Any electricians out there?

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Here is my situation. My old AC unit died. It had it's own circuit, which I think was 20 Amps(see pic below). The new one I bought has a standard plug so i could not plug it into the outlet pictured below. The fucking thing keeps tripping the 15amp breaker on the circuit I plugged it into.

I feel like a retard asking this since I work with electronics everyday, but is there an adapter where I can plug this thing into the original outlet?

Taso

Wackbag Elitist
That plug you got there is a 208-230 outlet. Your standard plug is a 110 plug. When something is taking in lower voltage is raises the amperage to a very high level. Your best bet, is to either go get yourself another 208 volt unit, or have someone convert that outlet to 110. Plus also, im sure it might help if you shave those muttonchops of yours.

I had to do the same in my house. I really didn't need a large air conditioner. A 20 amp breaker should be OK (depending on the size/draw of your AC)

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Silly Taso, that's a NEMA 5-20R 20 amp outlet, not a 220 volt outlet. Any 110V appliance with a minimum circuit ampacity of greater than 15 has a plug with one "Vertical" and one "Horizontal" blade. Any 110V appliance should be able to plug in there with two "Vertical" blades, the problem seems to be that this is an old outlet and doesn't have the wider neutral slot most modern appliances require these days. Go to the hardware store Jim and just buy a new single 20 amp outlet. Your new ac will fit in there and you'll be A-OK.

Dani75

I hate stupid people...
Buster, SonnyForelli is an electrician :). I wouldn't fuck with a 220 outlet, I would get an electrician to change it for you.

PDX909

Quickest fix would be to swap the pigtails from both AC units if you still have the old one. The outlet shown is a 20A 110V , not 220V.. look at the range or the dryer outlet if you want to see what they look like.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Silly Taso, that's a NEMA 5-20R 20 amp outlet, not a 220 volt outlet. Any 110V appliance with a minimum circuit ampacity of greater than 15 has a plug with one "Vertical" and one "Horizontal" blade. Any 110V appliance should be able to plug in there with two "Vertical" blades, the problem seems to be that this is an old outlet and doesn't have the wider neutral slot most modern appliances require these days. Go to the hardware store Jim and just buy a new single 20 amp outlet. Your new ac will fit in there and you'll be A-OK.
Thank you sir. I didn't realize the newer ones were made differently.

Buster, SonnyForelli is an electrician :). I wouldn't fuck with a 220 outlet, I would get an electrician to change it for you.
I deal with 200VAC from time to time at work, so I got that part. I just know nothing about residential stuff.

Earth2murf

HATES EVERYONE!!!
its a 220 volt 20 apm recpt.i just change one at a fat asians house.the fat pig said it has chink eyes...
I bought has a standard plug so i could not plug it into the outlet pictured below
yes its a 220 volt

SonnyForelli

The New Owner of the Original Wifflebat
Here is my situation. My old AC unit died. It had it's own circuit, which I think was 20 Amps(see pic below). The new one I bought has a standard plug so i could not plug it into the outlet pictured below. The fucking thing keeps tripping the 15amp breaker on the circuit I plugged it into.

I feel like a retard asking this since I work with electronics everyday, but is there an adapter where I can plug this thing into the original outlet?

NO, this is a 220 v 20 amp receptacle. You Can not plug a 120 volt A/C without reconfigureing the circuit in the breaker box to a 120 volt breaker and changing the receptacle

And you can trust my answer, and yes its what I do for a living

BCH

Wackbag Staff
Yeah, I'm an ass... I took too quick a look at it. That's a 220 outlet as the right prong is also horizontal. Your new 110 volt AC won't work in there... You'd have to re-wire it at the panel...

You'll have a 2 pole 20 amp circuit breaker in your panel for this outlet. There will be 2 #12 AWG wires one in each pole and a ground. They'll most likely be black & white as electricians are fond of using a standard 2 wire romex for these plugs. They could also be Black and Red. There may also be a white neutral running in the cable to the outlet and unused.

If there are only the black & white & a ground:

Shut the breaker and move one of the two wires to the neutral bus bar (the one with all the white wires) You should change the circuit breaker to a single pole breaker but so long as you don't intend to use the now empty second pole for anything ever, you'll be ok circuit protection wise.

