any one still shoot film?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
as i posted in my FU thread my dog dizzy ate my digital camera..... fucking mutt. now quite frankly ive been dissapointed with it any way., and im thinking about dusting off my old nikons, and im thinking about picking up some more glass for them... since every one is going digital im also looking to up grade some of my bodys, it looks like i can get an F4 or 5 for thousands less than they were new, and lets face it the F4 was one of the best 35mm camera's ever made (can you tell im trying to justify pissing away money:rolleyes:) what is pissing me off is that the lenses that i want are still 800 and 400$ and there 20years old.... its not that i dont want a digital SLR but for some reason i like film so much better

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
I know SHIT about photography but think I can tell the difference between digital and 35mm.You wanna take nice pictures and be a photographer or be a photochop expert?

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
i spent a good bit of my youth shooting film, hell in highschool and well after i worked in a photo lab/camera store (all three places i worked are now out of buissness)

Baggy Spandex

This stinks and I don't like it.
Apr 5, 2007
I used to shoot b&w film with a Nikon 35mm SLR in my first year of college (about 3 years ago). Once I made the jump to a Canon DSLR, I never looked back. Film is something I see as what should be the first step for anyone wanting to get into photography. Nowadays, unless you are shooting medium format it seems almost redundant to shoot film.

Film taught me the basics of photography. Exposure, f-stops, ISO etc...which is all things I kept while going to digital obviously. I guess it would still be cool to pick up an old Nikon F4 or a Canon AE-1 for shits and giggles every now and then.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
i spent a good bit of my youth shooting film, hell in highschool and well after i worked in a photo lab/camera store (all three places i worked are now out of buissness)
I used to shoot film until the end of last year (approx 11 years) and I just can't imagine going back to seriously use 35mm anymore.

It just costs too fucking much for the film and the development. Plus, I can get a 4GB card and take 900 ten megapixel photos that I can load onto my computer instantly instead of having 32 photos at a time that I have to go get developed when I can find time.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I shot film for 12 years...and I stopped last year..having my own darkroom is a bit out of my price right now for a hobby...plus side is I have great lenses for when I get a good digital....

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
oh i have all my dark room stuff, but i also have a great scanner, + alot of places are offering photo, cd's with every rolll you get developed. i just dont know what to to do, other than shop around some more.ive consider the medium format option . but the prices of those are still outrageous, years ago i i had an old yasheka mat 124, and shot a decent amount of 120.

NikkorTheMonk

Apr 26, 2005
Film bodies are cheap now. Noone shoots it anymore and stores are stuck with huge inventories of 35mm bodies that they just cant unload. you can get a F4 or F5 for $400-$500. But glass, it's like diamonds, they never drop in price unless it's a POS. If your thinking going real digital nikon just stepped on to the porch with the big dogs with a killer camera the D300 for about $1800 but then you start getting into lenses, flashes, ect.....

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082313nikond300.asp

Nortonsmeatytit

"That ball is outta here"
Sep 11, 2005
Philly
I have a BFA in photography and was an active commercial photographer for about 15 years, I've been out of it professionally for about 12 years or so. I still use film quite often I have a couple Leicas that I use on occassion and I just have the negs developed at a local minilab and scan them into my PC w/a Nikon Coolscan. The images look great and I send the digital files off to an online printing company and have had great results. I recently bought a Nikon D80 and a couple lenses that set me back a couple grand that I'm really impressed with and have found myself picking up the Leicas less often. You still can't argue the quality of a good film ( for B&W I shoot Ilford XP2 that is a monochromatic film that can be developed in traditional color chemistry at any minilab locally)

If your looking for older "F" mounted Nikon lenses you can find a plethora of them on Ebay for a song as many people are divesting themselves of older non focus Nikkor lenses, just make sure it's really clean, some of the dolts on ebay will sell a real POS and not reveal it to you as they will claim ignorance of cameras. lenses, etc.

