anyone road bike/cycle?

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
27 miles this morning in actual hills - I stink at climbing but the descents are so worth it!

(Opie's a good egg - he retweeted this this morning)

Sunrise, perfect temps, and mostly empty roads:

Wild horses hang out in this area too:

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
I'm trying to figure out proper layering for serious riding down to about 35 (I've usually just packed it in around 45-50) I I ride down to around 27 or so, but pretty much every glove I have stops working then, at that point it's only 6-7 miles at a time just to keep my legs moving and it really isn't fast enough to break a sweat.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
This is what I look like when I head out and it's low 40s:

(I'm from Arizona, we're winter wussies)

Actually, I only need tights for my legs down to mid 30s. Upper body I wear arm warmers, then a t-shirt, and a long sleeve jersey over it all. As I warm up I pull over and lose the sleeves, and if it's like this past weekend, tie the jersey around my waist and finish in the t-shirt.

For gloves, if it's below 40 and I plan on going 20 plus miles I wear a pair of gloves big enough to fit those little air activated heating pads in them.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Take out the 2 miles of traffic lights this morning and I averaged 17mph. A new solo personal best.

blazin

I hate the cold, but I'm going to make a solid effort to get on the bike during these colder months so I can stay somewhat lean.

Friend's brother works for Shimano, so every year I get a 50% off Pearl Izumi coupon. Just got $700 worth of gear for tree fiddy

'

I was debating the jacket, not sure I'll need it but at 50% off I said fuck it....gonna use some of my Christmas gift cards from my Mother In-Law to pay for it.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
so after a few rides around the block on my vintage 1982 schwinn world sport, I've decided that I'm going to give it to good will. or anyone that wants it. I'm going to look into a new bike and installing the "Copenhagen wheel" i under stand that riding a bike is supposed to be "heathy" but quite frankly I've never been good at it, but i do want to start using it to actually go places and get things, so i figure a two mile ride to trader joes with some saddle bags..... or a basket for my little dog.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Total miles for November - 301. On track for 3462 - the distance from Seattle to Key West in 12 months. This morning was 35 degrees - I need a better full face mask and gloves...

blazin

Got my winter bike gear today

I look like a Scuba Diving Cop

Sweet!

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator

Like I said, I stink at climbing.

This has become my favorite ride though:

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Goddamn I love this area! 50 degrees at 4am - took a day off yesterday and ripped off a great ride this morning - so nice not having to blow my nose every 5 minutes.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
35 degrees this morning, fog - I thought I was in Arizona..

Very fun though.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
2 personal bests this month (since I started actually tracking this stuff this year). I like making gains in the middle of winter...

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Last ride of the year puts me just over 2,000 for the year and 1,700 since July 1. (
I'm going to be a crazy person and try to get in shape next year to actually enter some cyclocross races

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Wound up at 215 miles for December - fucking cold killed a full week of riding. Aiming for 300/mo since starting to really track miles in November - I have a little making up to do.

Anybody know of a 150mm racing saddle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I don't want a lot of pillow top but a center cutout is critical. Mine is comfortable enough but starting to break down and want something racy and streamlined.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Wound up at 215 miles for December - fucking cold killed a full week of riding. Aiming for 300/mo since starting to really track miles in November - I have a little making up to do.

Anybody know of a 150mm racing saddle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I don't want a lot of pillow top but a center cutout is critical. Mine is comfortable enough but starting to break down and want something racy and streamlined.
That's near what i want to do between now and Sept, but I know that the next two months probably are going to be difficult for getting miles in. Plus to make up for that, I'm borrowing a friend's trainer, so the mileage is definitely going to take a hit.

Heading out for a ride with a friend in a bit over an hour. It's about 39 out now, so we get to play the juggling act of trying to not layer up too much. Definitely breaking out the Bar Mitts though. I'm usually good with torso/leg insulation, but hands and feet have always been a problem.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Bar Mitts fucking rule. Temperature was around 42 ("reel feel" of 37, not taking into account riding wind). Had my newer fleece lined gloves on, had to change back to the gloves I used down to the upper 40s because my hands were sweating way too much.
Neoprene booties however really didn't do too much. Despite regular socks, thermal socks, then those, my toes were numb by the time I got back home (3 hours later, didn't really start bothering me until 2 in at least).
Managed to get the rest of the layering right though. Didn't get cold until we stopped riding for 5-10 min for a bathroom break.
Really slow ride because I was out with this girl I'm friends with and her top speed is 14-16mph at best and we got 44 miles in. Which, I need someone to slow my rides down so I'm not constantly trying to go all out and wearing myself down.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
44 miles with a rook - that ain't nothing to sneeze at.

I gave up on my hands and just deal with the numbness. Feet aren't too bad with 2 pair of socks and toe covers - but I have to remember to pull and flex my feet more consciously to keep from getting a numb spot on them.

Layering is dialed now - one extra shirt for every 10 degrees - once it hits freezing I'm into arm warmer sleeves, 2 shirts, and a riding jacket - seems to be about right. I still find it weird that with only the tights, my legs just don't get cold - I realize the blood is all there and that's where the energy is being burned - but still seems strange to me.

Feels like a little clan - those out riding before dawn in the winter. I've maybe rode with someone 5 minutes before parting ways (usually because I'm so slow) but it's fucking cool to me for some reason to just be out watching the sun come up this way.

blazin

Im trying to get my layering dialed in for cold(er) weather as well.

In 41 degrees, I wore a baselayer and my Pearl Izumi PRO Softshell jacket with tights, gloves & headband I was comfortable, maybe a little too warm at the end after about 1.5 hours.

Today i went in 46 degrees wearing the same thing. Took gloves off, opened jacket. Definitely too warm.

In 50 degrees the baselayer and thermal long sleeved jersey was good.

if i wore the softshell jacket and long sleeved thermal jersey, id be good for temperatures I have no plans on riding in.

And like you Shootr, I don't find my legs get cold at all really in general. Whether riding or just in shorts when its 45, not like the chill you feel in your arms/torso

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Holy shit, it was 60 here at 4am this morning! Been getting colder and rainier ever since. Supposed to rain the rest if the week... Hate rain.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
I'd feel like a shit head if I didn't take advantage of the weather when everyone else is snowed in.

4am ride around the town - just a cruisin' kind of ride.

Still averaged 14mph even with all the stopping.

Last edited:

Rouleur

Ah...sweet thread.

My road bike is 2012 S-Works Tarmac. Great bike. My MTB is an older Turner Flux that's "outdated" with 26 inch wheels and a 3X up front, but is still a sweet ride.

Right now its mostly trainer work and some time outside.

Last edited:

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I gave my old world sport to my buddy who might actually ride it in the spring I'm going to start looking harder at the Copenhagen wheel

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Well, you ain't gonna get thighs like these from batteries...

:action-sm

Rouleur

First road ride of 2016 this past weekend.

25 miles
2,000 feet of climbing
avg speed: 15.6
Avg HR: about 200

My fitness is officially a train wreck.