Are PS3 And XBOX Games Not In HD? What Am I Missing

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Alright, so I've got the Xbox360, and tonight I bought a PS3 (Solely to play MLB The Show, which they stopped making for PS2 I guess).

But when you're at the stores, the games all look amazing, in HD crisp, full screen, etc.

Then I set it up, and it always cuts off 4-6 inches on each side and isn't in HD. I have everything hooked up, is it just the games I play aren't in HD or what?

Do I need to change something?

Also, I feel like an asshole having $600 worth of crap next to each other and only 2 video games. The same 2 video games I've had now for 2 years.
What else do you all do on these things?
- I'm not a big DVD guy, and if I do watch DVDs it's while I'm playing the games. In the background.
- I don't have Netfilx, but I'm thinking about it now. Using the PS3 or XBOX.

Is that about it? I have no interest in Blue-ray. Right now the PS3 is working as a $350 baseball game. :rolleyes:

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Did you hook it up with a HDMI cable or the component cables?
It's just got whatever it came with...
So I have the red/white audio cables going from PS3 to TV, and the yellow in the video. That's all.

Do I need something else? I can see how I've just been missing a cord and not playing in HD for 2 years though.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
BTW, I checked Gamestop first, $239 for a used 160Gig. A new 160Gig is $250 at Walmart/Target.
Who's buying these used from GS?

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
About the HD cables for your Xbox: The older Xbox came with a component cable or if you have the new black xbox it came with an HDMI cable. If you purchased these new then you should already have these items. The Xbox Component cable will have a yellow, Blue, two red, and a green connector.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Speaking of HDMI cables, if you have a HD TV but not the cable get it from Amazon or some other site instead of your local Best Buy. They will rip you off and charge $60 for a 3' cable.

porch24

Nov 20, 2009
Mass
Speaking of HDMI cables, if you have a HD TV but not the cable get it from Amazon or some other site instead of your local Best Buy. They will rip you off and charge $60 for a 3' cable.
Monoprice.com is the best site to get all that shit.

notmikeh

don't get any cucks on your wee
Jun 8, 2006
So I have the red/white audio cables going from PS3 to TV, and the yellow in the video. That's all.

Do I need something else? I can see how I've just been missing a cord and not playing in HD for 2 years though.
You need an hdmi or the component cables (red green blue)

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Alright, so I've got the Xbox360, and tonight I bought a PS3 (Solely to play MLB The Show, which they stopped making for PS2 I guess).

But when you're at the stores, the games all look amazing, in HD crisp, full screen, etc.

Then I set it up, and it always cuts off 4-6 inches on each side and isn't in HD. I have everything hooked up, is it just the games I play aren't in HD or what?

Also, I feel like an asshole having $600 worth of crap next to each other and only 2 video games. The same 2 video games I've had now for 2 years.
- I'm not a big DVD guy, and if I do watch DVDs it's while I'm playing the games. In the background.

Is that about it? I have no interest in Blue-ray. Right now the PS3 is working as a $350 baseball game. :rolleyes:
I got a crazy idea....get more games.

Aero 1

Mar 18, 2005
Clifton, NJ

you are a like a little, naive boy walking down the street with a lollypop with anything that has to do with technology. all this stuff is simply over your head.
but hey, good on you that you want to learn.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

:smackhead:

1997 called. It wants its connections back...

notmikeh

don't get any cucks on your wee
Jun 8, 2006
Absolutely I'm
Not sure if you're in my friends list for ps3 add me. I have the show as well. Notmikeh is the gt on ps3

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I got a crazy idea....get more games.
The thing is, for the most part, I only like sports games. When I was younger, I'd play all the first person shooter games, the racing games, etc. But now I start one up and I'm like "Alright, what do I need to do now, go find a special key...? I don't care..."

I'd probably play something like Golden Eye, but I've been out of gaming for so long I'm not even sure what's out there. I'll have to check some "Best games" lists or something

you are a like a little, naive boy walking down the street with a lollypop with anything that has to do with technology. all this stuff is simply over your head.
but hey, good on you that you want to learn.
When it comes to electronics, yeah I struggle a bit. Computers, gaming, etc. Music related or sound stuff I'm not bad.

I found an HDMI cable in my basement, TADA! HD... I feel like a rube now knowing I could've done that 2 years ago with my Xbox. Who wants to sell me a balloon?