Movie Aquaman (December 21, 2018) aka Finding Wolverine " the greatest achievement in Cinematic history"

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Ammy Prime Peeps can see it early.
I don't know if I should thank you or curse you for the heads up on this, but I got my tickets for the 12/15 Prime show.

Social media reactions are out and they're the same as the ones for BvS and Justice League - overwhelmingly positive. So take that for what it's worth. I still remember a precocious young Neon getting all excited when the social media reactions for BvS dropped.

Finally - what is this?

LiddyRules

She Is Not My BFF. She Is Not.
I don't know if I should thank you or curse you for the heads up on this, but I got my tickets for the 12/15 Prime show.

Social media reactions are out and they're the same as the ones for BvS and Justice League - overwhelmingly positive. So take that for what it's worth. I still remember a precocious young Neon getting all excited when the social media reactions for BvS dropped.

Finally - what is this?

I'm not doing that. But let me know how it is.

Here is a question for the 12/14 weekend. Will The Mule beat London On Wheels?

Pigdango

Donator
I'm not doing that. But let me know how it is.

Here is a question for the 12/14 weekend. Will The Mule beat London On Wheels?
I think one screening of Aquaman will beat London On Wheels. I wonder if WB will pull shenanigans and include the Ammy screening $ in their opening weekend.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I really want to see Driving Ms. London. It looks funm

There's a wheel on my house!

Pigdango

Donator
Earlier this year I said Infinity War was the greatest achievement in Cinematic history.

This...

Was better.

Earlier this year I said Infinity War was the greatest achievement in Cinematic history.

This...

Was better.
That's a heck of a review with zero followup.......I've written this movie off because I felt like we saw the whole plot in the trailers. Is it that great?

LiddyRules

That's a heck of a review with zero followup.......I've written this movie off because I felt like we saw the whole plot in the trailers. Is it that great?
I know. It's like, did he sign an NDA or whatever?

My guess is that he posted that from his phone on the way back from the movie and he hasn't had a chance to get to a computer yet to type out a full review. He has until the end of the day though, otherwise ... or else.

However please note that he did not say the movie was great. He didn't even say the movie was good.

Pigdango

Donator
I know. It's like, did he sign an NDA or whatever?

My guess is that he posted that from his phone on the way back from the movie and he hasn't had a chance to get to a computer yet to type out a full review. He has until the end of the day though, otherwise ... or else.

However please note that he did not say the movie was great. He didn't even say the movie was good.
Very astute observation.

Pigdango

Donator
I hate this phrase, but there is a lot to unpack.

As @LiddyRules accurately pointed out, I didn’t say it was great or even good. There is a lot about the movie that prevents it from being either. There is a lot of movie.

First and foremost is the sheer volume of world building that it attempts to pull off. In trying to come up with a comparison to give perspective on that, I’m somewhere between all 3 LotR movies and the entire Marvel cinematic Universe. And when you try to accomplish so much in so little time, things are rushed. The world building of course, the characters, and of course the story.

HOWEVER, there are a lot of great character moments in the movie, Aquaman and Mera are really given a chance to shine - but then they shoehorn a romantic thing in there that doesn’t work.

HOWEVER, the romance with Kidman and Morrison works so much better than it should, even if WB needs to work with Marvel to figure out the de-aging thing, which didn’t work at all.

Black Manta is awesome - the movie needs to be commended for not only pushing all in on a comic accurate version that really gives Aquaman a run for his money, but for giving him a backstory and motivations that make sense. He is relatable but yet not sympathetic - like Killmonger in Black Panther.

HOWEVER - the movie has nothing at all to do with Black Manta, and his inclusion cuts down on the development of Ocean Master in particular. Wilson was really great but his story was all over the place. Lundgren was also surprisingly great but again, his character’s arc was rushed and confusing.

I think the movie meant to include all 7 kingdoms but I can only remember 5. So if the other two were in there, that’s kind of a problem.

