Any exterminators?

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
I went to work out this afternoon, and when I got back less than 2 hours later, my utility room, entrance and bathroom (all adjoining) were infested with sugar ants, some big ass spiders and a couple of palmetto bugs. None of them were there before I left. I've seen a few ants near the drains before, but usually 1 or 2 at a time, not the hundreds (thousands?) like today.

I called my management office, and they had Orkin come right over. The guy sprayed and put out some bait for the ants. I've got bug carcasses all over those rooms now.

Anyway, he told me the stuff he was spraying was non-toxic for people, but I always wonder about those claims. He wasn't wearing any protective stuff, but then again, this is Florida.

So is this stuff safe? Also, any tips for future control?

Nortonsmeatytit

"That ball is outta here"
Sep 11, 2005
Philly
Ants are a pain in the ass. Every time we experienced a drought near me in the summer months they invariably used to find their way into my kitchen. I have a friends brother who is an exterminator and he told me to spray the entire baseline perimiter of my house at ground level every two weeks during the Spring & Summer to put up a barrier that they would not cross and I've got to say that since I've been doing this the past couple years I haven't seen one friggin ant inside my house. I just buy a sprayable insecticide formulated to kill ants at the hardware store and the shit works like a charm.

I live in a single house across the street from a large field and they must see my house as like some sort of friggin mirage of water source I guess during droughts, but the spray every two weeks kills those bitches dead I guess.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I had an exterminator tell me a long time ago that while sprays are a decent quick fix, you run the risk of "splitting" the colony into two or more colonies and your problems then multiply.

That's why you need baits that take it back to queen and the rest of the nest.

I've found these to be the most effective. You can get them in Lowes and Walgreens. The first is a box of prefilled baits. Use those at first. Don't be alarmed at how many ants actually show up. They'll probably be there a day and then you wake up in the morning and they're all gone.

The second pic is a bottle of the same stuff that you can just put out if you see a stray ant after a couple of weeks.

These are VERY poisonous to pets, so put them out of their reach.

One other thing, switch to Orange Cleaner in the spray for cleaning your kitchen and bath. I know it sounds weird, but my dad told me about that and there's something in there they don't like.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
im infested with mice, but i cant put out poison so i just set traps all over the place, my attic looks like the scene from "mouse hunt" they weren't that bad this year but i did have to take out a squirrel i only get ants when i have something sticky icky in my pantry, i just use bleach then spray there trail with it.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Borax can be used as a laundry enhancer, much like chlorine bleach. Simply add it in with the detergent to the wash cycle. Like chlorine bleach, borax whitens clothes. It is also good at brightening other colors, so is safe to use in nearly all wash loads. Borax is excellent at removing odors from clothes. It has the added benefit of softening clothes, at the expense of weakening the fabric.

Borax also has a variety of home uses. Some people recommend putting it into litter pans to absorb odor. I would not recommend this, as borax can be toxic to your pet, if sufficient quantity is ingested. However, borax is an excellent agent for cleaning nasty, smelly, litter pans.

Mixed with sugar, syrup, or evaporated milk, borax can be used as a toxic ant bait. Use at a ratio of about 50 parts sweet stuff to 1 part borax. Too much borax will make the bait repellent to ants, and thus ineffective.

The most common brand of borax on the U.S. market is 20 Mule Team Borax, manufactured by the Dial Corporation.
Kill the fuckers and pray the fire ants don't show up.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
We got mice in the attic too. I hit 'em good with Tomcat mouse bait trays a few months back and that seemed to get rid of them. They emptied the trays the first night, so I put out new ones only to have them emptied again overnight. Then it slowed down. It took about a week for them to empty. I kept replacing the bait trays as needed. Eventually, the activity stopped all together. I haven't checked in a month or so but we heard them up there again. I gotta get more trays.

I put some in the garage and crawlspace also. They emptied the first night but then nothing really since then.

BTW, I tried the D-Con baits and they don't seem to be as effective. The Tomcat brand seems to be more tasty as far as the mice are concerned.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
I don't have any issues with ants or roaches, but dammit if I could just get rid of these 'stink bugs' out here. My windows need to be replaced, so they're getting in from there and probably from the attic. I spray my window sills with some bug killer & it seems to help; but I can't stand seeing one of these fuckers. They stink when you smash em, and they like to hang out in clothes and any other dark place.

which chemical kills these things?

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
I had an exterminator tell me a long time ago that while sprays are a decent quick fix, you run the risk of "splitting" the colony into two or more colonies and your problems then multiply.

That's why you need baits that take it back to queen and the rest of the nest.

I've found these to be the most effective. You can get them in Lowes and Walgreens. The first is a box of prefilled baits. Use those at first. Don't be alarmed at how many ants actually show up. They'll probably be there a day and then you wake up in the morning and they're all gone.

The second pic is a bottle of the same stuff that you can just put out if you see a stray ant after a couple of weeks.

One other thing, switch to Orange Cleaner in the spray for cleaning your kitchen and bath. I know it sounds weird, but my dad told me about that and there's something in there they don't like.

This shit rules. I had these crazy little fuckers called Pharoh Ants for a while and this shit got rid of them. It's only Borax too which isn't so scary. Borates are toxic to ants but not anyone else really.

No, not this particular stuff which makes it extra good. From the company's website FAQ

Q:I accidentally stepped on one of the ant traps. How toxic is this bait and will this exposure harm me? What if my cat or dog gets into the bait and eats some?

A:TERRO® Liquid Ant Bait is a sweet food based product similar to pancake
syrup combined with Borax. Borax is a mineral that is mined in the desert
in California and is a common active ingredient that is used in soap
products such as 20 Mule Team Borax.

The product kills ants but will not harm people or pets. If you spill some
on your skin there will be no reaction at all. Simply wash with warm water.

Pets occasionally find the Terro and eat it. Our advice when this happens
is to do nothing at all. The product is not toxic enough to cause a problem
and the pet will be just fine.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Once again, BCH is right.
But I was going by what it says on the box:
Place in areas inaccessible to children and pets.
Didn't want to have the death of any of TheLord68's pets on my conscious.
Could have been Hell to pay. :rolleyes:

wetandstickyjim

Drop dead retard!
May 25, 2005
Congers, NY
first off you need a big ass fire hose and some German Shepards....ah wait.

I think thos Orkan and other big companies suck. and it's probably not just a particular part of your house. I had a serious black ant and mouse problem last may. I had a local but reputable licensed guy come in and set bait traps around the perimiter of my house and along the basement whery they can access and travel around (it's over a 125 years old so it's pretty drafty and not real tight). He then sprayed this stuff called Phantom for the ants. Haven't seen but maybe 2 since then. He came back two weekks later and checked the baits where the poision was. Most were empty and the rest were pretty well knawed on. He replaced the bait and came back two weekds later. Some nibbles here and there and that was it for the summer. About a week later though there was as ligh amonia smell (decaying mice, and then some flies for about a week). No problems since and there is new construction going up all around me.

Get a pro, they have stronger stuff and know where to look. Catching one pest is good and all, but it's bring all that crap back to the nest like a retarded Iraqi that does the trick.

Lingler blubluh.