Anthem

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
The open demo for Anthem dropped today. And, unlike other "open" demos lately, no pre-order is required.

I haven't been able to play very much, I only got about 20 minutes this morning. But the controls are buttery smooth. Flying is a joy, the gunplay is tight as hell.

I don't have much more to say at this point. I'm very nervous about the DLC nonsense. Luckily, it's only cosmetic, so that's good. But a leaked image shows skins running at $20 a pop, which is insanity. Twelve dollars for a fucking emote.

I need to dive in and see how bad the grind is. But, so far, I like what I see.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
I don't have much more to say at this point. I'm very nervous about the DLC nonsense. Luckily, it's only cosmetic, so that's good. But a leaked image shows skins running at $20 a pop, which is insanity. Twelve dollars for a fucking emote.
Those prices were apparently just placeholders and there's no info about what the conversion rate of the in game buckaroos to real dollars is.

But if people want to spend any amount on a skin for a video game, fuck it, let em. If dip shits want to show off their vanity in a video game and fund more content for everyone, more power to them.

BIV

So far this is really, really good.

Not much more to say about combat than last time other than confirming my first impressions. Tight controls, lots of loadout options. They are not stingy with the special weapon recharge rate. Feels great and makes you feel powerful.

The flight overheat is a bit too unforgiving, IMO, but I imagine that gets better with better gear.

Enemies are a bit bullet spongey, as you might expect. But it's hard without being punishing.

Matchmaking seems to be solid, though a new player spawning in will sometimes reset wildlife as you watch in freeplay.

There is an actual story here. This was only a thin snippet, but it was interesting and amusing.

The voice acting and facial mocap are top notch.

I wish you ran faster while in Fort Tarsis. That could get annoying.

Any there are plenty of default cosmetic choices.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
I know it's only a demo, but I didn't like any of it.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
I played it a bit last night. It looks good but still has some graphical issues. I would think that they will be dealt with for release. Controls felt ok. Not bad overall

Will try some more tonight

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
I went and checked the Dev.

It'll suck. It may start out promising, but that company has a long LONG line of fucking up easy to have #1 games.

Stig

Just don't take a knee when you're playing Anthem. People lose their fucking minds.

BIV

After praising the game, I was unable to get on again. It kept getting stuck on the black screen right after the cover image.

BIV

Check out the music they used. The base song is Crazy Train, they even used a little Ozzy. But this may be the most remixed a song has ever been.

BIV

I'll be more into it when the flight controls don't suck balls.
You playing keyboard and mouse? If so, stop. The game is optimised for controller and flight on the controller felt great in the demo.

BIV

No, sorry. I'm not a mongoloid who plays shooters with a controller.
If you are playing a 3rd person shooter, optimized for controller, with a mouse and keyboard, you are, in fact, a mongoloid.

BIV

I broke.

Pre-loaded the game this morning. I'll be able to play at 9.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
I wanted this to be good. I’ll check back in a year.

BIV

I'm pretty much expecting that. But if I get 20 entertaining hours out of it, I'm fine with that.

Most of the complaints are content related at this point, not gameplay.

BIV

Did not get to play very much, but I have some early impressions.

The day one patch either cut load times way down or they are just shorter on console. I never hit a load screen longer than 20 seconds and that was a high end exception.

Framerate was great and I haven't seen any pop-in so far. The closest I saw were enemies that didn't "pop out" fast enough.

And it's absolutely gorgeous.

Controls are great. The flight is just awesome. Probably the best 3-D space controls I've ever had my hands on, and I played Spiderman last year. Just completely intuitive, both for transversal and for combat.

The shooting is a little bit sloppy. Not terrible and not really a problem at all since there is no PvP (thank Christ).

I wish there was more starting customization options.

Overall a good experience, so far. There is, apparently, a progress wall that people are really annoyed with. I'll have to see how I feel when I get there.

BIV

It’s getting shredded in reviews.
The three legit complaints I've seen are:

1. Load times and the number of load screens. Seems to be mostly a PC issue.

2. Lack of mission variety.

3. One mission at the 10 hour mark that is a terrible grindfest.

Those all seem easily fixable. There is already a planned content drop for the next two weeks.

Doesn't seem to be any legitimate complaints about the gameplay itself, other than PC players that wont put down the mouse. Hey, dummies, it's not a FPS and there is no PvP. Pick up a controller and join 2019.

Mags

A.K.A. Chad
Donator
The three legit complaints I've seen are:

1. Load times and the number of load screens. Seems to be mostly a PC issue.

2. Lack of mission variety.

3. One mission at the 10 hour mark that is a terrible grindfest.

Those all seem easily fixable. There is already a planned content drop for the next two weeks.

Doesn't seem to be any legitimate complaints about the gameplay itself, other than PC players that wont put down the mouse. Hey, dummies, it's not a FPS and there is no PvP. Pick up a controller and join 2019.
A mouse can never be worse than a controller, PVP or not.

If you’re PC runs a game worse than a console, welp, sell your shit.

BIV

A mouse can never be worse than a controller, PVP or not.
Except, you know, now. Or any game involving movement in a 3-D space.

If you have someone complaining about controls, they are on M&K, because the controls are fantastic.

BIV

Side note, any review that comes out before today is shit.

Today is game release and the Day 1 patch. Ignore anything that isn't a post-patch review.