anyone remember Disney's 'The Black Hole'?

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
yeah yeah, insert Robin Quivers joke here.
Now that that is out of the way, I recently got it on DVD after not seeing it for at least 12 or 15 years and I gotta say, it's definatly an underrated film. A very dark and creepy un-Disney like movie that was the first to get a PG rating.
The visuals and special effects, especially given what they had to work with back then in terms of technology, were really well done and you watch the movie for the most part really feeling like you're in outer space. The robots were pretty cool, if not a little cheesy, and when I was a kid, Maxmillion the giant silent evil robot sidekick/bodyguard of Dr Reinhart (think a mechanical version of Club Soda Kenny) scared the crap out of me. :icon_eek:

It didn't do that well at the box office, but was nominated for some Academy awards at the time for special effects and audio. When I was a kid, for some reason I was fascinated with TBH and my mom got me all the merch-tie ins with the books and novelizations of the film.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I loved that fucking movie...I remember people saying that that was the breakout film for Bottoms to become a major movie star.

Freaky that all of the crew were turned into androids by the doctor..that scared me.

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
wasnt that the first film to break a 100,000,000 budget? I remember their budget was insane for the time anyway

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
wasnt that the first film to break a 100,000,000 budget? I remember their budget was insane for the time anyway
No way. This was in 1979 when the average film budget was less than $20 million. Back then, big budget flops had a way of putting studios into bankruptcy, i.e. Heaven's Gate.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Widely regarded as Disney's answer to Star Wars (though work on the film was already underway as early as 1975), at $20 million (plus another $6 million for its advertising budget[1]) it was the most expensive picture produced by the company at the time. It was generally not well-received by critics, although the special effects were highly praised. The movie earned $36 million at the US box office, making it the 13th highest grossing film of the year. The film was nominated for cinematography and visual effects Academy Awards and was notable for being the first Disney film not to have a universal rating, due to mild language (being the first Disney film to include profanity of any type) and scenes of human death never seen in a Disney production before (e.g., Anthony Perkins' character is eviscerated). To that end, it was rated PG in the U.S.
wow didn't know that..

BigTony

Oct 4, 2004
I saw it in the theater. Fantastic film. Extremely underrated. The sound track is pretty good, too. The theme song still gives me the goosebumps and the red nightmare Maximillian still gives me the chills.
The scenes at the end of the movie (after they go through the black hole) really were out-there for a Disney movie. Kinda screwed with my fragile young mind a bit, with the visuals of Heaven and Hell. The scene of Maximillian holding the limp body of Reinhardt over it's head, and then the closeup to where you see human eyes in its shell is my favorite. Couple that with the backgrounds of fire and the torments of Hell's landscape, with Maximillian standing atop that bluff in Hell with the flames licking up into the scene ...... WOW, just wow. Blew my mind!
Still is one of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time.
And V.I.N.C.E.N.T rocked! "All sunshine makes a desert, so the Arab's say"

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
do I? you bet i do, i just caught the end of it on cable the other day, i loved that movie, i went to go see it in the theator with my mom. i remember her bitching about it being PG and a disney movie. i also had a bunch of merch from it, not a lot a book that i think i still have some ware and a tape that went with it, but i know i taped over the tape years ago

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Dec 12, 2001
NY
yeah yeah, insert Robin Quivers joke here.
Now that that is out of the way, I recently got it on DVD after not seeing it for at least 12 or 15 years and I gotta say, it's definatly an underrated film. A very dark and creepy un-Disney like movie that was the first to get a PG rating.
The visuals and special effects, especially given what they had to work with back then in terms of technology, were really well done and you watch the movie for the most part really feeling like you're in outer space. The robots were pretty cool, if not a little cheesy, and when I was a kid, Maxmillion the giant silent evil robot sidekick/bodyguard of Dr Reinhart (think a more life like and real version of Club Soda Kenny) scared the crap out of me. :icon_eek:

It didn't do that well at the box office, but was nominated for some Academy awards at the time for special effects and audio. When I was a kid, for some reason I was fascinated with TBH and my mom got me all the merch-tie ins with the books and novelizations of the film.
Fixed

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Not only do I remember it and I was just watching it a couple of weeks ago on TCM. Love this movie and it still holds up well. I still get choked up a little, when old B.O.B. dies.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Great SciFi movie, easily in my top 10.

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Dec 4, 2005
Gloucestershire
Dam, blast from the past! That movie ruled back in the day. I will search it out on my DVR now. That was a very UN-Disney like movie, I actually forgot it was a Disney movie.

BOO!

