Movie Aquaman (December 21, 2018) aka Finding Wolverine " the greatest achievement in Cinematic history"

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Third wheel again here with my unsolicited take...

I thought there might be an interesting discussion about why actors take roles, but you answered “money”, and when I looked at Weaving’s recent career, you were right, and I was wrong, it wasn’t an interesting discussion.
Money was also my take, in that he didn't give a damn about it compared to the size and challenge of the role

I also said because it was a more interesting role. I also didn't mention how he has expressed displeasure about his time on Captains America, and he doesn't hold the MCU as dear as someone like you. There's a whole mess of reasons people make decisions. Not every choice ever made boils down to a single factor.
Yeah.

I'm still here to butt into other Weaving-related convos as needed.

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
It’s easily my favorite, but I think you have been generally higher on the DCEU than I have.
I guess I have in so far as I spoke fondly over MoS.

Let me think.

MOS - I genuinely liked it, though liked it less after realizing I was completely wrong with what I thought it was doing. But drunk Russell Crowe rode a dragon.

BvS - Not since the Prequels has it been so fun to break down a movie. Every decision was wrong but it combined in such a "what the fuck were they doing" way that it was fascinating. Every wrong path just opened up more paths that they could have or should have done.

Suicide Squad - Utter mess where they fight the Putties from Power Rangers but outside of Jai Courtney very little else in it worked. They wouldn't even let Deadshot do trick shots. I think you were higher on this than I was because you liked Fireman.

Wonder Woman - I really didn't care for it, though I get why people liked it. I think I was in the wrong mood when I saw it, and I had to see it in 3D so everything was muted, which further added to my lousiness towards it. I've had zero interest in checking it out again. I think you were higher on this than I was. I did like the scene where Huston and Fake Eva Green evilly laugh after throwing poison into the room.

Justice League - It's easy to hate, but after BvS, it's not the worst thing ever, and knowing the behind the scenes situation, you just have to throw your hands up and say "fuck it, it's done. We'll never see four out of six of them again." I think I liked it better during my HitW because I knew I was getting into a movie where everyone gave up. But Flash complaining about brunch still bugs me. It felt like a placeholder for something cleverer he could be annoyed with but because they had to reshoot the entire movie, coming up with a better line fell by the way side.

As for the future, I kind of fully expect them to remove the tattoos from Harley in Birds of Prey. And I don't expect Leto to show up because they're going to be pushing hard on Phoenix Joker in an attempt to make us forget about that disaster.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I guess I have in so far as I spoke fondly over MoS.

Let me think.

MOS - I genuinely liked it, though liked it less after realizing I was completely wrong with what I thought it was doing. But drunk Russell Crowe rode a dragon.

BvS - Not since the Prequels has it been so fun to break down a movie. Every decision was wrong but it combined in such a "what the fuck were they doing" way that it was fascinating. Every wrong path just opened up more paths that they could have or should have done.

Suicide Squad - Utter mess where they fight the Putties from Power Rangers but outside of Jai Courtney very little else in it worked. They wouldn't even let Deadshot do trick shots. I think you were higher on this than I was because you liked Fireman.

Wonder Woman - I really didn't care for it, though I get why people liked it. I think I was in the wrong mood when I saw it, and I had to see it in 3D so everything was muted, which further added to my lousiness towards it. I've had zero interest in checking it out again. I think you were higher on this than I was. I did like the scene where Huston and Fake Eva Green evilly laugh after throwing poison into the room.

Justice League - It's easy to hate, but after BvS, it's not the worst thing ever, and knowing the behind the scenes situation, you just have to throw your hands up and say "fuck it, it's done. We'll never see four out of six of them again." I think I liked it better during my HitW because I knew I was getting into a movie where everyone gave up. But Flash complaining about brunch still bugs me. It felt like a placeholder for something cleverer he could be annoyed with but because they had to reshoot the entire movie, coming up with a better line fell by the way side.

As for the future, I kind of fully expect them to remove the tattoos from Harley in Birds of Prey. And I don't expect Leto to show up because they're going to be pushing hard on Phoenix Joker in an attempt to make us forget about that disaster.
I thought I was the one who liked Wonder Woman the least here. I started watching it the other day and was like “I don’t feel like it...” I think it was all that garbage about Ares in the beginning, knowing it ends up in a terrible CGI mess at the end.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
I think Wonder Woman is highly overrated. I get that you have to love it, you white boy misogynist pig, but it's a drawn out, meh movie. It's the turd that floats in the septic tank of the DCEU.

