OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Apology for Slavery considered by New Jersey Lawmakers

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MJMANDALAY, Jan 1, 2008.

1. MJMANDALAY

MJMANDALAY Registered User

by The Associated Press
    Tuesday January 01, 2008, 9:43 AM

New Jersey would become the first northern state and the fifth state overall to apologize for slavery under a measure to be considered this week by state lawmakers.

"This is not too much to ask of the state of New Jersey," said Assemblyman William Payne, who sponsors the bill. "All that is being requested of New Jersey is to say three simple words: We are sorry."

Legislators in Alabama, Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia have issued formal slavery apologies.

"If former Confederate states can take action like this, why can't a northeast state like New Jersey?" asked Payne, D-Essex.

But Republican lawmakers wonder if it would be relevant.

"Who living today is guilty of slave holding and thus capable of apologizing for the offense?" asked Assemblyman Richard Merkt, R-Morris. "And who living today is a former slave and thus capable of accepting the apology? So how is a real apology even remotely possible, much less meaningful, given the long absence of both oppressor and victim?"

Payne, D-Essex, said a New Jersey apology would comfort black residents and set an example for other states.

The measure is set for a Thursday hearing by the Assembly Appropriations Committee. It hasn't received Senate consideration but must be adopted by Tuesday when the legislative session expires.

2. NoSurviivors

NoSurviivors fmeinthea

there weren't any slaves in NJ was there?? what the hell is the state apologizing for?

can't stand these idiots looking for reparations of shit that happened hundreds of years ago.

Your great great great grandaddy was a slave. You're not. Shut up.

3. HummerTuesdays

HummerTuesdays Another girrrrl!!!

Ugh. Like there's nothing better for our legislators to do.

4. DeltaPin

DeltaPin Well-Known Member
    Donator

5. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

do i need to say how sick i am of this shit, why do i have to pay for the sins of others, im only second generation off the fucking boat, my relatives fled eastern europe around the time of WW1 they had NOTHING to do with slavery..... fuck these over entitled shwoogies

6. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

Same here... my ancestors were squatting in the mud over in Ireland getting their asses kicked by the British when African slavery was going on in North America. So if your waiting for an apology from me, you can just hold your fucking breath.

7. wes mantooth

wes mantooth wierdo

How long until the money part comes up for a vote? This country is fucked.

8. Turfmower

Turfmower Registered User

The one good thing that will come out of it, while they are doing this they won't be working on new ways to fuck us with more laws and taxes.

9. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

What an ass-backward state...

10. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

This shit is just stupid. No one alive today was responsible for
    slavery and no on alive today was a slave. There's nothing to
    apologize for and nobody that deserves one.

11. TrybalRage

TrybalRage Registered User

Nice to see time and money being wasted.

Lots of people of lots of races were slaves throughout history, you're not special, fuck off.

12. Valk

Valk Spreading the Virus on NJ GSP 91 to 148

I have to get out of this fuckin state. I just have to.

13. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

My ancestors were Vikings. Do I have to apologize for improving the genetics of most of Europe and England?

14. THE FEZ MAN

i can think of a thousand better ways to spend the money of taxpayers

15. thrawn42

thrawn42 Hackmaster Jones Sr.

And after this apology, who's going to apologize to the ancestors of the soldiers from New Jersey who fought and died for the UNION?

What a bunch of dumb fucks.

16. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

They should make a game show up around the whole slavery issue. Winner gets forty acres and a mule, losers get strung up on live TV.

Any takers..."whaa"

17. WhiskeyWhispers

WhiskeyWhispers I Want To Kill You All

You know why they are considering this?

Because they cannot face the simple truth that blacks are their own worst enemy. They feel that if they are apologetic and appeasing that blacks will miraculously turn their lives and communities around and stop with all the senseless violence and killing and drug dealing and shitting out kids who have no idea who their father is and will eventually embrace education and family structure and obey the laws that everyone else has to.

Quite simply, it won't work.

Apologize all you want dummies, not a goddamn thing is going to change until they look in the mirror and correct what needs and has to be corrected within themselves. So keep on making excuses and blaming this country's past and coddling them like fucking mongoloids, maybe one day the apologists will wake the fuck up.

18. MJMANDALAY

MJMANDALAY Registered User

We have about 6 years left here. Unless we hit the lottery first.

19. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

And just look how well that worked. Validation of the black community's victim mentalities and sense of entitlement in those states solved all of their problems... right?

20. Ego

Ego The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head

They're just using it to gear up for reparations. If an apology is given, it'll be used to imply an admission of guilt. And then things just progress from there until every white person is somehow responsible for it.

There's two parts to my family. The part that came here in the 1900's and the part that was always here to begin with. Neither part is responsible for slavery. It's unfortunate that people were treated in such a way, but fuck you if you think I'm going to pay a dime to make up for what some dumbasses did centuries ago.

21. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one, because personally I don't want or feel an apology is necessary. However, if certain European institutions, such as the Vatican can offer an apology for actions taken during the Holocaust. If the United States governemnt can offer an apology to the Sioux nation for the massacre at Wounded Knee. Then what's the big deal if state governments offer an apology for slavery. Its not going to change what happened in the past and no rationale person is going to sit there and think its going to change what's happening today. Its just a simple piece of paper written and then we move on. Also I feel reparations is a pipe dream. I don't think they can legally be obtained, because for whole mess of reasons. The idea of reparations is hot air being blasted by some black leaders who have nothing else better to do than concentrate on this issue.

22. THE FEZ MAN

ummmm, the vadican turned jews over to the nazi's for slaughter, the army slaughtered people that were running away, ummmm the last time i looked around for the most part blacks in this country have it way better here than in africa........ i think that they owe the white man a bit of thanks for bringing them here for free

23. NoSurviivors

NoSurviivors fmeinthea

I hope this ass gets alot of letters

24. Kris_LTRMa

Kris_LTRMa LoseTheRadio.net's Ma

I think women should rise up and demand an apology for not being able to vote until 1920. And then we should get reparations as well.

Who's got Chuck Schumer's number :haha7:

25. DeltaPin

DeltaPin Well-Known Member
    Donator

Hey, you have washing machines & dish washers now, and let us not forget vacuum cleaners. What more could you possibly need? :action-sm:action-sm:action-sm