Anyone want to take a shot at making a film/TV show?

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
I'm not a huge wackbag community person, but I think the time is right to post this.

might there be any NY-area based folks want to consider trying to make their own no/low-budget film or TV thing?

You know, kind of a "Clerks."-type thing, for the new generation?

living here, every day it seems, I see so many film school students and grads, some way too pretentious and artsy, some just trust-funders faking it, but others just having given up on their dream because it is so hard to pursue. Then there's the people that actually go out and enjoy comedy and have an ability to

Anyhow, I think there's enough funny people in the O and A army to find a few that might be willing to try something. I'm in no real rush. Also, in this era of "Chocolate Rain" and YouTube, I think something well-done would get support from O and A. and from there, the sky could be the limit. The bottom line would be to give people something they're just not getting elsewhere. It's why Kevin Smith has a career. If anyone hasn't seen the "Clerks X" anniversary extra DVD "The Snowball Factor", you should. Really an amazing story on its own. Essentially it all came down to one person seeing the movie at a certain time. Then I thought about it, and realized it all really came down to Kevin taking a leap of faith. I am in no position to max any credit cards, but i may take some major leap soon enough.

i have no film background (and honestly, I have no interest in most "cineaste" stuff, but I do think I can create some kind of TV series that feels a bit like the office combined with clerks, with both smart comedy, pathetic characters and the occasional gross-out dick jokes. Maybe a few o and A type callbacks are permissable (I'd love to see someone say "that old gag" on film).

All of that said, I have enough integrity not to rip people off.

I have an idea based on three real people that I've dealt with extensively in my life. one is an utterly insane (but brilliant) celebrity (not a household name, but very well-known), another a well-known person in media circles, and the third is based on my admittedly pathetic alter ego. I'm partial to a TV series, because of the altered expectations of pace and character development. I prefer trying something that feels a lot like life - like Rescue Me does.

you can IM me or respond here about the notion of working together on anything, not just my potential project. Maybe if you have a different idea, even for a youtube short or something. Either way, this is life and I don't want to let it pass me by.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Everyone thinks they can recreate clerks. I don't think it's going to happen.

martianvirus

Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
I've still got work to do on the 3d model, but i'm making a movie about this guy.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
Everyone thinks they can recreate clerks. I don't think it's going to happen.
well, I am not looking to be the next big thing. I know I might have sounded grandiose (..."sky's the limit") but the truth is that I simply want to make something worthwhile.

If by recreating clerks, you mean just making a low-fi work that breaks through into the mainstream, sure the odds are against that, but I am more concerned with making the kind of stuff I can't find. Honestly, this is more about not letting life pass me by than getting rich and famous. and the work itself would reflect that exact theme.

martianvirus

Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
I'm a video editor. I'm just saying that people tell me all the time, 'dude lets make a movie, low budget like clerks'. Just saying that I hear it a lot.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
I'm a video editor. I'm just saying that people tell me all the time, 'dude lets make a movie, low budget like clerks'. Just saying that I hear it a lot.
sure, that's certainly understandable. do they say it about TV shows? for some reason, people don't seem to try serialized TV fiction on spec.
I'm an online producer, photographer and ex-sports writer involved in the ny media scene. I know enough people to cross-promote something pretty creatively. but i'm more concerned with creating something.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
cokelogic....this thread is waiting for you

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
sure, that's certainly understandable. do they say it about TV shows? for some reason, people don't seem to try serialized TV fiction on spec.
Yeah. I mean, creating an entire low budget series and trying to pitch it to networks and cable. As hard as it might be to make and showcase a movie, it's probably a million times harder to get a TV show on the air.

I don't know, does public access still have serialized shows on? I know MST3K started that way. And...

(That wasn't a knock. The only conceivable way you can get a show on TV is through public access.)

I know you're going to say it's not true but a problem I immediately see is you feel too beholden (right word? I don't care) to previous works. In your one post you seem to want to be Clerks (for a generation that pretty much still identifies with Clerks), Opie and Anthony (hearing "that old gag" is not a selling point and, no offense, I don't get this idea that something good would necessarily get the support of O+A without other incentives), The Office, Rescue Me and maybe a bit of Entourage.

I'm really not trying to crush your dream but reading your post it seems what you have is a dream that it would be fun to make a TV show and some vague concepts like "I want it to be smart comedy with dick jokes!" or "It's about three guys hanging out together, but they're the guys I know. We're zany." Do you have any sort of script written?

You say what you want to do is give people something they're not getting elsewhere. What is it that you want to give the people that they are not getting elsewhere? What can you give the people that they are not getting elsewhere?

reddog_2711

Jan 11, 2007
Rochester, NY
I've got 2 great ideas for movies: 1 a comedy that would be perfect for a boob like Jim Carey, and it's a unique story line and concept that hasn't been done yet. I don't know how to describe the other one, but it would be a higher budget film due to the special effects needed for it. My problem is that I have no time or skill to actually write any kind of screenplay, so I gues the movies will just play in my head.

Its funny that this thread was started, because for the last few days, I've been thinking that we should work on something for the boys. This past week on the air, they were talking about how all of their good ideas are squashed by the lawyers and big-wigs at places like Comedy Central. We (or O & A on their own) should put together a show of the design that would sell, not what the big-wigs think is funny, even if its a public access show like in Waynes World.......get that "pilot" out there to show what funny is and possibly help steer comedy central into a new direction.

Razor Roman

MJMandalayForPresident2024
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
it's called Podcasting.

it can be done with video as well.

just sayin.

I have a degree in TV production, and I ended up essentially working in "corporate video" cause I didn't wanna get some asshole coffee on a Dick Wolf production in NYC.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
I always thought my life story would be the funniest most fucked up movie of all time.

But, I am a plumber.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I always thought my life story would be the funniest most fucked up movie of all time.

But, I am a plumber.
they did a movie about wackbaggers already, it's called Joe DIRT

I think making a movie would be easier to be seen by the masses, look at the internet tv show that roland had the boys do the interview with, they had a spot on NBC and got cancelled after one show. yet look at the rest of their lineup

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
I got to the semi-finals in my competitive acting class in high school. I'll act for you. lulz.