Movie Aquaman (July 27, 2018) aka Finding Wolverine

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
Didn't see a thread for it so here's a thread for it.

James Wan Says Aquaman Is the Wolverine of the DC Universe

Right now, Aquaman (Jason Momoa) is in the hands of Zack Snyder. The director established the character in the DC Universe with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but once he’s finished with Justice League, Aquaman goes to James Wan (The Conjuring 2). Wan sees the character as a “reluctant superhero” who’s not too dissimilar from Wolverine.

Below, James Wan discusses Aquaman.

Aquaman is scheduled to open in theaters in less than two years. Obviously, since it’s still a while away, James Wan can’t say too much about the comic book movie. He can’t confirm, for example, if Black Manta is the film’s villain, but there’s little harm in talking about the titular character’s place in the world. Speaking with IGN, Wan tells the outlet Aquaman is an outsider who, in some ways, reminds him of Wolverine:

I actually think it’s a brilliant move on Zack and co. to cast someone like Jason. Immediately, the whole joke aspect of Aquaman goes out the window. You have such a muscular, superhero-y character and one that is almost, to me, in some ways… I look at him, he’s kind of the Wolverine in some respect. He’s the outsider who gets pulled into this world and he kind of doesn’t want to belong and he was doing his own thing. And he prided freedom above everything else. That kind of plays nicely into who his character is. He’s like a reluctant superhero, right? He’s the reluctant king, basically, or would-be king.

When questioned how this would-be king will communicate underwater, Wan responds:

I love the idea of underwater speaking but with a real sort of sonic, aquatic quality to it. So there’s this sort of aquatic, almost sonar/whale thing. Even though it’s in a human language, there’s this slight sort of underlay to it, this ping to it, which I think would be interesting for us to design from a sound design perspective. Yeah, it will be fun. Also, Zack has some ideas that he’ll be doing in Justice League.

Since Zack Snyder is the first director to get to depict Aquaman on the big screen, Wan will have an opportunity to see what about the character works best before making his film:

Listen, I’ll be honest, in some ways, JL will be an experiment for me to see what works and what may not work as well. And then kind of go, okay… Here’s the great thing, with all these superhero movies, you watch from one movie to another, and they always sort of slightly change things along the way. You kind of have to do that to make what’s best for your film.

Wan goes on to say he’s possibly the most inspired by Geoff Johns‘ take on Aquaman. The director believes Johns — who’s the co-lead of the DC Films Division at Warner Bros. — took a character some people see as “the joke of the superhero” and made him “made him frickin’ cool again.” According to Wan, Johns’ (New 52) Aquaman stories are his “leaping off point.”

Aquaman opens in theaters July 27th, 2018.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
So this thing is happening. Momoa flies out tomorrow to start filming.

Momoa brought Wan out for a surprise appearance at CinemaCon, and they unveiled a whole bunch of concept art and stuff. Here's a detailed description. I don't have a source:

AQUAMAN - So, this was truly unexpected. Star Jason Momoa took to the stage to kick things off, saying that he's there for JUSTICE LEAGUE, which is "the greatest movie in the world. You haven't seen it, but I have," before letting it be known that he's heading out tomorrow to fly to Australia to begin filming on the solo film of the Atlantean Superhero. Then, to everyone's surprise, he turned it over to a featurette with director James Wan and shit got real. A cavalcade of concept art swept in, featuring an armada of Atlantean warriors atop numerous sea beasts of all sizes and shapes (Sharks, whales, etc.), armored up and ready for battle. Wan went on to describe what he saw as a space battle from afar, but as you got closer you realized that it wasn't ships in space, but creatures in the sea. Think the space battle of Star Wars, but underwater and that will give you an idea.

The concept art was simply amazing. Atlantis is portrayed as an epic, monumental, and breathtaking metropolis, filled with a burgeoning populace and "creature traffic" abound. It was bright and full of life and unlike any "world" I've seen portrayed on film before. My eyes were literally going back and forth trying to keep up. We saw armored up Atlantean warriors (some in red) and various shots of the empire of Atlantis. We saw a peek at Black Manta, complete with a comics-accurate costume and "cinematic" advancements (texture and armor) and the helmet (oversized and with the big, red eyes) intact. We got a quick look at Ocean Master (as played by Patrick Wilson) in his full silver armor, again ripped straight from the pages of the comic.

We saw even more creatures of varying shapes and sizes that looked to be a part of the Atlantis environment. Wan described the characters in Atlantis to be very much like Superman in how they go around, swimming instead of flying, but having the same effect. It's obvious that a TON of thought, preparation and vision went into AQUAMAN and my excitement level (which admittedly was not super high before) is now through the roof. The potential, based on these designs, is astounding.
This reminds me of James Gunn getting the GotG gig and spending the next several weeks building a sourcebook for the movie universe.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005

Momoa brought Wan out for a surprise appearance at CinemaCon, and they unveiled a whole bunch of concept art and stuff. Here's a detailed description. I don't have a source:

This reminds me of James Gunn getting the GotG gig and spending the next several weeks building a sourcebook for the movie universe.
And Snyder getting the Justice League gig and spending the next several weeks drawing guns on the Batmobile and doodling Batman surfing the Grim Reaper like a prog rock album cover.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

I've said from the beginning that out of all these projects, Aquaman was the one I was most interested in. I'm extremely intrigued by this...with the reservation that it's connected to these other fuckstick movies.