One of the kingdoms was The Trench, and they were one of the highlights of the movie. There was one shot that was so amazing I almost got up out of my seat and started applauding. It’s by far my favorite scene from a movie this year and one of the best all time from a movie like this. The marketing says to see this on the biggest screen you can and I wholeheartedly agree for this scene alone.

How to define the greatness of the final battle? Is it “AvP:R and Deep Blue Sea” great or is it “The Battle of Hoth and Helms Deep” great? The answer is of course yes. Pushing all in on Black Manta was brave enough, what they do in Act 3 defies description.

But all of that, and there is so much more, by the way, is just an appetizer for what makes this movie the greatest achievement in Cinematic history. They not only attempt it, but they pull THIS off:

And at that point I DID stand up and applaud the movie, completely humiliating my wife and friends.

Last edited:

Pigdango

Donator
Still digesting this movie. I think some folks are going to look past the visuals and the absolute brass balls on James Wan and WB and see that there's a lot of problems with the movie, but as I sit here and think about it those sort of fade into the background for me.

It goes without saying this is the best DCEU movie by far, but I'm struggling to figure out where it fits in the all time Comic Book movie list, or even in the modern one if I were just to stack it against the MCU and the recent Fox movies.

Pigdango

Donator
Fuck it - @Stormrider666 will be interested even if nobody else is.

Piggy's master list of Comic Book films 2008 to present, including Batman Begins which came out before that but belongs in this list rather than one with Fantastic Four and Elektra, and excluding Ghost Rider 2, because it would just be last anyway, ranked and tiered, so @HandPanzer will be happy as well:

Tier 1 - Damn near perfect, if not perfect
1) Captain America Civil War
2) Guardians of the Galaxy
3) Iron Man
4) Batman Begins
5) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6) Logan
7) Avengers: Infinity War

Tier 2 - Really great, but there are some flaws that are hard to overlook on rewatch
8) The Dark Knight
9) Deadpool
10) The Avengers
11) Spider-Man Homecoming
12) Watchmen
13) Thor Ragnarok
14) X-Men Days of Future Past
15) Aquaman

Tier 3 - It's...fine.
16) Ant Man
17) Doctor Strange
18) Captain America The First Avenger
19) Wonder Woman
20) Thor
21) Black Panther
22) Deadpool 2

Tier 4 - So bad it almost makes it's way back around to being good
23) The Dark Knight Rises
24) Venom
25) Suicide Squad
26) Justice League

Tier 5 - We never HitW'ed any of them, so they can't be all that bad.
27) Avengers Age of Ultron
28) Thor the Dark Thor
29) Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
30) Incredible Hulk
31) Ant Man and the Wasp
32) Iron Man 2
33) The Wolverine
34) Iron Man 3
35) X-Men Apocalypse

Tier 6 - Irredeemably Bad

36) Batman v Superman
36) Green Lantern
37) The Amazing Spider-Man
38) Man of Steel
39) X-Men Origins Wolverine
40) The Amazing Spider-Man 2
41) Fant4stic

LiddyRules

I hate this phrase, but there is a lot to unpack.

As @LiddyRules accurately pointed out, I didn’t say it was great or even good. There is a lot about the movie that prevents it from being either. There is a lot of movie.

First and foremost is the sheer volume of world building that it attempts to pull off. In trying to come up with a comparison to give perspective on that, I’m somewhere between all 3 LotR movies and the entire Marvel cinematic Universe. And when you try to accomplish so much in so little time, things are rushed. The world building of course, the characters, and of course the story.

HOWEVER, there are a lot of great character moments in the movie, Aquaman and Mera are really given a chance to shine - but then they shoehorn a romantic thing in there that doesn’t work.

HOWEVER, the romance with Kidman and Morrison works so much better than it should, even if WB needs to work with Marvel to figure out the de-aging thing, which didn’t work at all.