Check out this scanned image I shot w/one of my Leicas last year at the Steamtown National Historic Site. I shot this w/the Ilford XP2 film and scanned it myself w/my Nikon Coolscan. I've got a great 11X14" print of this in my office and it printed up fantastic.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/103/250882807_a97d9f48ae_b.jpg

A little more involved wfilm based cameras these days between having to buy film, process it, scan it, then have it printed, but the results are quite good if you ask me.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
oh i have all my dark room stuff, but i also have a great scanner, + alot of places are offering photo, cd's with every rolll you get developed. i just dont know what to to do, other than shop around some more.ive consider the medium format option . but the prices of those are still outrageous, years ago i i had an old yasheka mat 124, and shot a decent amount of 120.
Well depending on how much money you have to spend on a hobby and how much you are actually shooting it would be cheaper for you to buy a negative scanner and a photo printer. You can just get the negatives developed and then put them into your scanner and print off your own lab quality photos.

I have an HP C7180 printer that I print my photos with. The ink is cheap and it's thermal ink instead of just regular inkjet shit. So it cures. You can sit there and print off a little 4x6, let it cure, and then run it under the water faucet and it will still hold the print. But of course if you let it sit there in water it will waterlog the paper eventually :p It also depends on what kind of paper you use though. If you don't use the right type of paper it won't absorb the ink and it will layer upon the paper and then you can just wipe it off with hot water.

Plus the ink is cheap. It's like $30 for a packet of all of your colors (it comes with about six separate colors for more true prints).

The printer will cost you approx $400.

It also scans your negatives but it won't be as fine of a scan as a true dedicated negative scanner.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
For work we not only still shoot film, but high speed 35mm for commercial production.
It adds a step to the processing, but the quality of work is great.

Here is the latest interview I just finished.
http://www.theinsanitycorporation.com/clips/CW_090807.mov
I believe he means still photography :p not actual film footage :action-sm

And wow, that is one hot bitch! You have her phone number? Oh, she's a crackhead. I guess she doesn't have a phone... :icon_cry:

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
oh this gives me a hard on :

so does this one:

it makes me want to go get some hairy hookers and shoot some pron

Nortonsmeatytit

Sep 11, 2005
Philly
Nice steam engine shot. Was it an actual Leica Glass lens or Zeiss lens? I don't know much about Leica but I see the cameras with different company lenses.

]

I shot the steam engine w/a M Mount 35mm Leica Summicron lens that I've had for about 20 yrs.

Zeiss also makes Leica M Mount lenses these days and if you ask me they are extremely competitive as far as sharpness & contrast to the Leica brand at what must be at least 25% less cost than the Leica brand. Zeiss also makes "F" mounted Nikon lenses also these days that are just as good. I like Nikkor lenses and always have. Leica is the shit for wide angle rangefinder lenses and always have been. I bought my Leica gear about 20 or so years ago, 2 bodies, 4 lenses, the price of that stuff appreciates like you wouldn't believe even though in the past three or four years it's come down a little since the Japs have not been driving the prices up online (Ebay) they've been divesting of the older film gear to buy into digital gear. About 12 years ago when the yen was strong vs the dollar it was insane for used Leica gear.

For a 35mm SLR or digital body I've stuck with Nikon lenses, I can't really see the justification in purchasing a Zeiss lens for my Nikon D80 since I'm not shooting professionally these days and don't have to worry so much w/contrast and rendering for reproduction.

Here's a shot I took of two friends of mine at the Mummers Day parade a couple of years ago, they are wenches from one of the clown brigades and this is after binge drinking Johhny Walker all night out of 7-11 Big Gulp Cups w/ice! How they are still standing was beyond me. Shot w/a 50mm Leica Summitar. Check out the work boots spray painted gold. Gotta love the Mummers.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/40/79954350_8fb4c8f679_o.jpg

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I don't own a camera but I think no matter how good technology gets, I'll always be partial to film, even on screen. There's something so much more beautiful and real about actual film.