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
It was cited as the reason for Touchstone Pictures to be created. Disney got too many complaints about how dark the movie was.

jnoble

Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
thats the one thing that's always made me curious

I saw it in the theater. Fantastic film. Extremely underrated. The sound track is pretty good, too. The theme song still gives me the goosebumps and the red nightmare Maximillian still gives me the chills.
The scenes at the end of the movie (after they go through the black hole) really were out-there for a Disney movie. Kinda screwed with my fragile young mind a bit, with the visuals of Heaven and Hell. The scene of Maximillian holding the limp body of Reinhardt over it's head, and then the closeup to where you see human eyes in its shell is my favorite. Couple that with the backgrounds of fire and the torments of Hell's landscape, with Maximillian standing atop that bluff in Hell with the flames licking up into the scene ...... WOW, just wow. Blew my mind!
Still is one of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time.
And V.I.N.C.E.N.T rocked! "All sunshine makes a desert, so the Arab's say"
The end of the movie was SO open to interpetation....Were they really going through heaven and hell, or was that just visualization of someone on the probe ship's dream while going through the hole? Reinhart being trapped in the body of his own robot while in hell was ironic punishment for killing his crew and turning them into androids, but was it real or just symbolic?

The original ending was supposed to be a zoom out of the crewmember Kate McCrae face looking at the Cistine Chapel picure of God touching the hand of man,making it clear they came back to Earth safely. That idea was scrapped for the one that's there now, which is really kinda freaky and open ended. I don't know if the planet they are headed to before the fade out is supposed to be Earth or another planet in a different galaxy. :huh:

And I'd like to add one more time how badly Maximillion scared me when I was five or six. He was worse than Darth Vader! :icon_eek: :icon_lol:

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
The end of the movie was SO open to interpetation....Were they really going through heaven and hell, or was that just visualization of someone on the probe ship's dream while going through the hole? Reinhart being trapped in the body of his own robot while in hell was ironic punishment for killing his crew and turning them into androids, but was it real or just symbolic?

The original ending was supposed to be a zoom out of the crewmember Kate McCrae face looking at the Cistine Chapel picure of God touching the hand of man,making it clear they came back to Earth safely. That idea was scrapped for the one that's there now, which is really kinda freaky and open ended. I don't know if the planet they are headed to before the fade out is supposed to be Earth or another planet in a different galaxy. :huh:

And I'd like to add one more time how badly Maximillion scared me when I was five or six. He was worse than Darth Vader! :icon_eek: :icon_lol:
I always thought it was supposed to be Earth. I never knew about the origianl ending. Now I'm torn, because as thought provoking as the final ending is, it does leave you wanting more.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
How have I never heard of this movie? Time to search it out and check it out.
I try not to reccomend movies to people, but the Black Hole, is my exception to the rule. Definitely check it out. Another cool thing about the movie, its got that haunted house meets Frankenstein's monster feel to it.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
It's a great film. Not a kids movie in retrospect, yet whenever it aired syndicated on TV as a kid, the "Disney's" part was always mentioned in the commercial intro/outro by the same guy who would do it for "Dumbo" or "Bambi" and other Disney movies. That scared me more when I first saw it on TV, expecting a happy ending. The ending was too open ended to me. I kind of thought they just died, not made it anywhere else, which left me depressed. Visually a great film, and well cast, but not for kids.

bb1mobile

wackbag's special mod
Wackbag Staff
Jul 10, 2007
Just wandering around
Loved that flick. I agree that it was very under rated. I just have to get the DVD release.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I try not to reccomend movies to people, but the Black Hole, is my exception to the rule. Definitely check it out. Another cool thing about the movie, its got that haunted house meets Frankenstein's monster feel to it.

x2

i dont generally recommend movies to people but i do recommend this one. what the youngsters have to keep in mind is how ground breaking it was. in both its visual effects and the story its self, now we watch "event horizon" back then we watched "the black hole"

jnoble

Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
even though it was Disney..

...they shouldn't have had Anthony Perkens killed like he was if they weren't going to show the blood splatter that would have gone with it. You don't get a huge hole violently drilled into your chest without some kind of leakage! Even Max's blades were still clean after!
:huh::action-sm

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
...they shouldn't have had Anthony Perkens killed like he was if they weren't going to show the blood splatter that would have gone with it. You don't get a huge hole violently drilled into your chest without some kind of leakage! Even Max's blades were still clean after!
:huh::action-sm
The centripedal force from the spinning cleaned up the blades.

jnoble

Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
yeah..

Thing that freaked me out is how did he fit inside Maxmillian?

That's why I argue that the ending part with Hell was symbolic instead of literal. Meaning that Dr Reinhardt died with the ship and Maximillion was just another piece of space junk sucked in. Besides, he was wrecked internally by VINCENT anyway before it all went down