Black Manta is awesome - the movie needs to be commended for not only pushing all in on a comic accurate version that really gives Aquaman a run for his money, but for giving him a backstory and motivations that make sense. He is relatable but yet not sympathetic - like Killmonger in Black Panther.

HOWEVER - the movie has nothing at all to do with Black Manta, and his inclusion cuts down on the development of Ocean Master in particular. Wilson was really great but his story was all over the place. Lundgren was also surprisingly great but again, his character’s arc was rushed and confusing.

I think the movie meant to include all 7 kingdoms but I can only remember 5. So if the other two were in there, that’s kind of a problem.

One of the kingdoms was The Trench, and they were one of the highlights of the movie. There was one shot that was so amazing I almost got up out of my seat and started applauding. It’s by far my favorite scene from a movie this year and one of the best all time from a movie like this. The marketing says to see this on the biggest screen you can and I wholeheartedly agree for this scene alone.

How to define the greatness of the final battle? Is it “AvP:R and Deep Blue Sea” great or is it “The Battle of Hoth and Helms Deep” great? The answer is of course yes. Pushing all in on Black Manta was brave enough, what they do in Act 3 defies description.

But all of that, and there is so much more, by the way, is just an appetizer for what makes this movie the greatest achievement in Cinematic history. They not only attempt it, but they pull THIS off:

And at that point I DID stand up and applaud the movie, completely humiliating my wife and friends.
You've humiliated all of us, me especially.

LiddyRules

Also, Aquaman made a little less than half Mortal Engines this weekend.

@Pigdango - choose my fate. Robin Hood or Mortal Engines.

Pigdango

Donator
Also, Aquaman made a little less than half Mortal Engines this weekend.

@Pigdango - choose my fate. Robin Hood or Mortal Engines.
Mortal Engines, 100%. I feel like I know how and why Robin Hood is bad, but I'm curious what went wrong on Mortal Engines.

The best DCEU movie is like the smartest kid on the short bus.
It's so hard to describe this movie or even get a feel for it. Like you said, it's a very low bar to clear, and I guess that brings me to my explanation for this movie.

Did you ever see Pete Rose or Chris Sabo run to first base after a walk? You don't have to do that, and it's actually kind of stupid and embarrassing to watch, but the effort, commitment, and determination are also very impressive.

LiddyRules

Mortal Engines, 100%. I feel like I know how and why Robin Hood is bad, but I'm curious what went wrong on Mortal Engines.

It's so hard to describe this movie or even get a feel for it. Like you said, it's a very low bar to clear, and I guess that brings me to my explanation for this movie.

Did you ever see Pete Rose or Chris Sabo run to first base after a walk? You don't have to do that, and it's actually kind of stupid and embarrassing to watch, but the effort, commitment, and determination are also very impressive.
I ask because I ended up seeing Once Upon A Deadpool instead of Robin Hood because DP started 15 minutes earlier and I wish I did Robin Hood.

Not that DP was bad, just wholly unnecessary so I wish I saw something fresher. If they wanted to make DP 3 a full on A Very Deadpool Christmas, I think that could be fun. But this was pointless but not in a good way.

Enjoyed the hell out of Spider-Verse though. Visually spectacular even more than I was expecting. And I cared for the Moraleses. Moralii? more than I ever expected. Very much like Chris Sbarro taking the home plate.

Pigdango

Donator
I ask because I ended up seeing Once Upon A Deadpool instead of Robin Hood because DP started 15 minutes earlier and I wish I did Robin Hood.

Not that DP was bad, just wholly unnecessary so I wish I saw something fresher. If they wanted to make DP 3 a full on A Very Deadpool Christmas, I think that could be fun. But this was pointless but not in a good way.

