Anyone take the GMATs?

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
I'm in a Princeton Review class to get ready for this ridiculous GMAT test. I absolutely hate standardized tests. The worst part is I never feel like I suck at them until I see my score. To make it even more painful and intimidating, it's completely computerized and the difficulty of question #2 depends on if you picked the right answer for #1, etc.

Anyone take it? How did you do?

Aero 1

Mar 18, 2005
Clifton, NJ
i took it, i didnt study, i totally bombed it, got a 400 or something, and i am about to graduate with an Executive MBA at NJIT. the test is useless. if you had good grades, youll be fine

Simby19

Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
Yeah, my GPA in college was nothing to write home about since I didn't care until senior year. Thus I have to bank on a mildly impressive score to woo potential schools. My sparkling personality can only get me so far.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Took it years ago. Decided to start studying the night before while drinking at my friend's bar. Drank and studied the whole night, drove straight (well, not so straight) to the test from the bar and got a 620.

When in doubt - get drunk.

DeltaPin

Donator
Feb 17, 2005
NJ
I took it six years ago, think I got a 630. Just got one of those study books, went through it, then took the test. Now years later I have my MBA.

I think the worst part was after you finish the test & they ask the question about whether you want to keep your answers or trash the whole test. Just kept thinking back if I fucked anything up. Then I just said fuck it & clicked the button to make everything count.

Newmania

**I move away from the mic to fuck your mother.
May 15, 2006
The lily white suburbs of Detoilet
I took it and kicked the shit out of it. Didn't study at all. When I got my score the lady at the desk did a double take. I guess she thought fat bearded delinquents aren't smart-like.

Simby19

Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
Took it years ago. Decided to start studying the night before while drinking at my friend's bar. Drank and studied the whole night, drove straight (well, not so straight) to the test from the bar and got a 620.

When in doubt - get drunk.
You're THAT guy. I wish I could roll out of bed and rock the test but I know that's not likely.

I think the worst part was after you finish the test & they ask the question about whether you want to keep your answers or trash the whole test. Just kept thinking back if I fucked anything up. Then I just said fuck it & clicked the button to make everything count.
How many people are actually doing that? What a waste of $250 bucks. My teacher for the class said some kid got so scared and nervous that he actually shit AND puked during the test. He couldn't even make it to the bathroom. That to me is the only reason to pass on getting the results.

AngryPest

Mar 3, 2005
I took it years ago. Studied like crazy. I used some CD-ROM software. It mimicked the adaptive nature of the test. Don't bother with the class (Kaplan). Just review the test and keep working on it.

Don't remember the actual score but it was good enough to get me into the MBA program I wanted.

May 24, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I studied but decided to take a prep class. Glad I did. I went up over a 100 points to finish in the high 500's.

The GMAT is just a different kind of test. My problem is that I put no effort into math in HS or even at college (I went with Stats and had no trouble). So on the GMAT, when we got to precalc and geometry, I had never taken those classes before so I was struggling to bang out a good score. I was rakin' on the verbal (top 20%) and the written (top 5%) but I couldn't crack the top 70% on math.

I did good enough to get into the program I wanted (a top 50). Definitely wouldn't have made it into MIT, Stanford, Duke or the other top 10 or even top 20 schools.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Massive Bumpville!

So I just took the GMAT, that's how I do it on Saturday nights...

Did not go well at all. I did zero studying, and signed up to take it Thursday, 2 days ago.
I didn't get an undergrad from the school I'm going to attempt to get an MBA at, so I had to take it.

They said I need a 500 or so coupled with my GPA, etc.

So I look up the grade ranges and see that that's like the 35 percentile, and assume I can get that fairly easily.

I received a 440, and had a score in the 5th Percentile in the "Math"
FIFTH! That's almost clinically retarded...

Almost half the questions were those gheigh

xy > 2

i. Something
ii. Thing

A. i alone is always correct, but ii alone is never correct.
B. i and ii together are always correct
C. Together i and ii are correct, but not if i is alone

Etc, etc.

The verbal I did alright in, but the way their write their comprehension blurbs is so annoying.
4 line sentences that never fucking finish, comma after commas.

And then you have to go back and forth 17 times to re-read the thing.

"Wait, what if true DOESN'T support the argument. Ok, so A says _____ let me look over here. Wait it's asking what hurts the argument, so... it has to be. Well, let me re-read this paragraph again. And the question was...?"

I have to re-take it in a month I guess.
Better get some "GMAT for Dummies" shit.

I literally guessed on 90% of the Math.
Stuff I haven't seen in 10 years, since sophomore H.S math, and will never see again once I take this test.

Standardized Testing Eats A Dick