Dec 12, 2007
And Snyder getting the Justice League gig and spending the next several weeks drawing guns on the Batmobile and doodling Batman surfing the Grim Reaper like a prog rock album cover.
I imagined this happening like the scene from Superbad where the guy draws dicks on everything and it made me smile.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I imagined this happening like the scene from Superbad where the guy draws dicks on everything and it made me smile.
That was my image too. Did you know that movie is 10 years old?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Um...

Dolph Lundgren Joins The “Aquaman” film

Dolph Lundgren has joined James Wan’s “Aquaman” movie at Warner Bros. Pictures.

Jason Momoa is starring as the title character, while the call sheet includes Amber Heard as Mera, Nicole Kidman as Aquaman’s mother, Patrick Wilson as villainous half-brother Orm, Willem Dafoe is Aquaman’s adviser, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is classic villain Black Manta, and Temuera Morrison is Aquaman’s father.

Lundgren will play King Nereus of the aquatic kingdom of Xebel, who claims Mera as his own and wants to kill Aquaman. The big-budget tentpole is eyeing a May production start in Australia.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Um...

Jason Momoa is starring as the title character, while the call sheet includes Amber Heard as Mera, Nicole Kidman as Aquaman’s mother, Patrick Wilson as villainous half-brother Orm, Willem Dafoe is Aquaman’s adviser, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is classic villain Black Manta, and Temuera Morrison is Aquaman’s father.

Lundgren will play King Nereus of the aquatic kingdom of Xebel, who claims Mera as his own and wants to kill Aquaman. The big-budget tentpole is eyeing a May production start in Australia.

Ummmm...sure, I buy it.

Dec 12, 2007
Um...

Dolph rules. You go get those fish!

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Um...

Here's a general question about Aquaman - are they going to talk underwater? Wouldn't seem to think that would work, unless they're telepaths. And if they're telepaths, there's no reason for ol' mumble mouth Lundgren to be mumble mouthed, right? Or to have an accent? I guess I hadn't thought about how they were going to communicate underwater until they cast a guy who can't communicate above water.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Here's a general question about Aquaman - are they going to talk underwater? Wouldn't seem to think that would work, unless they're telepaths. And if they're telepaths, there's no reason for ol' mumble mouth Lundgren to be mumble mouthed, right? Or to have an accent? I guess I hadn't thought about how they were going to communicate underwater until they cast a guy who can't communicate above water.
The Gungans can do it.

I like the casting.

Dolph Lungan.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
They'll be communicating via sounds like whale calls.

Actually, I'd laugh my ass off if they did that 2 hours of an action movie, a third of which is nothing but whale noises, that's pretty funny to me.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
The Gungans can do it.

I like the casting.

Dolph Lungan.
Um...no they can't. They have to go inside to talk. I guess maybe they will talk when they are in their underwater houses. I don't hate the casting either, just curious how they will communicate when they aren't in their underwater houses.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Um...no they can't. They have to go inside to talk. I guess maybe they will talk when they are in their underwater houses. I don't hate the casting either, just curious how they will communicate when they aren't in their underwater houses.
I meant they talk in their underwater houses. In the underwater scenes, I bet silence and hand movements. Let's hope they get a good scorer. Does he talk underwater in the comics?

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

Wan goes on to explain how he will determine the final voice after he see’s what works and what doesn’t in Zack Snyder’s Justice League:

“No, here’s the thing I always say, if you have water in your lungs, like these characters do, there’s no air bubble. So I don’t know… I just think in my movie, I want to kind of create… I love the idea of underwater speaking but with a real sort of sonic, aquatic quality to it. So there’s this sort of aquatic, almost sonar/whale thing. Even though it’s in a human language, there’s this slight sort of underlay to it, this ping to it, which I think would be interesting for us to design from a sound design perspective. Yeah, it will be fun. Also, Zack has some ideas that he’ll be doing in Justice League.

“Listen, I’ll be honest, in some ways, JL will be an experiment for me to see what works and what may not work as well. And then kind of go, okay… Here’s the great thing, with all these superhero movies, you watch from one movie to another, and they always sort of slightly change things along the way. You kind of have to do that to make what’s best for your film.”
http://screenrant.com/aquaman-director-james-wan-undewater-speaking/

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Aquaman Logo Revealed as DC Film Starts Production

The film opens in theaters on December 21, 2018.

Production will take place in Australia at the Village Roadshow Studios in Queensland, as well as Newfoundland, Sicily, and Tunisia. The film is set to open in theaters on December 21, 2018 and stars Jason Momoa in the title role. The rest of the cast includes Amber Heard as Mera, Willem Dafoe as Vulko, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Black Manta, Patrick Wilson as Orm/Ocean Master, and Nicole Kidman as Atlanna

Dolph Lundgren also recently joined the film as King Nereus, the leader of a rival colony of Atlanteans called Xebel. Jason Momoa revealed that Aquaman is still just learning his powers in the solo film, and is an "outsider" who has "lost a lot of things and he's got to cope."

Before his solo debut as the aquatic hero, Momoa will portray Aquaman in Justice League, which opens on November 17.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05...ts-production?abthid=590a7348e2153e2b14000032

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Someone in the IGN thread posted this in the comments: