Anyone watch Catfish?

espo222

Jul 4, 2010
Anyone watch Catfish? I did because Kevin Smith said it was a documentary and it was really good. I like docs and I assumed that Kevin had good judgment, however I was very disappointed. The movie was clearly fake and horribly acted. Looking back, I should have known that Kevin wouldn't be able to tell if it was real or not because last year he was asking if Bangbus was real. Anyone have any thoughts on the movie?

djeter220

User that is Registered.
May 17, 2007
Watched it yesterday. Really really dug it. Thought the heart of it was real, and maybe they went back and staged some of the beginning scenes just to set the story up better. It wasn't quite as epic or shocking as I anticipated from everything I'd heard about it, but I thought it was really deep and had many layers to it. I felt like the first half I was watching an MTV reality show and the second half I was watching an A&E intervention type show. It's better than most stuff thats coming out and I'd recommend checking it out, though not before Exit Through the Gift Shop, that was my favorite doc of the year, maybe favorite movie altogether.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
It's a movie about whether or not things are fake, and the movie itself is possibly fake. I think they did that on purpose.

Rash Rendering

Feb 9, 2010
I'm downloading it now... 5 mins to go. Will report back...

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I enjoyed it but the hype ruined it a little for me. I guess I expected more after listening to everyone rave about it for a while.

Space Edge

Aug 23, 2008
Florida
It was good but like others have said Kevin made it seem more interesting then it really was.

cigarsandscotch

Smoke and drink up.
Jan 13, 2005
Middletown NJ
I watched it a few days ago. I liked it a lot There is a lot of entertainment to be had in sad, pathetic people.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Read awhile ago that it was fake, think Blair Witch.
You read wrong. At least officially, the creators denied ANYTHING in the movie was staged or fake, and the lady in question was actually on 20/20 a few months ago.

Steam

May 18, 2003
Just watched it last night. As someone who has spent a decade online in various messageboard and chat settings and gone through the "is it real" stories I figured I'd enjoy it more but I just found it to be alright. I would recommend it but I wasn't as blown away as the rave reviews I heard about it from Kevin and Mark Cuban would warrant.

knowgusto

Dec 8, 2004
I liked it alot...

Sorry to ramble on.

espo222

Jul 4, 2010
I definitely liked Exit better. I guess I was expecting much more. I didn't hate it, but wasn't blown away. Anyone have any other good documentaries to check out? I still need to check out The Bridge and the Tiffany one. I was thinking about watching Fall from Grace or something like that, about the Westboro Baptist Church. Man on a Wire was really good, about the guy who walked across the twin towers on a cable.

Oct 16, 2008
Parma, OH
Anyone have any other good documentaries to check out?
Kevin had his mom on SModcast a little while ago and she was talking about a movie that I think was called "Deliver Us from Evil" about child molesting priests. I haven't seen it yet, but I've been wanting to ever since I heard her talking about it.

BGrant

Feb 1, 2006
I agree with the fellow above who cited Blair Witch. The big reveal was nothing, they just kept pulling people along. The guys from NYC weren't a group you'd feel sorry for, almost as if they wanted the way things played out to happen to them.

Dunno about Smith's recommendations for a while now. Maybe it's me, but like his films, beyond the hype there isn't a lot there to maintain interest or recommend to someone else.

espo222

Jul 4, 2010
Kevin had his mom on SModcast a little while ago and she was talking about a movie that I think was called "Deliver Us from Evil" about child molesting priests. I haven't seen it yet, but I've been wanting to ever since I heard her talking about it.
Yeah, I heard about that too, sounds fucked up. There was a pretty good one about Rumspringah (or however you spell it) you can find it with a quick google search. The cove was good and well made and definitely made me hate the japs for killing the dolphins and being so smug about it, but I think a lot of it was played up and there was a lot of propaganda.

espo222

Jul 4, 2010
The reason why it doesn't seem real is why would Angela go through all the trouble to fabricate a story and then give the correct address to her house or the art gallery? Why not make up another story so that she couldn't be caught so easily. Why not say that SHE was the artist and had a crush on Nev?

djeter220

User that is Registered.
May 17, 2007
The reason why it doesn't seem real is why would Angela go through all the trouble to fabricate a story and then give the correct address to her house or the art gallery? Why not make up another story so that she couldn't be caught so easily. Why not say that SHE was the artist and had a crush on Nev?
***SPOILER***

I think she felt the need to give the correct address to her home because part of their correspondence was the mailing of paintings and photographs. And she did lie about the address to the gallery, thats one of the things they caught on to. She didn't say she was the artist because part of the reason she was fabricating all of this was so she could live vicariously through the fabricated people. Also, im not sure if this was in the film, but in her 20/20 interview she said she posted her artwork online as her own and people trashed it. Then she started posting it as abby's so people would think it was a little girl's and they wouldnt be so critical of it.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Also, espo - you are speculating on the reasoning skills of a complete lunatic.