OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Anyone had their tonsils taken out as an adult?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by flyerfan116, Oct 17, 2012.

1. flyerfan116

flyerfan116 Fuckin savages

Just got back from an ENT, been having some throat problems and have been producing large tonsil stones. Dr. wants me to garggle with salt water for a month to see if that helps, if not i may have to have my tonsils out. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this as an adult. Is it out-patient? What is the recovery time? Pain level?

Any help is appreciated

2. maz

maz TRueWDTer

Might wanna stop watching Eagles games
    All that yelling probably isn't helping

flyerfan116 and d0uche_n0zzle like this.
  3. flyerfan116

You just might have something there maz

4. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter.

A guy at work just had his taken out. He said the pain was excruciating. He never felt anything like it and lost 14lbs because even swallowing his own spit made him almost pass out. I hope that helps.

5. Bluestreak

Bluestreak This space intentionally left blank.

Hopefully your gag reflex loosens up a bit, right?

6. flyerfan116

Yeah that's pretty much what i've been hearing sounds like i'm gonna have a fun few weeks ahead of me

7. mills

mills I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness

You're not going to fucking die kid, alright. Listen to me, you're going to be fine. Along with the kneecap, the tonsils are the most painful area on the body. But it takes a long time to die from it, I'm talking days. You're gonna wish you were dead, but it takes days to die from those wounds. Time is on your side.

8. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Yes I did

In the hospital for about 12 hours. Had to be put under and go into recovery.

Recovery at home took a week before I could start to function and 2 weeks before I was back to normal. I think I slept about 70 of the first 72 hours after surgery. Lived on pain meds and juice. Eventually was able to eat jello and mashed potatoes. By about day 10 after surgery I was ready to kill someone for a Big Mac.

I was out of work about 10 days. I tried to go back after a week and couldn't function.

9. flyerfan116

wow...i was hoping to schedule on a Thursday and be back to work Monday, guess I'll have to see how that goes, i sit at a desk all day and technically could work from home...wasn't expecting 10 days

10. MayrMeninoCrash

I really wouldn't plan on that. If your surgery is on a Thursday, I would plan on taking the entire following week off at a minimum. I had a followup appointment a week after surgery and that was the first time I was even out of the house. I tried going to work the next day and lasted about 3 hours before my boss sent me home. I don't consider myself a wimp and I am usually working when I should be resting but the surgery knocked me on my ass.

11. Tony Bagels

Tony Bagels Registered User

I had mine out at 28. The doctor told me I would hate him for 2 weeks and then eventually thank him later. He was right. was out of work for 2 weeks, but pain lasted for almost a month. After surgery sucks balls but you get better for everyday for about 5 days, then the scabs slough off the back of your throat and the pain returns even worse than after surgery.

On the positive side, my wife had hers out this year (33). Her doctor was old school and kept her in the hospital overnight. He kept her on a constant IV fluid drip with scheduled steroids and pain meds. Shortened her recovery time and she was pain free and no problems after a week. I think the way he treated her made all the difference. She also got Toradol to go along with her Lortab and she was given an antibiotic too. I only had Lortab and ibuprofen.

Definitely stay hydrated b/c if your throat dries out it makes the pain that much worse. Good luck bro...

12. Tony Bagels

Tony Bagels Registered User

double post

#11 Tony Bagels, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  13. Dicktator

Dicktator Frozen Meatbals 4life

Is it worse to have out as an adult opposed to being a kid?

14. MayrMeninoCrash

One thing to discuss with your ENT doctor. When I had my surgery, he also corrected my deviated septum and performed some laser surgery on my soft palate (to help with sleep apnea). All of these things may have increased my recovery time somewhat, but I'm glad he took care of everything at once. If you're a candidate for these things, you might want to see if he will do them also.

15. MayrMeninoCrash

All three of my kids had theirs out and their recovery seemed way quicker than mine. None of them were laid up for more than a few days.

16. maz

maz TRueWDTer

Put me in your Will before the operation , FF

Thanks

17. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

I had em out at 9 and thought I'd die. Couldn't swallow for over a week. I kept spitting into a bucket. After a week, Mom weened me off the bucket and told me to start swallowing already. The first time I swallowed I saw stars and thought I was bleeding again.

After a while the pain just becomes part of your day and you forget about it. Takes weeks though. I can't imagine doing that as an adult. Ouchers.

18. SatansCheerledr

SatansCheerledr Ideologically Unsound

I've pushed the tonsils down the throats of a few lasses in my day but don't see how that would help you any. I do remember there being a TON of saliva all over my balls and puddled under my ass so you might want to bring a bib and a dish towel for mop up with.

Stupid vestigial organs.

19. TreeFortRichard

You ever try an irrigation syringe to clear out your tonsils? If you do it just right you can get them right out..i would love a magic tonsilectomy...

20. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

I think SatansCheerleader could hook you right up. :action-sm

21. flyerfan116

you got it...you can have all my flyers tix for the next month :action-sm

22. SatansCheerledr

SatansCheerledr Ideologically Unsound

If magic/religion was real I would be out of a job.

There will be blood and infection and suffering.

23. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

16. Tonsils and adenoids. It was HORRIBLE. I have spider veins, couldn't drink and got taken to the emergency room and banana bagged. One of the worst experiences of my life.

24. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I tried to get them to take my adenoids when I got my nose fixed. Kinda glad I didn't now.

25. maz

maz TRueWDTer

Dick

26. flyerfan116

Me or Bettman?