for the SDARS licenses back in the late-90s, and as you can tell, they lost.
Now, as a result of the pending Sirius-XM merger, they want back in.
In 1996, Primosphere Limited Partnership bid $68 million for a SDARS license, stating that they intended on restoring music genres no longer available in major radio markets. The service would have essentially been ad-supported satellite radio. But they lost, and in 1997 the FCC officially dismissed their application.
But Primosphere didn't give up. They filed a series of petitions between the time their application was dismissed, all the way into 2004 when Primosphere submitted a motion to withdraw the Application for Review.
But the FCC never acted on the motion to withdraw. And in February, right after the Sirius-XM merger was announced, Primosphere decided to withdraw its withdrawal. (Yes, you read that right.)

The reason?
Because the FCC stated that they would "re-auction the [SDARS] license among the other existing applicants" should one of the licenses be otherwise denied. And if Primosphere is still one of the existing applicants, then they are still in the running.
So Primosphere requested that if the Sirius-XM merger is approved, that the other half of the S-band spectrum available to be given to Primosphere.

Primosphere has said they will construct and launch their own satellites (they've in fact already paid the launch fees for the other two satellites they originally proposed), and expect they can be up and running with their own service within 5 years.
"A better way to avoid the anticompetitive effects of the proposed XM/Sirius merger would be to have a new competitor in the SDARS who could begin operating immediately," Primosphere wrote in a FCC filing
(PDF).
Fast forward to July 3rd, and Primosphere is now asking the FCC
(PDF) to consolidate the Sirius-XM merger application, with its application to launch and operate a satellite radio service.
This is getting really interesting.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
i would think it would be less likely to go through since one of the big things with a monopoly is the ability to crush a small upstart company

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Primosphere: Home of Greaseman, Cousin Brucie and RollerDerbies

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
FUCK, this means that the merger is more pssible. Right?

When I questioned the problem with the merger and the whole monopoly thing from what I understand =YES this would make the merger easier, makes you wonder if XM and Sirius had anything to to with this new company.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
FUCK, this means that the merger is more pssible. Right?
My guess is it would since the government is worried more about competition than anything else. As long as there was another company, no matter how weak they were, it would give the merger more merit.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
When I questioned the problem with the merger and the whole monopoly thing from what I understand =YES this would make the merger easier, makes you wonder if XM and Sirius had anything to to with this new company.
I was thinking the same thing but although I am not that familiar with business law I would think that would have to be illegal.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Whatever hapened to 'World Space'? I beleive that it's a sat radio co. that covers Europe, S. America, Aisa, etc.. everywhere but N. America. Anyone ever even heard of them?

AJellyDonut

They're paying for it, you eat it!
Dec 13, 2004
Queens, NY
Don't the guys behind Primosphere-Clifford Burnstein and Peter Mensch-also manage bands including Metallica, Shania Twain, and Garbage? I hope they fall flat on their faces.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Wait, I thought there was no more band width other than what XM and sirius use. So, if the merger goes through, do they have to give up half their bandwidth? If so, doesn't that void the point of the merger?

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
What ever happened to internet radio? Oooooohhhhhhh yeah. Fucking assholes. More radio is more gooder for ME..... the consumer.