LiddyRules

I thought I was the one who liked Wonder Woman the least here. I started watching it the other day and was like “I don’t feel like it...” I think it was all that garbage about Ares in the beginning, knowing it ends up in a terrible CGI mess at the end.
Outside of the "oh noes, girwel!" crowd, I thought I was. I was very underwhelmed - especially because of the ending but nothing really hooked me before. Its savingest grace was that it wasn't the pure shit show of Squad or BvS or League. I have more to say about those movies because they're complete messes, but I recognize Wonder Woman is the more competent film.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I'd have to do another viewing of WW to really get a fair gauge on how I feel about it. Going in I was expecting it to be as bad if not worse than BvS, so the movie's competence caught me off guard. Hell, the fact that we didn't get some shitty guitar riff each time WW was on screen was a big win in my eyes.

LiddyRules

I'd have to do another viewing of WW to really get a fair gauge on how I feel about it. Going in I was expecting it to be as bad if not worse than BvS, so the movie's competence caught me off guard. Hell, the fact that we didn't get some shitty guitar riff each time WW was on screen was a big win in my eyes.
It's not bad enough to HitW, but I lack the interest to sit through it straight.

LiddyRules

You hated Panther more than I did, but rank the three. Aqua, Wonder, Panther.

It's amazing how similar those two movies are when you break it down...And I haven't bothered giving either a second viewing.
Except one can't swim. Boom. Didn't think I could go that edgy, did you?

Pigdango

Donator
You hated Panther more than I did, but rank the three. Aqua, Wonder, Panther.

Except one can't swim. Boom. Didn't think I could go that edgy, did you?
I love it when you work blue.

I have it ranked Aqua, Wonder, Panther, with Aqua in a tier above the other two.

Black Panther is an even bigger CGI mess at the end than Wonder Woman, and completely loses it’s admittedly very interesting villain both in the first and last third of the movie. Ares is a far more consistent presence/threat in WW than Killy is in BP.

Oddly enough, Aquaman makes the same mistake with its villains that Panther does, but the overall product is a lot better.

Pigdango

Donator
The Oscars have released their shortlist of movies for the VFX award. The nominees for the nominees, I guess? Anyway, there's a pretty glaring omission, and James Wan is MAD!

• Ant-Man the Wasp
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Black Panther
  • Christopher Robin
  • First Man
  • Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
  • Mary Poppins Returns
  • Ready Player One
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story
  • Welcome to Marwen

James Wan Kelvin, you and your department are the unsung heroes of this film. The fact that your VFX peers in the Academy aren’t recognizing or appreciating what we/you’ve all contributed to the film and cinema is a fucking disgrace.

Pigdango

Donator
I'm going to go ahead and agree with Wan here. As I said, this was my single favorite scene from any movie this year. Aquaman should have been nominated just for this:

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
I think Wonder Woman is highly overrated. I get that you have to love it, you white boy misogynist pig, but it's a drawn out, meh movie. It's the turd that floats in the septic tank of the DCEU.
There will be a sequel.

LiddyRules

I'm going to go ahead and agree with Wan here. As I said, this was my single favorite scene from any movie this year. Aquaman should have been nominated just for this:

That's ridiculous. Wait until you see Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. You will shake your first in anger. Marwen looks disturbing. And RPO looked terrible.

I'd put Mortal Engines above most of those.

Last edited:

LiddyRules

Oops. RPO was shortlisted not because of the Oasis but because of the hours and artistry it took to transform Olivia Cook into a hideous monster.

Pigdango

Donator
That's ridiculous. Wait until you see Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. You will shake your first in anger. Marwen looks disturbing. And RPO looked terrible.
I was more cheesed about Black Panther getting nominated, but my fist will indeed shake in anger when Mary Poppins wins.

Why do his knives get smaller?!?

LiddyRules

I was more cheesed about Black Panther getting nominated, but my fist will indeed shake in anger when Mary Poppins wins.