Change the plug to the kind I linked above making sure that you use the wire you moved to the neutral as neutral for the plug..

If you have a 3 wire (Black Red White):

Make sure the white is actually connected to the neutral bus bar and change the outled to the one I linked above using white in place of the red and cut and wire nut the red inside the outlet box.

You can call me on the phone too while you're looking at it andI can walk ya through...

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Yeah, I'm an ass... I took too quick a look at it. That's a 220 outlet as the right prong is also horizontal. Your new 110 volt AC won't work in there... You'd have to re-wire it at the panel...

You'll have a 2 pole 20 amp circuit breaker in your panel for this outlet. There will be 2 #12 AWG wires one in each pole and a ground. They'll most likely be black & white as electricians are fond of using a standard 2 wire romex for these plugs. They could also be Black and Red. There may also be a white neutral running in the cable to the outlet and unused.

Shut the breaker and move one of the two wires to the neutral bus bar (the one with all the white wires) You should change the circuit breaker to a single pole breaker but so long as you don't intend to use the now empty second pole for anything ever, you'll be ok circuit protection wise.

Change the plug to the kind I linked above making sure that you use the wire you moved to the neutral as neutral for the plug..

Make sure the white is actually connected to the neutral bus bar and change the outled to the one I linked above using white in place of the red and cut and wire nut the red inside the outlet box.

You can call me on the phone too while you're looking at it andI can walk ya through...
You think I am going to trust you after how much you fucked up with your first post?:action-sm

we'll see, I'm leaving on a trip today, so I won't be able to get into it.

SonnyForelli

Or you can call an Electrician close by and pay him around 100 dollars to do it, that's about the going rate for 5 minutes of work and something that is readily available in his truck

BCH

Wackbag Staff
Or you can call an Electrician close by and pay him around 100 dollars to do it, that's about the going rate for 5 minutes of work and something that is readily available in his truck
Yeah but Jim's cheap

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
If it's (-|.|) then it's 110 rated at 20 amps.

If it's (|.|) then it's 110 rated for 15 amps (standard plug)

If it's (-|. -) then it's 220

BCH's advice in the second post is accurate.

Special Eddie

I'M A VIOLENT EXTREMIST!

Perfect answer.
I've been an electrician for 25 years doing residential and mostly commercial work.
I would leave the 2 pole breaker in place so you can easily change it back to a 220V unit in the future if need be.

Be careful

I was typing what to do when read what BCH posted what to do...I typey to slowey :)

Dani75

I hate stupid people...
Trust Sonny! Oh, and Sonny, I am sorry if you didn't want me to mention that you are an electrician.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
If you only knew:icon_mrgr

I work with 3 Phase 200VAC when I have to replace power amps about once a month at work. I am so anal about checking and double checking

My usual routine is this:
1. Check to make sure my meter is working by connecting to the circuit I am about to power down.
2. Turn off the breaker and recheck the same terminals
3. Try turning on the amp to ensure power going to it is removed
4. Check that my meter is still working by hooking it up to a known good source.

Even with all of that, I work with one hand whenever possible.

99% of all my work is dealing with 24VDC or less. When I get up to the higher ones, I take zero chances.

SonnyForelli

If you only knew:icon_mrgr

I work with 3 Phase 200VAC when I have to replace power amps about once a month at work. I am so anal about checking and double checking

My usual routine is this:
1. Check to make sure my meter is working by connecting to the circuit I am about to power down.
2. Turn off the breaker and recheck the same terminals
3. Try turning on the amp to ensure power going to it is removed
4. Check that my meter is still working by hooking it up to a known good source.

Even with all of that, I work with one hand whenever possible.

99% of all my work is dealing with 24VDC or less. When I get up to the higher ones, I take zero chances.
your a pussy :action-sm, I fucking test 480 3 phase with my toung :icon_mrgr

SonnyForelli

Trust Sonny! Oh, and Sonny, I am sorry if you didn't want me to mention that you are an electrician.
Theres alot of people on WB that know what I do for a living, the question is how much am I gonna start charging for top secret infomation;)

BCH

Wackbag Staff
He's done by now I think...

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Yep. Thanks for all of your help guys. Now I get to finally cool this place off again.

Anyone want a 1980's model Emmerson with a bad starting capacitor on the compresser? :icon_mrgr