Anyone here ever live in Hawaii?

Kugzilla

Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.
Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
It's a long shot, but my wife may be transfered to Hawaii, near Honolulu in the next year. Likely only for a few years until our kids are ready to start school.

Any of y'all ever live there? I've been on vacation there twice, but would welcome any Whackbagger insight...

Does XM broadcast there?

T

treetrimmer

lived there for 3yrs 88-91 stationed at kaneohe bay.was deployed overseas for about half of that time,nice place to visit.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
My brother in law was at Marine Base Hawaii. It was nice to visit, but any thoguhts on having lived there?

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Aside from visiting there, I know a few people who have lived there or been asked to transfer there. Cost of living is higher than average and obviously its not as cheap, easy or quick to pickup and go see friends and family (or have them visit you).

Most of the people I know offered the transfers rejected them or found other jobs after they ran the numbers or factored in family issues.

Weather-wise, its great, relatively consistent year-round. Unemployment while high for a while, has now dropped to the lowest of any state, which has an impact on crime, etc. Though if you watch Dog, everyone is a meth-head.

Here's a link for a cost-of-living calculator. There are a number of these on the web.

http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Cost_of_Living/Cost_of_Living_Calculator.asp

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
My girlfriend lived there a few years, only been back in Texas about a year and she can't talk about anything but moving back. The only complaint she had was cost of living, but she's not really all that money motivated... She's the kind of person who'd be a bum in Hawaii over being rich in Oklahoma.

The couple times I've been there I've thought it was pretty bad ass, but I'm a money motivated guy, so I'd rather make a killing here then move there as a rich guy than try to struggle my way through 40$ pizzas and 2,000$/mo for a 700 sq ft place.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
Still don't know if this will happen, but apprecaite the input

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Like said above... A few of my friends have lived there & the feedback I've heard is that it's rather tough with cost of living. It's paradise, but ya pay for it. If you're makiing the money, I'd go for it for a few years. If I came across the oppurtunity & could make ends meet, I would.

I think the XM signal isn't that great or even there, even with the newer sats. Here is a footprint of one of them:

I can't remember if this has changed much...

Good luck & enjoy it if you do go.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
I had a childhood friend who got married and moved there after thier honeymoon, a few years back. Just like others here have said the cost of living is high.

He was a licenced electrician and his wife had a good job with a doctor, but believe it or not he could do better for himself here in Jersey.

Oh yea they where back in a year and a half.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
You have to lower your living standard there to afford it. If you look at the locals, they live in friggin shacks, but they are happy as hell.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
Well, wife got the job, so it seems we will be moving to the Island of Oahu.

Advice?

Nov 29, 2006
FL
Well, wife got the job, so it seems we will be moving to the Island of Oahu.

Advice?
Congrats. Just remember, better to live like a pauper in paradise than a king in Jersey (some great philosopher said that, right?). Good luck bro, I envy you. ;)

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
Oahu is the most commercial Island, especially if you are going to be in Honalulu, but still nice. Enjoy.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
Envy me enough to give me the dreaded "good luck bro"
No, that was a serious 'good luck', sorry it came off that way. I'd give a testicle to be in your shoes.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
I appreciate it. My Mom and sister are no longer speaking to me, but we are kind of cranked.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
Speaking of Hawaii---do any of you have friends that live there, or have lived there? I'm curious about the cultural differences and what say to day life is like.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Speaking of Hawaii---do any of you have friends that live there, or have lived there? I'm curious about the cultural differences and what say to day life is like.
If you're a white guy get used to the word "Howlie". It's basically a word for white guys that equates to calling a black dude a nig.

Learn to love Ramen Noodles! :action-sm

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
'Haole' I think. Basically 'white demon'
I'm not sure if it's important to you but firearms restrictions in Hawaii are absolutely insane.
Yeah, I never had one spell it for me

Bunch of savages on that island.

Oh, for real advice? Don't honk your horn. Ever. They don't stand for that shit on Oahu and it's basically a guaranteed ass beating if someone honks at a local

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
Haole...that's good to know.

It's not like I can't see why the natives with long memories might be a lil peeved.

They are flying us out in two weeks for a house hunting trip. week long "business trip" that coincids with the largest Oktoberfest in Hawaii...

What a country...

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
from wikipedia...so for what it's worth:

Haole, (pronounced: How-leh) in the Hawaiian language, means "foreign" or "foreigner"; it can be used in reference to people, plants, and animals. The origins of the word predate the 1778 arrival of Captain James Cook (which is the general accepted date of first contact with westerners), as recorded in several chants stemming from antiquity.

Haole, in its current definition, first became associated with the children of Caucasian immigrant children in the early 1820s. It unified the self-identity of these Hawai'i-born children whose parents were as much culturally different as they were similar. For Haole children whose first language was Hawaiian, their parents were either religious missionaries or secular businessmen, and hailed from both sides of the Atlantic ocean, not necessarily speaking the same language or English dialect.

With the first three generations of Haole playing key roles in the rise of the economic and political power shifts that lasted through the turn of the 20th century, Haole evolved into a term that was often used in contempt. Though its first usage in such context had to do with classist origins, it has evolved further to racial meaning, erroneously replacing "malihini" (newcomer) in addressing people who move to Hawai'i from the U.S. mainland. Today it is often applied to those who are of Caucasian ancestry, or those who think or behave in a foreign manner.

In current application, Haole is often, but certainly not always, used as a racially derrogatory word and can be used descriptively or derisively.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
Just got back from the househunting trip. US Tax dollars at work-thanks!

Bought a nice new construction in Ewa Beach. Doesn't look like my XM is going to work out there. Either going to have to go online or via Direct TV.

Scary to think there are no Wackbaggers in Hawaii? Guess I'll have to start my own acronym-based chapter...any thoughts?