OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

anyone live in or vacation in the Boonies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by cosmic cow, Jun 14, 2011.

1. cosmic cow

cosmic cow RaMoooooone!!!

The past 2 years the wife and I have rented a cabin on a lake within the Adirondacks, NY. This year we went earlier than normal and there were hardly any people around the whole lake. Which is nice and a little creepy at the same time. At night I thought how scary it would be if someone knocked on the door or something. If I called the police I assume they couldn't get there for at least an hour at best. All kinds of horror movie scenarios were running through my head. I really think you could kill people in places like this and never get caught.

During a bad storm the power went out. Then the back up generator went out.....total darkness till I got the generator running again. The power company came out the following night. We were in the house when a pick up truck pulled up with the hi-beams shining through the house and dudes were getting out of the truck (I was thinking it was time to wake the gimp up)....they were workers and I couldn't believe they were working at night in the dense woods....they lit the whole place up, used chainsaws at midnight and got the power up around 1-2am, pretty impressive.

I do not own a gun but if I lived in the sticks or a place like it I would totally be Anthony and have a stock pile. Anyone have similar feelings when in remote places like this? and do you carry or have a gun around?

2. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

We have a camp in central Maine... with no power or running water... mind you we are armed and we do have a German Shepherd who is a tad territorial with strangers... so nope... not scared.

3. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

Fuck you, Godless liberal cunt. Don't start being all 2nd Amendment now that you've gotten a little scared.

Fucking typical: A liberal is just a conservative that hasn't been robbed yet.

:action-sm

4. cosmic cow

lol, I am more liberal but have never had a problem with people having guns. I'm crazy like that. I don't need to hear from Uncle Ted how great guns are though. We had 2 dogs with us (Husky mix) and although each is 60 lbs they are not watch/guard dogs.

5. cosmic cow

We rented a cabin in Maine 3-4 years ago and I never got that creepy feeling of the good ol' boys bashing through the door

6. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Well the further north you go... the more "interesting" it gets.... especially up in Aroostook County. My chick was working with Customs and Border Protection and they drove way into the bush... and as she put it she has never seen so many fish eyed, barefoot kids in her life.

Oh and the reason we got a German Shepherd was due to our late Border Collies penchant for walking up to strangers wagging her tail... still miss her though.

7. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

X2 on VMS's Liberals becoming conservative once a little fear sets in.

This, only I've got a Belgian Melanoise.

We've got a bunch of land in Central Texas, completely isolated. (Power and water, though, with generators and fuel to last for months under light load) I always have my .45 on my hip, and usually at least an AR-15 in the truck/4 wheeler/ATV.

There's no reason not to have guns in the US, period. It's criminally stupid not to have them if you're in isolation hours from civilization.

8. DoughBoy

DoughBoy Woogally Cute
    Wackbag Staff

I've stayed way out in the boonies many times. I love it.

9. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Malinois are fine... basically a Belgian version of a GSD... oh might be adding another 8 month old GSD shortly...

10. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

They're even more neurotic if you can believe that. Honestly, I'll never own another one. If he's not soldiering, he's miserable. They make the most horrible pets, while Germans can still sort of ride that line between soldier and pet.

11. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Ya only ones I have ever met have been working... so pretty focused on the task at hand.

And our dog is always with someone... either me or my chick or at least another dog... my chick did go up to camp with the dog last summer by herself... she did carry something... but when a stranger just appeared... he was a little leery of the dog who was jumping 4 feet straight up and baring her teeth/full hackles/throat spitting/protection barking through the window behind her...

12. Fustercluck

Fustercluck Registered User

My dad and i used to go canoeing down the Chattoga when i lived in GA. Always kinda felt like we were being watched but i never saw anyone. My father and i both would carry, I had my colt python and he had his colt peacekeeper. I must have been in college when i learned that the Chatooga was where Deliverance was filmed, my dad failed to mention that.

13. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I grew up on a 100 acre farm and my mom's family has a 2500 acre timber and cattle ranch in the mountains. The cabins there are about six miles from the closest neighbors and I've stayed out there many times. Some weird shit has happened on occasion that I'm not going to share because a)I have no idea what it was and b)it will make me sound crazy. A girl who lived in that cabin about 80 years ago was actually murdered 300 yards away, so that adds to the rustic feel of it.

Starting tomorrow I'm going to be camping on a ranch in central Oregon alone for two weeks for work. I also backpack extensively in wilderness areas.

Now that I got my boring background info out, I do get freaking out occasionally, but whenever possible I carry a gun with me. You don't need a stockpile, just one or two that you are competent with. It's unlikely you'll ever have an issue, but why take the chance?

By the way, you're using the term "boonies" lightly if your "cabin" had power from the utility company.

14. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Do you have a purdy mouth?

Oh and cosmic cow at the minimum buy like a 20 gauge coach shotgun... with exposed hammers... pretty much point and shoot.

