OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Ant control

Discussion in 'Wackbag Home Improvement & Car Repair' started by Buster H, May 10, 2013.

1. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

My new house has an ant problem.

I moved into this place in August. Shortly after, I started to notice the little fuckers. I tried the bait thing... yeah, that didn't work. I bought a spray bottle of stuff and hit the outside of the house. That seemed to get me through until winter with only seeing a few here and there.

Now, the assholes are back and in numbers. I see them mostly in the kitchen, which is on an outside wall. I used that same spray to hit the outside of the house. That lasted a few weeks.

Yesterday morning, I found a line of them coming from an outside wall and going 15 feet across the floor right to the cat food. I hit the area where they were coming in from both the inside and outside. I also did a good wipedown of the counters and mopped the floor.

This morning, I wake up to see them coming into the kitchen from behind the wall plate for garbage disposal switch and going across the counter to one little crumb that I had missed.

I hit the whole outside of the house with what was left in that spray bottle. I also killed power to the garbage disposal and sprayed around it. Once it dried, I turned the power back on.

Based on previous results, I am sure this will be only a temporary measure. I want to go full on thermonuclear on these bastards. Any suggestions?

I am down to the following two items:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/ortho-hdm-perimeter-indoor-insect-killer/prod70044/

[​IMG]

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/ortho-hdm-insect-killer-granules/prod70030/

I am thinking the spray because it will have a more immediate effect, but am also considering the pellets in addition to the spray to really make sure the job is done right.

edit to add: The only thing I am not too stoked about on this shit is that it's just putting up a barrier. How the fuck do I locate the nest and destroy it?

2. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

Hire a professional if you really wanna go old testament on them

3. blazin

blazin Registered User

I had huge carpenter ants in my bathroom.

Tried baits and spray and it was ineffective.

Had an exterminator come out. He sprayed in the bathroom and went into the attic and sprayed down the wall. Never saw an ant again after he left, except dead ones.

4. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

the problem with professionals is they try to rope you into paying a couple hundred every few months. I haven't ruled it out, but if I can get my hands on the same fire and brimstone for 1/4 the price, I might as well try it.

5. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

i'd definitely go the pro route if I had carpenter ants or termites. That shit can ruin your house. These are the tiny little foraging ones

6. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

True. Use both of those and get yourself a nice tube of clear caulk. Go outside and fill in any holes or cracks you can find near the ground where they are coming in

7. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

It sounds like a waste of time but get a 6 pack of Coke. Or any other kind of cola. Pour some on your lawn leading away from your house. When you are as far as you can get dump a bunch and leave half empty cans in the area. Gives the fuckers a reason not to get into your house in the first place.

8. steve500

steve500 Registered User

What type of bait did you use? Terro makes a bottle of clear goop you squeeze onto whatever. We put blobs of it inside electric outlets and on piping. For a few weeks, expect more ants, but since they're taking the stuff back to their homes, the colony will get decimated. The solution is safe for humans and pets - it's just borax and sweet goop. The ants explode after eating borax.

Also, screw ortho. Hop on Amazon and buy a tub of Ciper wp (it may be called cyper wp?). Also get a pump sprayer there if you don't have one. It says to use one scoop per gallon, but 2 works way better.

Buster H likes this.
  9. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

I used the pre-packaged baits. Total Shit. The ants would walk right past it and go for other stuff. I keep my kitchen pretty clean, but I have a dark patterned granit counter top. I always end up missing a crumb or two. Those little fuckers always end up finding it.

When doing a little research, I saw that Terro stuff. I'll definitely pick some up to put in the outlets. That's what I am looking for. I'll still do the barrier on the perimeter, but if any of them get beyond it, I'll have a special treat waiting for those pricks.

10. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

cyper WP. I looked up the reviews on that shit. Looks fucking amazing. I want to treat the house tmw, so I might go with something I can buy locally. I will SURELY be getting this stuff though. $30 for a 1LB jar. That's 40 or so gallons of solution. Oh hellllllll yeah. Thank you very much sir!
    Reviews:
    http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/cyper-wp-p-228.html

11. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

Terro baits with the clear liquid are outstanding. My new house down here was overrun with ants. I wiped them out completely with the Terro baits.

12. flyerfan116

flyerfan116 Fuckin savages

We just started using terminex, $100 4x a year and if you see any of the little bastards in between spraying they come out and spray again for free. They came out about 3 weeks ago sprayed inside the bathroom and kitchen then did the whole outside. The guy said it takes about a week to 10 days for it to fully take effect, my wife saw 2 ants on day 6 and called anyway, they were out the next day, sprayed again and knock on wood i haven'''t seen one since.

13. gorram

gorram ;)

The Terro clear stuff is what you want for sure.

14. Shootr

Shootr OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
    Donator

I always had luck with the powders - they create a barrier they can't get through and survive. Had to redo it every month or so but I knew where the mounds were each time and little rain to worry about washing it away here.

On a side note - as a kid I took the air compressor to a mound once. (My family owns a garage so we had an industrial one at the house, just for giggles I guess - but whatever) Plugged the blower nozzle into the mound and after about 30 seconds there was a "whoompf" and I'm guessing it collapsed the most of it.

Ego likes this.
  15. Mother Shucker

Mother Shucker I'm over here now.

Just bring an "N" person to your house. Ant hates them.

MayrMeninoCrash and weeniewawa like this.
  16. Mother Shucker

Mother Shucker I'm over here now.

That Terro stuff is great. But be prepared for it to get worse before it gets better. You put it in area's that are trouble spots, and being that it is bait, you get a TON of them coming around. Do not disturb it. After a few days, the ants start to go away.

17. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

I use Demon WP

from the http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/

a pound of powder will last you years as you really only need to spray every other month and is like around $65 delivered

just get a cheap Hudson sprayer and go to town, the pest control companies use the same stuff but they are limited to where they spray and how much they use.

I have no ant problems.

18. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

I've got the cyper stuff on order. Dropped by a local exterminator supply shop today and got some pellet bait that they recommended and some powder stuff for spot treatments.

War will be waged in the morning and I will be victorious.

19. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

Exactly. I had ants practically fighting each other to get in the bait stations. I just put down more to help them out. But within a few days, they were completely wiped out.

A neighbor recommended that stuff to me. I didn't get any yet because I have an exterminator come out every month and it''s really not a lot of money - $65/ month. They do perimeter spraying around the house/lanai, treat for fire ants, and were using bait in the house when I first moved in. But since we haven't seen a bug in the house in like 5 months, they kinda backed off that. I wanted to tackle it myself when I first moved in but my wife insisted we hire a professional.

20. Ego

Ego The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head

That air compressor thing sounds awesome. Please say a YouTube clip exists of a similar event.

21. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

Then tell her to go get a job and pay for that shit herself. ;)

I'm not opposed to hiring someone, but I look forward to the challenge of causing mass havoc with dangerous chemicals.

22. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

I lived in a house once that had ants coming in through the ceiling, in multiple rooms

we called "the pros"

they couldn't stop them but then again look at their web page, they don't like ants...THEY LOVE THEM!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

23. steve500

steve500 Registered User

I wasted an entire weekend once just laying in bed and watching the drops disappear. Every so often I'd use rubbing alcohol to erase their return scent trail and they would just walk in random ass patterns around the wall until I sprayed the lost ones.

24. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

Go get some diatomaceous earth and pour a solid ring of it around your foundation about 2 inches wide.

25. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

Get an aardvark.

[​IMG]

mr. sin likes this.