One thing I've seen around at like radioshacks and on peoples' desks are the digital photo picture frame. It's an electronic picture frame that shows different images at various intervals switching on and off. That depresses me, there is something so much more permanent and real about film and real pictures. Digital just seems so fake.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
where in philly can i get some glass..... it seems that all my old haunts are gone...mid city, camera care, camera clininc...... im lost...... i might go up to manhatten on thursday morning to see the show and the walk over.... it looks to me that the xm studios arent that far away from 47th st or B+H.

specifically im looking into a 35-70 2.8af and an 80-200 2.8af yea i know there pricey (and have apparently never came down in price...) but when i do go digital SLR it would be nice to have what i want, im trying to spread some of the cost out, it just seems to me that digital cameras are going the way of the rest of computers, obsolete in 6months, thats another reason im leaning towards sticking with film, for years i got great shots with nothing more than my 2020 and a 50mm 1.8

Nortonsmeatytit

Sep 11, 2005
Philly
where in philly can i get some glass..... it seems that all my old haunts are gone...mid city, camera care, camera clininc...... im lost...... i might go up to manhatten on thursday morning to see the show and the walk over.... it looks to me that the xm studios arent that far away from 47th st or B+H.

specifically im looking into a 35-70 2.8af and an 80-200 2.8af yea i know there pricey (and have apparently never came down in price...) but when i do go digital SLR it would be nice to have what i want, im trying to spread some of the cost out, it just seems to me that digital cameras are going the way of the rest of computers, obsolete in 6months, thats another reason im leaning towards sticking with film, for years i got great shots with nothing more than my 2020 and a 50mm 1.8
B&H Photo and Video, the fucking kings of all that is photo. I've probably purchased about $50,000 worth of gear off them in 25 years (from when I was shooting professionally until now).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

PS. getting a fast 2.8 lens is always worth it, much faster, edge sharpness is the best and if you ever want to sell it they retain value alot more than 3.5 lenses.

AngryPest

Mar 3, 2005
I carry my F5 everywhere. I picked it up from KEH. (They are out of Atlanta and have an excellent rep for used goods.)

It just feels solid. You could pound a nail with it and still use it.

On glass, here are a couple of sites you may find helpful. (I’m not including Ken Rockwell in the list). They can contradict each other, especially when you get to the esoterics like the Nikon 85mm 1.4 (@$1k).

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
http://www.photozone.de
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#top1
http://bythom.com

You also may want to rent a lens before buying it. There are a couple of sites out there that will rent the good stuff by the week for around $50.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
I still shoot my Canon F1 from time to time. Brass body, fabric shutter. The only thing electric is the meter. Weighs like 3 pounds without a lens. Now that's photography.

Nortonsmeatytit

Sep 11, 2005
Philly
I'll second KEH also, they have pretty conservative grading on used film gear. I've purchased some Leica shades & filters off them in the past couple years and was not disapointed. A good Nikkor lens is the 105mm Micro Nikkor that has macro capability. I forget the minimum focus distance but this used to be a great lens.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105af.htm

Fez, the medium format point & shoots are tempting as all hell to buy. People refer to them as the "Texas Leica" because they are medium format and actually rangefinders as well. The market on those has shot up considerably in the past couple years. The only bitch there is finding a half decent prolab that can develop & print proofs for you that is local. There are plenty of mail order places but that can be a PITA if you know what I mean.

Nortonsmeatytit

Sep 11, 2005
Philly
I still shoot my Canon F1 from time to time. Brass body, fabric shutter. The only thing electric is the meter. Weighs like 3 pounds without a lens. Now that's photography.
They are nice cameras. I have a friend of mine who's F1 started to "wheeze" the bearings in the shutter advance mechanism started to make a "coughing" sound when you advanced the lever. He asked me about getting it serviced and we discovered that alot of places no longer have service parts available to fix these things. If your camera is sitting for months at a time it's good advice to "excersize" the shutter, just advance it w/out film in it and shoot off every exposure time available to keep any lubricant moving thru the mechansim. I'm due to have my Leica M3 serviced and it'll cost about $300 but will last me another 50 years, the thing is already 47 years old and still runs like a Swiss watch.