Apple Iphone firmware 1.1.1 - may brick unlocked phones

Grem

Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.
Oct 4, 2006
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
Heres the info'

Apple Inc. on Thursday released iPhone software update version 1.1.1, which adds access to the Wi-Fi iTunes Music Store, the ability to increase the handset's speaker and earpiece volume, TV output, and several other features.

To download the 152MB update, iPhone owners need simply to connect their iPhones to their Mac or PC and click the "Check for update" option in iTunes.

One more warning:

"If you have modified your iPhone's software, applying this software update may result in your iPhone becoming permanently inoperable," Apple re-warned customers in the release notes accompanying the software download. "Making unauthorized modifications to the software on your iPhone violates the iPhone software license agreement, and the inability to use your iPhone due to unauthorized software modifications is not covered under your iPhone's warranty.

Version 1.1.1 of the iPhone software includes new features, bug fixes and supersedes all previous versions, the company added.

New features include:

iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
Louder speakerphone and receiver volume
Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls
Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered
Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
Support for TV Out
Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
New Passcode lock time intervals
Adjustable alert volume

Security updates

In addition to the unspecified bug fixes and documented new features, Apple also said the software update includes 10 individual security modifications. According to a detailed list of security related changes posted to the company's support site, seven target the iPhone's mobile version of Safari, two its mobile Mail client, and one its Bluetooth implementation.

Apple has also updated its iPhone website with a new video demonstrating the new features, including the Wi-Fi iTunes Music Store, Ringtones, and more.
Main additions:

• iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
  • Louder speakerphone and receiver volume
  • Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls
  • Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
  • Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
  • Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered
  • Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
  • Support for TV Out
  • Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
  • New Passcode lock time intervals
  • Adjustable alert volume

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
The first news articles I found about this earlier in the week included claims that they weren't intentionally trying to cripple unlocked phones. But, more recent articles contain a more defiant tone from Apple and Steve Jobs...

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
A 152 meg update for a phone? That sure would suck to be overseas when that downloaded.

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
From what I've read the firmware does cripple some of the unlocked phones. It's a specific company though. And I think it's only one company, not the others.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Software Update Will Brick Your Unlocked IPhone

Apple iPhone warning proves true

Users may not be able to add Apple features to an unlocked phone

An Apple software update is disabling iPhones that have been unlocked by owners who wanted to choose which mobile network to use.

Earlier this week Apple said a planned update would leave the device "permanently inoperable".

Thousands of iPhone owners hacked their expensive gadget in order to unlock it for use with other mobile carriers and to run a host of unsupported programs.

There are also reports of the update causing issues with unaltered iPhones.

On Monday Apple issued a statement in which it said many of the unauthorised iPhone unlocking programs caused "irreparable damage" to the device's software.

The company said this would "likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed".

That warning has now proved correct as many owners are reporting their phones no longer work following installation of the update.

Apple requires iPhone owners to take out a lengthy contract with AT&T in the United States but there are a number of programs on the net that unlock the device for use with other networks.

Some owners are reporting on technology blogs and Apple's own forums that the update is deleting contacts information, as well as photos and music, on iPhones that have not been modified in any way.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7017660.stm

Nice a $500 paperweight...

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Hahaha, stupids. I love it, Apple sends out a bullet to kill all the devices which defy them.

Anti-competative action, perhaps? Wonder what the DOJ would say about this.

daemoncel

Feb 15, 2006
Ridgefield Park, NJ
from Engadget
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/ip...ctivation-limbo-updated-with-video-304497.php

Just released, ready in your iTunes. This update includes the iTunes Wireless Store, but if you have an unlocked iPhone, be aware that this firmware may make your iPhone unusable. After several hours of testing in house and with the iPhone Dev team, here is the summary of what it does:

• The update will work ok in iPhones with no modification.
• The update will work ok in iPhones with Installer.app (although it gets wiped out; the apps seem to remain in the iPhone, but they won't appear in your screen).
• The update will work ok in unlocked iPhones, but it will return your iPhone to the activation screen. From there, no activation is possible. The iPhone doesn't get bricked but —as expected— so if you want to keep using it, don't update your iPhone.
• This has been confirmed with both anySIM and iPhone Sim Free.
• "Third-party applications won't work after the update" (confirmed by Dev Team.)
• "Firmware 1.1.1. relocks iPhone properly" (confirmed by Dev Team.)
• Unlocked iPhones updated to 1.1.1 will work with legit AT&T cards (confirmed by Natetrue) (read after the jump for an explanation of why this is wrong)
• iPhone Sim Free claims that their paid SIM unlocking solution doesn't hang your iPhone at the activation stage: they say you can activate using an valid contract, AT&T SIM and iTunes, but it will still be locked afterwards anyway. (We haven't tested this yet)

This is why i'm not updating... yet, i didn't unlock my phone for use anywhere, since i'm here in jersey and am not going anywhere. I do however have a good ammount of 3rd party apps that i love so. NOPE! besides, i use usenet or limewire to get my music for free, or beatport(which i pay for but it's worth it)

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
Apple shoving even more restrictions on their products? Gee, who saw that coming? Can't believe people still fall for this shit.

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
Jan 15, 2007
This alone will keep me from buying a iPhone. What gives them the right after you shell out $500+ for a product to tell you how you can and can't use it. (I understand that is done with cars, but those rules are put there for safety).

Its like buying a car and being told you can only put this brand of stereo in it (only because we get a cut of the sales), but if we find out you put a different stereo in that may work better and sound better and do more things than the one we said you could use, we will rip the engine out of your car (even though you paid for the car and even paid taxes on the purchase making you the sole owner).

How do people stand for this shit.

sniper2323

The true north Idaho P.O.W.
Aug 3, 2006
Far North Idaho is Home
This is why I hate Microsoft, always doing things and not allowing me to do as i wish..

GO Apple.... Go Mac, best around. Supports free thinking.

(oh wait)