Enjoyed the hell out of Spider-Verse though. Visually spectacular even more than I was expecting. And I cared for the Moraleses. Moralii? more than I ever expected. Very much like Chris Sbarro taking the home plate.
Not that I necessarily disagree that OUADP2PG13 was wholly unnecessary, but if you had asked me to name the one movie that came out in 2018 that was the most entirely and wholly and completely unnecessary I think I'd have said Robin Hood.

So I still think you made the right call. Except for the part about seeing the Spidey cartoon instead of Aquaman.

LiddyRules

Not that I necessarily disagree that OUADP2PG13 was wholly unnecessary, but if you had asked me to name the one movie that came out in 2018 that was the most entirely and wholly and completely unnecessary I think I'd have said Robin Hood.

So I still think you made the right call. Except for the part about seeing the Spidey cartoon instead of Aquaman.
I still say OUDP2 is more unnecessary because DP2 exists. Robin Hood is unnecessary because Robin Hood but it's a different movie and overall, I think I'd prefer watching something newer (and don't do some shitty semantics Robin Hood by its very nature is old therefore Deadpool argument) than a lousier edit of another movie.

And I will get to Aquaman. I wanted to see Spidey more first off and secondly, more screenings = less people per screen.

Pigdango

Donator
I still say OUDP2 is more unnecessary because DP2 exists. Robin Hood is unnecessary because Robin Hood but it's a different movie and overall, I think I'd prefer watching something newer (and don't do some shitty semantics Robin Hood by its very nature is old therefore Deadpool argument) than a lousier edit of another movie.

And I will get to Aquaman. I wanted to see Spidey more first off and secondly, more screenings = less people per screen.
There is one Fall/Winter movie that might be less necessary than either of them. It's this early 2000's rom-com that they found lying around in some storage room that they thought they could release without anyone noticing.

LiddyRules

There is one Fall/Winter movie that might be less necessary than either of them. It's this early 2000's rom-com that they found lying around in some storage room that they thought they could release without anyone noticing.

From the Era of Maiden Manhattan

LiddyRules

Challenge completed.

I actually didn't hate Mortal Engines. It's visually spectacular with vistas, set design, props, sets, costumes, etc. done so well in a way that many more successful movies don't even attempt. It had a strong color pallette and you could actually see everything going on all the time. And there were human extras! (Doing HitW has made me realize how few bigger movies actually have extras.) It's a creative team that you want to see tackling Star Wars.

And while the third act is very boring to the point where you forget who most characters are and what they want and it feels like they add too much to the movie to where it becomes bloated and the main character has no arc, it's better than Maze Runner, Hobbitses, Ghost in the Shell, and Hunger Games (from what I remember about Hunger Games).

So why did it fail?

Outside of the "everyone is tired of the YA dystopia" reason. And outside of bad/no promotions (I have seen more about Googly: Battle Googlies than this movie.).

I think the number one reason is cast. Not Rose Leslie isn't bad (she's not great, but she's fine), but she's not Jennifer Lawrence. (Boy is terrible, but so were the Hunger Boys.) A big reason Hunger Games became so huge was because Jennifer Lawrence was the It Girl. Everyone knew her, everyone was trained to love her, and she had the charisma/screen presence/Weinstein sex push to make her into someone who had to be a star. With some rando as the lead, you're not getting the same push for people who aren't into the series to feel like they need to see it.

And Hugo Weaving. Unlike Hunger Games where you had a pretty decent and well known side cast with Sutherland, Wright, Tucci, Harrelson, and Banks, with this you have Hugo Weaving. And he blows everyone away. Significantly. You get disappointed when he's not on screen because he is so much better than everyone else. The second best character is Metallo played by Stephen Lang.

But there was a chick who I thought looked like a young Rose Byrne.

[

NuttyJim

Just saw it and liked it. DC Film Universe is dead or about to be rebooted IMO.

even though the film takes place after Justice League and Wan said that it’s a stand alone, if they were gonna continue down the current path it would’ve been Lex Luthors boat that found Black Manta instead of Asian Alex Jones