Anti-war judge rejects foster teen's bid to join military

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
Holy shit is all I can say about this one.

GD Hippies.

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_8482917?source=rss_viewed

SIMI VALLEY - Shawn Sage long dreamed of joining the military, and watching "Full Metal Jacket" last year really sold him on becoming a Marine.

But last fall, a Los Angeles Superior Court commissioner dashed the foster teen's hopes of early enlistment for Marine sniper duty, plus a potential $10,000 signing bonus.

In denying the Royal High School student delayed entry into the Marine Corps, Children's Court Commissioner Marilyn Mackel reportedly told Sage and a recruiter that she didn't approve of the Iraq war, didn't trust recruiters and didn't support the military.

"The judge said she didn't support the Iraq war for any reason why we're over there," said Marine recruiter Sgt. Guillermo Medrano of the Simi Valley USMC recruiting office.

"She just said all recruiters were the same - that they `all tap dance and tell me what I want to hear.' She said she didn't want him to fight in it."

Sage, 17, said he begged for Mackel's permission.

"Foster children shouldn't be denied (an) ability to enlist in the service just because they're foster kids," he said. "Foster kids shouldn't have to go to court to gain approval to serve one's country."

Mackel, a juvenile dependency commissioner at the Children's Court in Monterey Park, declined through a clerk to speak about any court case or comments she may have made in court.

Transcripts of juvenile court hearings require a special release from a judge. Court
Advertisement
officials said a transcript of the Sage hearing, if released, would not be available for a week or more.

After Sage submitted a winning entry to the lawmaker's Write a Bill Challenge, Assemblyman Cameron Smyth introduced legislation last month that would allow foster teens to enlist in the service without express permission from a judge.

Instead, AB2238 would allow foster children 17 or older to sign up with the consent of a foster parent or social worker.

"Here is one impressive young man who somehow made it through the challenge of the foster system, had a clear sense of a career path and was denied that opportunity by a judge basically because of her personal bias," said Smyth, R-Santa Clarita, who will honor Sage today at a Royal High assembly.

"I find that to be a horrific abuse of her power."

It was Oct. 12 when Medrano, in crisp dress blues, appeared with Sage before the commissioner to petition for his early enlistment.

The USMC Delayed Entry Program, like those in other services, allows high school seniors to enlist in the service up to a year before starting boot camp.

Recruiters encourage students to hone their study skills, learn to eat right and become fit enough to don a uniform.

By "DEPing in," students can enlist at 17, get their high school diploma, then lock in a military job such as Force Recon - or scout snipers. They also qualify for a signing bonus.

"We just gave out the last one for recon today to another kid for $10,000," USMC Master Sgt. Edgar Carpenter of the Marine Recruiting Office in Simi Valley said Wednesday.

"The Delayed Entry Program supports everything a parent would try to do: We make them stay out of trouble; get them in physical condition; and get them indoctrinated into the Marine Corps culture."

Only Mackel - and it appears a court bailiff as well - objected to the program, despite pleas from Sage and Medrano.

"I tried. I said, `Please.' I begged. He tried, he said, `Please' and begged," Sage said. "But she refused."

Mackel said she denied delayed enlistment to an eager Navy recruit as well, Medrano said.

She expressed concern that recruiters treat recruits "like another warm body," he said. "She said, `All you care about is your numbers."'

At this point, the 10-year Marine said the court bailiff raised his hand and addressed the young Sage.

"My son's in the Army," he said. "He did the Delayed Entry Program. They don't care about you. They're just there for the numbers.

"I said, `No, I'm not them," Medrano said. "I care about Shawn (and) about every single person I put into the Marine Corps. I follow them. I take care of my kids. I treat them like my Marines.

"It just felt like, wow. I even told Shawn, I said, `Dude, it feels like we've been burned at the stake at the Salem witch trial.' She just had some kind of animosity toward military personnel."

Early this year, Berkeley city officials drew national fire for calling Marine Corps recruiters "uninvited and unwelcome intruders" while granting free parking for anti-war protesters. Lawmakers in Sacramento and Washington pushed bills to deny millions in funds to city coffers.

Sage, who lives in Simi Valley but is originally from Florida, was abandoned by both parents when he was 2 and now lives in a foster home with his brother.

He had wanted to join the military ever since he'd met a service rep at school at age 7 - first the Air Force, then the Navy, finally the Marines.

His foster parents, as well as his social worker, supported his decision to enlist early. Despite being denied, he still shows up for USMC physical training.

"Did they ever kick my butt," he said proudly. "They still do."

When he graduates and turns 18 in June, it'll be all Semper Fi, bonus or no signing bonus, whether he's allowed early deployment or not.

As winner of Smyth's "there oughta be a law" contest, he will be flown to Sacramento to testify before the Assembly.

"I didn't do it for the signing bonus, because I'm a motivated kid," he said. "I am hoping to join the military before I graduate. I want to serve my country."

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
We know, we know. California is a faggoty nanny state led by fairies in public positions. Why is this surprising?

Half of my friends in high school signed up in early enlistment and were going off to camps during school breaks and such.

I don't see why a cunt of a judge should be making decisions for the kid if he's a ward of foster parents.

Max Johnson

Oct 14, 2004
Another judge abuses their power to enforce their own personal unprofessional desires.