Why do his knives get smaller?!?
Is Black Panther your least favorite MCU movie?

Pigdango

Donator
Is Black Panther your least favorite MCU movie?
The list is just two pages back! You even disliked it! :( There are 7 MCU listed below Black Panther on this list.

As I look at this list again, there are some mistakes. Logan probably isn't a Tier 1 movie due to them losing sight of the good villain they had in Boyd in favor of the really stupid Jackman v Jackman thing. I may also have been a bit harsh on Deadpool 2.

Piggy's master list of Comic Book films 2008 to present, including Batman Begins which came out before that but belongs in this list rather than one with Fantastic Four and Elektra, and excluding Ghost Rider 2, because it would just be last anyway, ranked and tiered, so @HandPanzer will be happy as well:

Tier 1 - Damn near perfect, if not perfect
1) Captain America Civil War
2) Guardians of the Galaxy
3) Iron Man
4) Batman Begins
5) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6) Logan
7) Avengers: Infinity War

Tier 2 - Really great, but there are some flaws that are hard to overlook on rewatch
8) The Dark Knight
9) Deadpool
10) The Avengers
11) Spider-Man Homecoming
12) Watchmen
13) Thor Ragnarok
14) X-Men Days of Future Past
15) Aquaman

Tier 3 - It's...fine.
16) Ant Man
17) Doctor Strange
18) Captain America The First Avenger
19) Wonder Woman
20) Thor
21) Black Panther
22) Deadpool 2

Tier 4 - So bad it almost makes it's way back around to being good
23) The Dark Knight Rises
24) Venom
25) Suicide Squad
26) Justice League

Tier 5 - We never HitW'ed any of them, so they can't be all that bad.
27) Avengers Age of Ultron
28) Thor the Dark Thor
29) Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
30) Incredible Hulk
31) Ant Man and the Wasp
32) Iron Man 2
33) The Wolverine
34) Iron Man 3
35) X-Men Apocalypse

Tier 6 - Irredeemably Bad

36) Batman v Superman
36) Green Lantern
37) The Amazing Spider-Man
38) Man of Steel
39) X-Men Origins Wolverine
40) The Amazing Spider-Man 2
41) Fant4stic

LiddyRules

The list is just two pages back! You even disliked it! :( There are 7 MCU listed below Black Panther on this list.

As I look at this list again, there are some mistakes. Logan probably isn't a Tier 1 movie due to them losing sight of the good villain they had in Boyd in favor of the really stupid Jackman v Jackman thing. I may also have been a bit harsh on Deadpool 2.

Piggy's master list of Comic Book films 2008 to present, including Batman Begins which came out before that but belongs in this list rather than one with Fantastic Four and Elektra, and excluding Ghost Rider 2, because it would just be last anyway, ranked and tiered, so @HandPanzer will be happy as well:

Tier 1 - Damn near perfect, if not perfect
1) Captain America Civil War
2) Guardians of the Galaxy
3) Iron Man
4) Batman Begins
5) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6) Logan
7) Avengers: Infinity War

Tier 2 - Really great, but there are some flaws that are hard to overlook on rewatch
8) The Dark Knight
9) Deadpool
10) The Avengers
11) Spider-Man Homecoming
12) Watchmen
13) Thor Ragnarok
14) X-Men Days of Future Past
15) Aquaman

Tier 3 - It's...fine.
16) Ant Man
17) Doctor Strange
18) Captain America The First Avenger
19) Wonder Woman
20) Thor
21) Black Panther
22) Deadpool 2

Tier 4 - So bad it almost makes it's way back around to being good
23) The Dark Knight Rises
24) Venom
25) Suicide Squad
26) Justice League

Tier 5 - We never HitW'ed any of them, so they can't be all that bad.
27) Avengers Age of Ultron
28) Thor the Dark Thor
29) Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
30) Incredible Hulk
31) Ant Man and the Wasp
32) Iron Man 2
33) The Wolverine
34) Iron Man 3
35) X-Men Apocalypse

Tier 6 - Irredeemably Bad

36) Batman v Superman
36) Green Lantern
37) The Amazing Spider-Man
38) Man of Steel
39) X-Men Origins Wolverine
40) The Amazing Spider-Man 2
41) Fant4stic
So is Black Panther your least favorite MCU movie?