Anyone Using their PS3/Wii/Xbox as a media server?

skione

OA Fan From Way Back!
Nov 17, 2005
Your Mom's Box
I am, its freaking awesome. I am using TVersity with a PS3 and I get real time stream divx movies. Absolutely kewl!

Anyone else?

hypes

Flying over your heads
Sep 23, 2004
Iowa
No,

...but I did use my Dreamcast for awhile as a player for Divx/Xvid files when I had a wired ethernet connection (I'm one of the few lucky people to own a network adapter for my DC).

I'm planning on building a combination NAS/HTPC (Network Accessable Storage / Home Theater PC) for video files, pictures, mp3's, and other type stuff (I'd also like to have it play emulator games).

You'll have to pry my DirecTiVo away from my cold, dead hands. Oh, and my NAS/HTPC will work as a "backup" for my *cough*hacked*cough* D*TiVo.

-h

Ren5150

Linger Longerer
Aug 1, 2001
Can Tversity stream to Xbox 360?

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
This looks really fucking neat. I am going to try it now and let you know how it works out on my Wii.

skione

OA Fan From Way Back!
Nov 17, 2005
Your Mom's Box
Not only that I got computers hooked up to all my TVs so I got my own little on demand system. And yes it seems fast enough to deliver at least 2 movies to two different systems.

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
I set up the Windows Media Player 11 and Zune. Everything looks like it's going to rock. Then 2% of my video files worked with the streaming.

Question: It's can't be AVI, it has to be XVID version of AVI? I'm not sure.

As soon as I do some research to trouble shoot, this could be fantastic. It is a great technology. The first console to deliever on the "media hub" idea companies have been yapping about since 2000.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
The version for the Wii streams the video as it converts it to a Flash 7 player that Opera uses on the Wii. Far from perfect, but I was very impressed for what it was. I am sure it will work a lot better on a 360 or a PS3 though.

The video would make a very slight stutter here and there and the framerate wasn't perfect, but for real time video encoding to an obsolete flash player I was impressed.

For streaming something to the Wii, I would have to give it a 8 out of 10. There is a lot of room for improvement, but they have done a LOT with the limited resources available to them.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I need a better computer for the streaming. Directshow apparently doesn't work well on my comp and it can't transcode most the files.

skione

OA Fan From Way Back!
Nov 17, 2005
Your Mom's Box
you definately need a decent computer computer to running a "streaming" video server.

WMP does not stream divx (stupid microsoft)

Also I found that doing it to my PS3 was problematic so I ran a wire to get a full 100mps

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Tried streaming a lot of files. It streamed a few of the divx. But it encoded it to MPEG1 which sucked. Need to tweak the settings. It played all MPEG2 and MPEG4 encoded content flawlessly though.

Grem

Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.
Oct 4, 2006
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
The great thing with the PS3 is that you can still use the media server functionality on the PS3 while using remote play on my PSP. So I can watch my movies and music anywhere (as long as I have a wifi connection).

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I've been using the Xbox as a media extender mostly to access media center on my Vista Computer that has an NTSC TV card in it. I've been using it as a Tivo to record local digital HDTV broadcasts.

Ren5150

Linger Longerer
Aug 1, 2001
yes

It works way better than Nero.
Have Tversity, have Xbox 360, have the xbox set to stream photos and tunes.

How do I use Tversity to run the video?

skione

OA Fan From Way Back!
Nov 17, 2005
Your Mom's Box
Bump:

I just found out you can stream XM using TVersity.

'http://www.xstreamxm.com/mobile/stream.asx?email=youremail@email.com&pass=yourpassword&chan=40&speed=high'

Add that url. Change the email, password and channel to whatever you want it to be.

Grem

Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.
Oct 4, 2006
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
Also that XstreamXM allows you to log in to it with a 3 day trial account from XM Online and it will never run out.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
No use of a console here for media stuff anymore. Formerly had an xbox running xbmc, and it just streamed shit off the network.

Now I've got a home theater pc to do the trick. It records, plays, streams, plays games, folds, etc.

I don't even use my xbox anymore, as sad as that is. Xbmc was easily the coolest shit in an entertainment center since a vhs.

sniper

Front, and to the right...
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Oct 13, 2004
Masshole
Xbmc was easily the coolest shit in an entertainment center since a vhs.
QFT, been doing that for years, and it keeps getting better with every update.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Bump:

I just found out you can stream XM using TVersity.

'http://www.xstreamxm.com/mobile/stream.asx?email=youremail@email.com&pass=yourpassword&chan=40&speed=high'

Add that url. Change the email, password and channel to whatever you want it to be.
Very cool. I am going to check that out.