South Jersey

I told you so ... too
Sep 14, 2004
South Jersey
Another fucking filthy hippie strikes again. I have no Idea what this judge looks like but I can picture it.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
SIMI VALLEY - Shawn Sage long dreamed of joining the military, and watching "Full Metal Jacket" last year really sold him on becoming a Marine.
There is something wrong with that kid. But if he saw FMJ and that made him say "that's what I want to do" he'll be one hell of a soldier. Or he'll end up ****** and slaughtering massive amounts of women and children. Either way he'd be a hero to Wackbag.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
There is something wrong with that kid. But if he saw FMJ and that made him say "that's what I want to do" he'll be one hell of a soldier. Or he'll end up ****** and slaughtering massive amounts of women and children. Either way he'd be a hero to Wackbag.
Come on, that's a favorite film of most males and of course Marines.

It doesn't mean the kid is fucked up. I used to play paintball with my military friends before we graduated high school and we'd watch films about snipers and other military movies.

Just watch the Military Channel and you'll want to fucking join the armed forces hahahaha It's a great recruiting tool because everything looks like so much fun and dangerous

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i dont see what the issue is, just wait kid, you will be able to die for the state in less than a year.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
This judge is repugnant...

Decide based on law, don't legislate from the bench you holier than thou fuck.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
I know this sounds like the judge is overstepping her bounds, but she really is not…

If you are a juvenile your parents have complete responsibility and authority over you until you are 18. Now, if this story involved a 17-year-old kid with parents whether or not you agreed with their decision you would have to admit that his parents had the right to make that decision.

Well, a foster child is a ward of the state and therefore the juvenile courts system acts as their parents and has the right to make decisions (even personally biased ones) for that child until they are of legal age, just like parents do.

This is to protect the child in that a decision they may want to make now may not be one they would make at 18. So if the kid wants to join the military, fine, but he has to wait until he is an adult to do so.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
I know this sounds like the judge is overstepping her bounds, but she really is not….
No, she is. This is a rather clear breach of judicial ethics.

Also, she's basing her ruling not on the law, but rather her own politics.

I thought that's not what we, you know, wanted out of our judges, seeing as they're SUPPOSED to be impartial arbiters of justice.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I know this sounds like the judge is overstepping her bounds, but she really is not…

If you are a juvenile your parents have complete responsibility and authority over you until you are 18. Now, if this story involved a 17-year-old kid with parents whether or not you agreed with their decision you would have to admit that his parents had the right to make that decision.

Well, a foster child is a ward of the state and therefore the juvenile courts system acts as their parents and has the right to make decisions (even personally biased ones) for that child until they are of legal age, just like parents do.

This is to protect the child in that a decision they may want to make now may not be one they would make at 18. So if the kid wants to join the military, fine, but he has to wait until he is an adult to do so.
She overstepped her bounds & so did the bailiff - they both allowed their personal feelings to get in the way of what they are supposed to be doing - deciding in the best interests of the child.

If the kid can go into the courtroom and prove that he knows what he's getting himself into - that it's not going to be a walk in the park, that he knows he's going to wind up in shit holes like Iraq and that he's doing it for more than the $10,000 bonus - then the judge has no recourse other than to grant the kid's application. It seems in this case that the kid sought out the recruiter and did demonstrate that he fully understands what he's getting himself into.

Yes, the state oversees a child's welfare. But, in the same way most "real" parents would relent if their kid could demonstrate everything I've already outlined, then so too should the judge. Again - the judge is supposed to be deciding in the best interests of the child.

Clearly she did not and she should be sanctioned. But this being California, she'll probably get to have dinner with Arnold and get the key to the city.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
She overstepped her bounds & so did the bailiff - they both allowed their personal feelings to get in the way of what they are supposed to be doing - deciding in the best interests of the child.

If the kid can go into the courtroom and prove that he knows what he's getting himself into - that it's not going to be a walk in the park, that he knows he's going to wind up in shit holes like Iraq and that he's doing it for more than the $10,000 bonus - then the judge has no recourse other than to grant the kid's application. It seems in this case that the kid sought out the recruiter and did demonstrate that he fully understands what he's getting himself into.

Yes, the state oversees a child's welfare. But, in the same way most "real" parents would relent if their kid could demonstrate everything I've already outlined, then so too should the judge. Again - the judge is supposed to be deciding in the best interests of the child.

Clearly she did not and she should be sanctioned. But this being California, she'll probably get to have dinner with Arnold and get the key to the city.

You made some good points. As you stated, the key factors in deciding whether to allow a kid to enlist is if it is in his best interest and he knows exactly what he is getting into.

I will relent and say that whether it is in his best interest or not is debatable and neither of us can really speak to that. But it's the "he knows exactly what he is getting into" part that disturbs me about this case. While this is just a small news piece and we are getting only part of the story (on both sides), and I certainly don't know the kid personally, I would be very cautious of sending a kid to Iraq because he liked the movie "Full Metal Jacket".

Again, unless there are some extraordinary circumstances that suggest otherwise (which again, there may be that isn’t being reported), I don’t see the harm in waiting until the kid is of legal age (less than a year from now) for him to make this decision on his own.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
I think there are lots of foster kids who unfortunately become criminals/non-producing members of society.

Here's one that is willing to make a career out of the Marines, and the judge wants to keep him on the state payroll another year.

Wonder what this judge would think if it was a female wanting an abortion?

This kid can have his college paid for, some money in the bank, and be able to kill everything he sees. What's wrong with that?

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
Mumia should fry! I stopped eating Ben & Jerry's ice cream when they decided to support this cop killer
I stopped eating Ben & Jerry's when I found a local place that's way better. And it was one of the guys, personally, that supports the campaign. Not Unilever, which owns B&J

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
The kid should just fucking do it anyway and say fuck the judge. Not like a county judge is going to tell the U.S. Marines what to do.