15. cosmic cow

well, you have to give us something.
    Yes, I know it's not the true Boonies but there was no one on the lake or staying in any of the homes on the lake (we saw a person here and there, maybe 10 people total for the week). The cabin was on a dead end road with no civilization past it. If something happened on the lake or hiking a trail I don't know if anyone would find you. The state police have little shacks sporadically throughout. The Adirondacks is a huge place..... i think it is bigger than 9 national parks combined.

16. cosmic cow

say I do get a gun in NJ...... what are the laws for traveling with it into another state by car or flying

17. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

NJ? Hahahahah. Yer fucked.

In all seriousness, it is possible to get guns in NJ, but I am not sure how easy it is. There are plenty of sites dedicated to it, but I am on my phone right now. Your best first step would be to move to PA.

18. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

as long as your not a criminal its not that much of a big deal to get a gun in Jersey just a pain in the ass. as for traveling ect. ive traveled with guns many times. and if you are truly in the "boonies" you can count on most people having one. when ever i travel i usually will have at least a revolver not far away from me. i have a pa carry permit i figure if your doing nothing wrong the police have no reason to hassled you if you keep your weapon concealed its better to be judged buy 12 than carried buy 6, i have more fear of two legged critters than 4 legged ones.

19. doomvulture

doomvulture Lord of Jailbait

Hey, Not all of us are like that. Just 90% of the fucking pill heads around here. I live just under Aroostook county but it is bad, dirt poor and major drug trafficking from Canada. I go nowhere without being armed, 45 on me, wife carries a 380 and I have my AR above my closet door in the bedroom ready to go.

We have a camp a few hours away and there is only one other camp on the whole lake. It is very and nice and peaceful. Nobody to bother us after we shut the gate.

20. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

We have a gate at the other end of our property (we basically have like 25 acres that run beside a river) and some asshole cut the chain and then dumped a load of asphalt shingles and shitload of car parts and household garbage.

And I think the pill poppers are pretty much everywhere now... as last summer the drug store in the supermarket got held up for Oxi's and a few weeks ago I saw two scraggly pieces of shits counting out pills in a beat to shit Saturn...

21. cosmic cow

America....F YEAH!!

22. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Well ergo why typically we carry... and the black/red/blonde bitey thing... and when we sell Christmas trees she is either in the dog pen or leashed beside me.

23. Hydrosludge

Hydrosludge We can do it comrade

Flying, they make proper shipping containers for your weapons. I always check with the airlines before I fly what the laws are.

PRNJ is rough. I hope you don't want a pistol fast. I would not own a registered pistol in NJ because of their unconstitutional laws. I know quite a few gun owners in NJ. I own a few guns that all they can do is drool over because of the stupid laws. You are limited on what you can buy.

I love roughing it in the country. What are these cabins with electricity you speak of?

Edit: If you are a gun owner that travels with your weapons, stay out of PRNJ.

24. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Well, my uncle and one of his sons have seen some weird UFO-like shit out there. Lights hanging very low and steady in the sky... and this isn't weather-balloon territory. They aren't really ones to make shit up, but I never put much stock in that shit. I've been out there alone when a bright light flashed for about three seconds through the windows at like 2 am, with no noise associated with it.

The one that really freaked me out though was when we were pulling the old paneling from one of the cabins to hang sheet-rock we found old newspaper articles regarding the girl that was murdered out there plastered all over the wall (she lived in that cabin). It didn't seem like something her family would want on the walls. That night my family went back into town and I decided to stay out there alone because my girlfriend at the time was driving out the next day (I was like 17). Around midnight I heard what sounded like someone lightly pacing around on the deck, then I heard some weird noises from the loft (which we sealed off).

Occasionally I get freaked out while out in the boondocks now (had a mountain lion come into my camp while backpacking before when I was unarmed, that was a little freaky) but I've pretty much accepted the risks involved. Arming yourself is the smartest thing you can do, especially when law enforcement is not available.

25. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

Might as well share this one. Anyone seen the move "the strangers"?? Trailer is in spoiler tags

I saw that movie with a girl I was dating at the time and a few weeks later we went out to my family's cabin. It is pretty modern. Cable tv, running water, air conditioning, etc. BUUUT there is no phone and the valley we are in does not have cell coverage. For those of you that haven't seen the movie, the cottage they are in is his family's place that they've had for years. Just like my cabin.

When I got there, something freaked me out... not sure what it was. All I could imagine was looking out of the picture window and seeing that guy from the Strangers looking in at us. Thank god we were up there for a weekend of shooting. I had loaded shot guns on both sides of the bed where we were sleeping. Nothing happened, didn't even hear anything, but I definitely understand that "freaked out" feeling.

The incident above was 3 years ago. I had stayed there by myself before and after that event without being freaked. A few weeks ago, I took the new girl I am dating up there and got a similar feeling. I really think it's a "protection" feeling. She's at my cabin, I must protect HER. Good thing is, this chick has her license to carry also, so in addition to the shotguns, we both had our pistols ready to go. Not nearly as freaked out because this girl could take care of herself if need be.