Anyone live in FL? Specifically, Tampa area?

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
I've narrowed it down to the New Port Richey - Tarpon Springs area. Got about 4 houses I'm hoping to go look at when we make the trip down there, expect to find more as it gets closer.
Good luck, man. The housing crisis hit Florida really hard, so you should be able to get a reasonable place for a lot cheaper than they used to go for. The party options are pretty good down there, and the "live life" options are pretty good.

The real downsides are the heat, humidity, hurricanes, and the general bullshit of living in a nice place so all the assholes move there, too. Since you're from the Philly area, that shouldn't matter much.
:action-sm

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
That commute sucks down 19. The do have a toll road they opened ten years ago or so, so it may be better then when I was there.

And Tarpon Springs > New Port Richie IMHO.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Before you select a house, check on insurance. What you think might be a good deal could put it out of reach of affordability once you factor in the homeowner's insurance. I was paying almost $10k a year for insurance in Florida on a $200k house, which didn't include flood insurance (I was outside the 500 year flood zones). If you need flood insurance I think that's another $3 grand. Anyway it's crazy, and hopefully some private insurers have returned since a lot bailed out following the series of hurricanes from 2004-2007, and everyone was forced to buy from the State run company.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
its florida, good luck bro

Poison The Well

Somebody poisoned the water-hole!
Jan 7, 2008
Texas
Tarpon Springs and NPR are both nice areas. Just keep in mind it's Florida, so you can have a really nice gated community next to a trailer park.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
Yeah, but it is a step up from Philly.
This. Angry meatheads wearing wife-beaters or poor people of color pretty much sums up Philly. Not that parts of Florida are much better, but you can't say Florida is *worse*.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
Lived in Ocala for 10 years about 90 minutes north of Tampa. Tarpon Springs is a nice area. Bit pricey but keeps you away from the riff raff. However, lots of retirement communities. The old folks clog up the roads bad from October to March.

Bradenton is OK if you like a more rural area. Lakeland has way to many asterisks. Plant City is fucking hickville central. St. Pete around Tropicana Stadium sucks dick. Do what everyone else does and don't attend any sporting events. Hope that helps you out.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Thanks for the replies. I don't live in Philly. I live in a VERY fancy suburb.

I think I'm on the right track with the search in Florida. I should end up in a nice area, with a nice house that has the amenities I am looking for. The best part is that I will have a small or no mortgage.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I'm checking out some other areas the fine folks here have mentioned. I found a few real nice places in Wesley Chapel. While, not as close to the beach as I would like, it's ideal for me as far as commuting would go.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
Remember the closer you are to the beach the more likely you will be catching a cool breeze off the ocean to help with the humidity. I love the beaches down there but unless you have a tough leathery hide on the bottom of your feed you will want to have water shoes on when you walk on it. Remember to do the stingray shuffle (don't step while in the ocean, but shuffle your feet) so you don't step on a stingray and get stung. And for the love of god do not, DO NOT swim in the ocean after dark. People fish right on the beach at night and catch more sharks then they do game fish.

Poison The Well

Jan 7, 2008
Texas
I'm checking out some other areas the fine folks here have mentioned. I found a few real nice places in Wesley Chapel. While, not as close to the beach as I would like, it's ideal for me as far as commuting would go.
Chapel is a great place. They just built a brand new mall and shopping center less than 5 years ago and there is a lot of nice restaurants there. Look up the Wiregrass Mall when you're there and go to the Brass Tap for a ton of different types of beers, if you're into that, and then there's a ton of restaurants all around that that have amazing food.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Remember the closer you are to the beach the more likely you will be catching a cool breeze off the ocean to help with the humidity. I love the beaches down there but unless you have a tough leathery hide on the bottom of your feed you will want to have water shoes on when you walk on it. Remember to do the stingray shuffle (don't step while in the ocean, but shuffle your feet) so you don't step on a stingray and get stung. And for the love of god do not, DO NOT swim in the ocean after dark. People fish right on the beach at night and catch more sharks then they do game fish.
There's no ocean near Tampa. Just a bay and a gulf.

Sorry, someone had to do it, figured it might as well be me.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Technically, it's the Gulf of Mexico. But, I get it.

I got like 5-6 houses bookmarked to go look at. The top one on the list isn't even a mile (if that) from the beach.

The next few on the list are further inland.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
There's no ocean near Tampa. Just a bay and a gulf.

Sorry, someone had to do it, figured it might as well be me.
Yeah yeah yeah, Gulf of Mexico. Go 20 miles out and when you can't see land, can't drink the salt water and know their are monsters out there that will eat you - it becomes an ocean.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
One of the things I have to do is get a new bank. We belong to a couple local credit unions currently. I plan to switch to a bank up here that also has branches there. So far its basically down to PNC, BoA, and Wells Fargo.

Any reason to pick one over another?

I'll probably switch back to a credit union once I get settled in down there and can join one.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
One of the things I have to do is get a new bank. We belong to a couple local credit unions currently. I plan to switch to a bank up here that also has branches there. So far its basically down to PNC, BoA, and Wells Fargo.

I'll probably switch back to a credit union once I get settled in down there and can join one.

You couldn't pay me to do any business with BoA, and while I can't say anything bad about PNC I can't say anything good about them either, I think I've got an inactive PNC checking account with about $20. To this day the best regional bank I ever dealt with was CoreStates, it was a real shame with First Union took them over.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to be a USAA member to use their banking services

While there won't be any branches, USAA refunds ATM fees that other banks charge you, and you can deposit checks using your smart phone

Poison The Well

Jan 7, 2008
Texas

Once you get around to moving to a local bank or CU, look into SunTrust. All the folks I know that are still in FL use them.

Buds Spuckley

Mar 17, 2008
Faiwinds credit union is what I use along with SunTrust, Im not sure if Fairwinds is in Tampa.