OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Apparently Jews are just white Muslims.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by OccupyWackbag, Aug 8, 2012.

1. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

Ultra-Orthodox Jewish men offered blurry glasses look to keep Israeli women out of sight

http://news.yahoo.com/ultra-orthodox-jewish-men-offered-blurry-glasses-look-152806844.html

2. Konstantin K

Konstantin K Big League Poster

This is a goof, right?

3. fulldevilsoccer

fulldevilsoccer Registered User

hilarious headline

4. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Sadly no, but the people who go that far really are the most radical of the ultra orthodox Jews.

5. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I guess it's better than beheading the harlots.

6. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Pfft. That's just suggested retail. I'm sure you could chew them down to about $3.75. :icon_cool

7. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

Fucking inbreds.

8. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

Faggots. There's definitely a deep-seated fear of sex present in these people,

9. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

The stupid thing about shit like this is that the point of ultra pious Judaism (and Islam, and Christianity, and Hinduism, and pretty much every religion) is that you conquer your carnal urges. Using gadgets to avoid having those urges in the first place, and isolating yourself from anything that even remotely stirs your urges defeats the entire purpose of being pious in the first place. Look at me, I'm a vegetarian! Sure, I live on an Island with no animals and I don't know how to fish, but I haven't eaten a single piece of meat since I've been here! I feel so accomplished!

Morons.

10. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

So Neon why exactly do you hate women... and protein apparently?

11. Lord Zero

Piety makes living a boring proposition.

12. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I am way, way closer to being a staunch atheist than I am to being one of those weirdos.

If you look at the world and universe around you and you see the fingerprints of some creator, that's cool. But I will never understand the notion that this life is insignificant and only meant as some superficial test for the afterlife. In fact, if you believe that some omnipotent being created the universe, wouldn't the complexity and majesty of the universe itself serve as proof that this existence is indeed worth living in and investigating and experiencing to the fullest? It's this weird contradiction in religion that I can never figure out.

I read a great article in Hebrew a while back on this topic that was written by a religious Jew, and he made the sarcastic point that God created pulsars and quasars and colliding galaxies all so that a bunch of rabbinical students could sit around a dingy backroom in Jerusalem debating why there is a comma in a certain place in a certain verse of the Torah. If I believed god created the universe, I would spend every moment trying to take in as much of it as I could, and yet these people who claim absolute belief do the exact opposite. They don't give a fuck about the actual work of the god they worship.

To me, looking at pictures taken on the surface of mars is akin to worshiping god. I am just taking in more about the universe around me, and admiring another piece of information about the reality I exist in.

13. Lord Zero

The test thing is stupid, but life is insignificant. Any afterlife would be insignificant as well.

14. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I meant more in the sense that this life is not worth living. Your life is not insignificant TO YOU, since you are the source of your own existence.

And I also don't think human life is insignificant on the scale of everything just because it is a very small part of it. I think human life is significant because it shows that the universe is amazing down to the smallest levels including us, and even further down to the quantum level. You know what I mean? Like even the most infinitesimal fraction of the universe can produce all the shit we have on Earth -art and music and technology and humor etc.

15. Lord Zero

I don't consider life insignificant because of its scale. I consider it insignificant because existence itself has no worth and serves no function. It just is what it is and that's enough. That's something that annoys me about the argument that the idea of a deity is inherently illogical (and this is coming from an agnostic atheist); existence itself is the most illogical and impossible thing anyone could ever conceive of. The ultimate secret of the universe, as I see it, is that underneath all the logic and physical laws lies a complete and total lack of reason and order.

16. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!

Said it before, I'll say it again: I LOVE when Neon goes philosophical with the cosmos, and skillfully ties religion into the mix. You are an artist, my good man.

17. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Hahaha I can almost predict which of my rambling posts you'll like at this point. It's just been on my mind recently with this mars shit. Thanks.

Now we're really getting into philosophy! :)

"Worth" and "function" are things that need a beneficiary, or some mechanism which it acts upon. So in a sense you are right, there is no worth or function to life, in the sense that the universe itself doesn't benefit from your existence. However, you can still do things that are significant to you and feel like you made a difference on your own macro scale, and not the universal macro scale.

18. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!

I think it's because you can articulate the basic belief I have on many of the subjects you choose to examine in your posts. We're very like minded, you and I.

19. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

I can get into more details, but I don't want to write an essay-ish post. Synopsis.

I am honestly torn between life's significance/insignificance. I mean yes, in the grand scheme all that we are and all that we do is pointless. But I find something fascinating about life, particularly humanity. There is something remarkable and glorious (yes, that's a gay word) about existence, the ability to create, the ability to imagine, the ability to transcend what we've been given and rise above other creatures and one another. And I think that's one of my big problems. I want to be a superior human, because if you can't be greater than others, then why bother putting forth any effort?

20. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

See, guys? THIS is how you hijack a thread. Take a thread about fuzzy glasses for Orthodox Jews and make it about the significance of life and the universe. Boom.

21. Lord Zero

I never said that existence wasn't cool. It's just pointless, but pointlessness doesn't necessary take the shine off it or make it not worth it on a personal level.

Because life meaning nothing isn't going to stop it from happening. Might as well enjoy it as much as possible. That's the best definition for life: The process of coping with existence.

22. LiddyRules

My question wasn't "life is pointless, so why put forth any effort." My question was "if you can't be a superior human being, why put forth any effort?" Yes. I agree that we might as well try to enjoy the time we have here, but I find something so unfulfilling if the best you can hope for is being a nothing, squandering your existence, and maybe go out drinking every week or two.

23. sillyfuck

sillyfuck Wackbag Uncle Tom

Superior in what way?

24. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Many would argue that it's not about being better than others as much as it's about just being a positive influence on the species. If individually enough people simply put in more than they take, the species will advance. Of course most people won't be scientific or innovative geniuses, but if we create an environment where that can exist we've helped. That may entail laboring our entire lives to help provide raw materials for production... sure there's little glory in that but it's still an important aspect, and if that's your chosen place in life you can strive to be as good at it as possible.

25. LiddyRules

It's hard to explain sillyfuck. It's not like what whiskeyguy is saying where we view the individual's purpose as to help the species as a whole so a coal miner is important because people needs coal. It's about being able to excel at something in an area where (relatively) few even tread. To know that not only can you offer something unique, but you're better at doing it than 95% of the population.